wait list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phattyacid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:p
So I interviewed at two school, both in late Oct. I was wait-listed almost immediately by both. I was wondering when schools typically let wait-listed applicants know what their final decision is. Am I going to have to wait until summer time to find out? Also, is it a bad idea to call/email the school and ask what my chances are? Just a bit anxious I suppose.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The earliest you will hear anything will be when they stop interviewing applicants and when open seats become available. Being on a waitlist is very trying on a person's patience because the latest you may hear about an acceptance is the day of orientation. It won't hurt to call the schools to see how you stand, but they probably won't know until they stop interviewing and the waitlist is finalized. Your chances depend on whether or not the waitlists are ranked or not and where you stand compared to everyone else on the list. I hope you hear some good news as soon as possible, good luck!

IMHO and experience, wait lists suck. I applied to medical schools three times. (third time was a charm.) The first year I applied: 3interviews 3 wait list. Second time I applied 6 interviews and 6 waitlists. Third time I applied 4 interviews, and 1 acceptance....I dont know about the other schools since it was in the Texas system and we match here. My point, it is random if wait list lets you in. They can inform you up untill a few weeks before matriculation. Schools try to fill up all possible slots, and people have been accepted at the last minute.

(and for those people who are wondering why it was so hard for me to get in, I do not know. For my pride, here is my story:
Attended a top 25 University
GPA was the problem: 3. 4 GPA 3.4 Science GPA
35 on MCAT
President of different college clubs
Volunteered in medical and non medical
Research in biomedical sciences
and, according to the schools that I called, I interview well.

Why did I not get into medical school the first or second time?
There are many..many...many people applying to each slot at any given medical school. some people have bad luck.

My advice to you if you have trouble getting, and hopefully you will get accepted this year, do not loose hope. Work for a year in research, and reapply. Keep re-applying if it is what you really want to do with your life. Talk to medical schools and see what areas you can improve upon in your application. (be forewarned, they may just tell you that your application is fine and just reapply, which does not work...hehe)

sorry about the rant +pissed+ , something personal.

Good luck with all!