wait listed at an M.D. program, but in a D.O. program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siednarb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just was informed that I was wait listed at the one M.D. program I interviewed at (Wayne State) but I also have received admission to a D.O. program at UNECOM. The thing is that I can't wait that long because I need to sign a lease and move my stuff to Maine if that's where I am going. The tuition at Wayne is a lot cheaper since its a state school...how long should I wait...what should I do. Help anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your shoes and wanted a DO or a MD, then I'd go ahead and plan my future for the DO school. Sign the lease and prepare the move. If you are taken off the wait list and accepted, then break your lease (the penalty won't be more than a few hundred bucks...I broke a lease in NYC and they charged me only $50) and move your things back to Wayne. Always prepare for the worse while hoping for the best.

------------------

How ironic, I just got wait-listed myself over at Wayne State. If you email me your bio and stats I could give you a better opinion. However, I wouldn't hold your breath on Wayne St. I'm not expecting much either. They'll be pulling people off the list as late as the first week in August during orientation. When does UNECOM start? I recommend you get all your ducks in a row for UNECOM and don't worry about deciding between Wayne and UNECOM until you actually get accepted. That's what I'm doing.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Members don't see this ad :)
DocGibby - i have a question for you - assuming you do get into Wayne State - where would you go? MSUCOM or Wayne? Grant it for you the move is easier because both are in Michigan (I'm assuming you are from Michigan as well) But you are right - we dont' really have a choice right now in the matter, and I think I am going to sign a lease on Tuesday and plan to move out o Maine at the end of June. UNECOME begins July 31st. And I too have heard that Wayne pulls people from the wait list as late as orientation. I've also heard from people who got pulled from the wait list after only waitin one week.

What do you wish to be?? MD or DO?? For me, being in medical school for the MD is a choice, and DO being the alternative. However, I do not think you should force yourself into a DO program if you really want to be an MD. Maybe ask Wayne State for an extention/year off then reapply again for the MD program. Good luck!

I think you might want to do a little research on what the differences are between allopathic and osteopathic medicine. I would recommend reading Norman Gevitz's "The D.O.'s" before making your decision. It sounds like you're holding Osteopathy waiting in the wings as an alternate choice. Maybe once you found out more about it it would become your first choice, as it was mine.

------------------
Scott
MSUCOM Class of 2004

Siednarb,

I've been thinking about it, at length, lately and after weighing all the pros/cons, I would chose MSUCOM over Wayne. In the end, I believe MSU will make me much happier. I get excited when I think about MSUCOM. I don't get the same feelings for Wayne St. It's a great school, but it's just not me. I guess, to each his/her own.