Wait listed at an M.D. program but in a D.O. program...what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siednarb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that I am wait listed at a M.D. school (Wayne State - a state school in Michigan) but I am already in a D.O. program (UNECOM) The tution at Wayne compels me to wait, but I think I like the school better in Maine (its a smaller class, more community feeling) The thing is that I need to sign a lease soon and move my stuff to Maine if that is where I am going...what should I do? How long should I wait? Any advice anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, I really hope that the Dean of your school does not find out who you are because you will have the lukewarm recommendations of all lukewarm recommendations when you apply for residencies if the allopathic program falls through.

is that supposed to scare me or something? I told them at my interview that one allopathic school i applied to was this one because of the cheaper tuition, they know I am committed to UNECOM and the DO philosphy, but sometimes, money talks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I am going to a MI state school also, and made that choice due to $. I applied at UNECOM and was rejected. I am starting an MD program in the fall. Honestly, I, too, like the DO philosophy. Out of several applications to DO and MD programs, I was only granted interviews at MD programs. If I were in your shoes, I would go to UNECOM. Wayne is a good school, but it definately does not have the philosophy you are looking for. Take UNECOM, pay the tuition, work hard to pay off the loans, and BE HAPPY with YOURSELF. Realize that not all areas of the country have the same high regard for D.O.'s as the Michigan patient communities do. My hometown has 50% D.O.'s. Do not have any regrets in your choice. I chose to stay in state because the cost difference made no curriculum or philosophy difference. If UNECOM called me today I would be in a U-Haul to Biddeford immediately! CONGRATS!

Wayne State is now requiring its med students to do a round with "alternative health practitioners." It still isn't DO philosophy, but I thought you might like to know.

[This message has been edited by dolly (edited 05-28-2000).]