Wait or go Carribean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurotic_Applicant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am waiting on what is certain to be a final rejection from the schools at which I interviewed. I need some advice about what to do next. My stats are: 3.5 gpa, 28 MCATs. I've had a mixture of clinical & research experiences, but much more research. In fact, I'm working in a rather prestigious lab now. I'm 27 years old, feeling like I'm going on 40. Should I go through AMCAS again (and therefore go through another year of anxiety) or scramble to go to a Caribbean school this fall? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this cycle your first AMCAS? Unless you get rejected, you're still in the running. Your MCAT is probably the weak link in your application. If I were you, I'd be signing up for the Aug 2000 MCAT and prep for it over the summer while getting my 2001 AMCAS application. Even though your AMCAS will be held up for the MCAT results, I'd get the AMCAS in over the summer.

I'd hold off on the Caribbean schools until you can't get in to US schools again. Many successful applicants get in on repeat applications. The perks of a US MD is significant priority into a US residency over that of the equivalent IMG MD.

------------------
[

Thanks for the advice. I had just been a bit impatient, but I was gearing up to take the MCATs again. My ultimate goal is to do work in international health, particularly in asia and in the area of infectious diseases. I do agree that a US medical degree would give me a better ticket into residencies. However, considering my goals, would training in the Caribbean ever be considered a benefit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Benefit? No. At best, it won't count against you. I would also think it would depend on which Asian country you plan on practicing in. Many foriegn countries don't have biases against medical education in other foriegn countries. On the flip side, many foreign countries DO hold american medical education in high esteem.

If you're thinking Caribbean, then let me tell you something about St George's. I think they have a tropical infectious disease research project going on at the True Blue Campus in Grenada.

That sounds interesting (the research project in Grenada). Would you recommend St Georges as the best school down there? Also would you think that I'd have any trouble getting in? My only concern about St. Georges is the expense. Is it an approved school for US stafford loans?

SGU is a stafford approved school if you're a US Citizen. They offer clinicals in US hospitals. Your credentials are pretty good save the MCAT scores. You should be competitive for quite a few US schools.

Stephanie has a pretty informative St George's webpage at:
http://travel.to/sgusom

If you go to SGU, you better make sure that's what you really want.