1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Wait for fee assistance or apply now?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dcp7, Aug 9, 2006.

1. dcp7

dcp7 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    The AAMC takes 3 weeks to process the fee assistance program request, not to mention taking almost 2 weeks to recieve the required documents. So if it's now Aug 9, and I want to apply as early as possible at this point, is it worth waiting the 3 weeks for FAP to kick in or should I submit my application in now without it?
    I wouldnt not be this concerned if I wasnt relatively certain that AAMC will grant the FAP, but in the end its only $460 saved in initial application fees, which is not much in comparison to the chance of getting more interviews. What would you do? Is it worth the $460 to submit the application now, or will it not make that much of a difference in the end to wait it out?
    (I still have secondaries to get to, but by the time I'm done with those, perhaps the FAP will have finished processing.)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MahSpoon

MahSpoon is TOOOOO big
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The FAP should be a waiver for people who CAN'T afford the application fee, not those who simply would like it. If you can afford it then you should go ahead and get the ball rolling with your app.

To some, "only $460" is a lot that they just don't have

4. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it takes three weeks to find out?

i was notified within seconds of clicking "submit" that i didnt qualify

5. dcp7

dcp7 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    As far as the AAMC is concerned, their requirements are strictly based on 2005 income from you and your parents along with any other non-taxable income. If total income is less than 200% of the US poverty line for the household, than applicants are approved. Unfortunately, they take up to 3 weeks to process the application and grant the fee waivers.

Under those straightforward guidelines, I'm hoping my request is approved. My concern is although I can currently afford to pay the initial fees through saved money (though it would leave little to nothing in the bank balance), will my chances of getting interviews significantly go down applying out of state after waiting that long? My app is not stellar so I am applying to around 25 schools. The real concern is what I'm sacrificing by waiting for FAP to process. Its already August, and it would not be until the end of the month that I could submit AMCAS with a fee waiver. Tough to balance, money or better interview chances?