wait list confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophie13e

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people are waitlisted out of those interviewed? Are people immediately rejected or placed on hold?

Members don't see this ad.

sophie-
After interviews a good amount of people are waitlisted...and, a good amount of those people, depending on the school of course, may end up coming off the waitlist.
Take cornell, for instance, where I will be a first year this august (I deferred matriculation for a year) Within my entering class, 40 percent will have come in off the wait list!

So fret not, but instead focus on what you will do should things not work out- better to be safe than sorry- and consider writing a letter to the admissions office explaining why you would love to attend their school, if taken off the waitlist. Also, if you can, try to see if you know anyone at the school, or any doctors who have been your mentors, who might be able to call and find out exactly how high up you are on the list- it will give you a more exact idea of how much of you application you might need to alter should you not get in this year.

All the best!

Elisabeth in NY

Thanks for your help. It's somewhat of a relief to know that people are accepted off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Sophie,

Did you look at my posting "Alternate List Limbo"? If not, you may want to take a peek. I hope that you find the info helpful. What I've been told by the schools that I'm wait-listed on is that movement is slow at the moment. However, next month is when things(hopefully good) should happen.

Good Luck!
smile.gif

Mario

It is a slow time right now for those of us anxiously awaiting hearing about alternate list position. Most people who have been given actual offers are now deciding exactly where they'd like to go. Most schools request that by May 15 you let them know if you will be attending that school. The only problem is that this date is not enforacable (i.e. you can still tell several schools your coming), the only way you get burned is by losing your security deposit. The later half of May and June is when information should start coming out again. Schools will have most likely ranked their lists, and will also know how many people from the offers that they've made will be declining.