Wait for score or submit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted261193

i took the june 16 mcat with the expected score release date at july 19.

this is my RETAKE. so technically, i already have a score that's decent enough that i can apply to some schools. however, i think my retake score is going to be at least 1-2 points higher (on practice tests i was getting was getting 4-5 points higher, but the actual exam was very iffy, so i don't know if i ended up doing just as well).

so my question is: considering how late the second score comes out (july 19), should i just submit now? or can i afford to wait until i get my mcat score? if i submit now, how should i pick my schools knowing that my mcat score could be anywhere from 2-5 points higher than my current one?

Members don't see this ad.

i took the june 16 mcat with the expected score release date at july 19.

this is my RETAKE. so technically, i already have a score that's decent enough that i can apply to some schools. however, i think my retake score is going to be at least 1-2 points higher (on practice tests i was getting was getting 4-5 points higher, but the actual exam was very iffy, so i don't know if i ended up doing just as well).

so my question is: considering how late the second score comes out (july 19), should i just submit now? or can i afford to wait until i get my mcat score? if i submit now, how should i pick my schools knowing that my mcat score could be anywhere from 2-5 points higher than my current one?
i'm in the same boat as you and I called some of the schools on my list and they said they will wait for the second score before they review your file and make their decision. so submit ASAP so you can get verified.

if you're not sure, you can always call your prospective schools to double-check.

I would just submit now - schools are going to get the second score regardless. Might as well submit and get the benefit of faster verification.

Somewhat similar situation. I'm still working on my PS, and I took my first--hopefully only--MCAT on 6/16. I won't be receiving my score until 7/19. Will submitting my application before my MCAT score comes in benefit me in any way?

More specifically,
1. No submission = no verification?
2. Upon verification, do most schools send out secondaries despite not having a complete application (e.g., not having all LORs in yet, or not having an MCAT score in yet)?

These were some details I couldn't find looking around.

Members don't see this ad :)
More specifically,
2. Upon verification, do most schools send out secondaries despite not having a complete application (e.g., not having all LORs in yet, or not having an MCAT score in yet)?

1. Yes... Come on now, why would your application be officially verified if you haven't officially submitted it?
2. I think some schools do send out secondaries based just on GPA/ECs/PS, but the majority of them wait until they have your MCAT score to send the secondaries out. Also, LORs are not required to get a secondary.

Here's what I would do:

1) Submit now so you can get verified.
2) Select med schools in your state of residency or with lower MCAT averages now
3) When you get your scores, add on more schools in your score range

1. Yes... Come on now, why would your application be officially verified if you haven't officially submitted it?

I don't think there's any unofficial verification/submission, so stating that it's official verification/submission doesn't really support what you're saying. Thanks for confirming the process, though.

Here's what I would do:

Still working on the PS, unfortunately. :(

Here's what I would do:

2) Select med schools in your state of residency or with lower MCAT averages now
3) When you get your scores, add on more schools in your score range

okay, i've been seeing this advice a lot on sdn. i just wanted to check -- it IS possible to add schools after you submit your amcas, right?

okay, i've been seeing this advice a lot on sdn. i just wanted to check -- it IS possible to add schools after you submit your amcas, right?

Yes. You should really read the AMCAS instruction manual. I believe it's page 70 where they tell you what you can change after submission.

Somewhat similar situation. I'm still working on my PS, and I took my first--hopefully only--MCAT on 6/16. I won't be receiving my score until 7/19. Will submitting my application before my MCAT score comes in benefit me in any way?

More specifically,

These were some details I couldn't find looking around.

Unless you're applying to schools that screen for their secondaries, you'll get the secondary when your application is verified. However, your application won't be complete (and therefore reviewed) until your MCAT score is received.