wait til August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adennis

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my first practice test yesterday (I know, I'm way behind).. and my score sucked!

My verbal was decent.. and I could probably get it up to where it needs to be, but my PS and BS were horrible..

I haven't had much time to review.. been trying to keep us with the coarseload from hell this semester.

I'm wondering if I should just hang it up until August... I really don't want to "put all my eggs in one basket" with the August test, but if I'm going to go in there and embarass myself in April, I don't want to do it.

I'm wondering if I should just concentrate on trying to finish this semester in decent fashion or cram for the next 3 weeks trying to review and take more practice exams..

Of course no one can make this decision for me.. but I'm not exactly rational about this.. so looking for some thought from the outside.

So, should I wait or is it worth it to go ahead? any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Adennis,
If you will do well in April, go for it. If you are not ready, then wait. Yeah, August test takers are at a disadvantage, but if you think you will score 5 points higher in August, then wait. The 5 points are worth the wait. Just make sure you dedicate time this summer to studying your butt off. Worst case scenario, you can apply to med school the following year and take a year off to travel or do research or take more classes. Good luck! I had to make a similar decision because I am simply not prepared for the April test, and I am going to make sure I walk in to the MCAT ready to kick some a$$.

:)

Agree. It's better to do well in August, than lousy in April. Even if by a couple of points. Just make sure that all your applications (with secondaries) and transacripts are submitted and confirmed way before mid-October.

my .02

i say wait until august... finish out your semester strong and them concentrate on the august mcat. i was going to be an april mcater and made my decision about a week and a half ago to hold off until the summer. my situation is probably a lot different from yours, as i feel that time is getting shorter (graduated in 02). taking the august mcat will push my application back a whole other year (was hoping to start fall of 05). for my own personal reasons, i couldnt afford to have an application sitting in an admissions office until late october when my scores came. dont let the fact that the scores are released any later stop you from optimizing your performance. ive taken quite a few years off and am the only person in my "crew" thats -not- in medical school or a residenct. the truth of the matter is that what is most important is presenting the strongest application possible - and the MCAT is a large portion of it (sadly so, for many...)

so, don't worry. there are lots of people in your boat. you really only want to take it once... take the time to nail it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though I had enough time to prepare for the April exam, I am delaying till August because of medical reason as well as my verbal score. Even if I get above 11 on both physical and biological section, if I get 5 or 6 on verbal score, (though I'm ESL), I would rather take MCAT in August and do well on every section. In my opinion, overall score doesn't mean anything if I get 5 on verbal. I'm applying this year.

I have decided to wait until August. I really don't feel like I have spent enough time reviewing, and given the way my semester has gone thus far, I want to focus on my classes right now and try to finish the semester out strong.

Even though I have some obligations this summer (summer school, volunteering, etc) I will spend a lot of time studying and reviewing material and I should be ready to knock it out when August comes. Everyone's input was absolutely invaluable and I appreciate it greatly.

Thanks again!
Andrea