Wait till next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoubtfulCoho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just about to get my primary in, but I'm having second thoughts on doing it this year.

I'dlike your thoughts on whether or not I should wait until next app season and take a glide year-and-a-half.

cGPA: 3.38, sGPA: 3.53 with an upward trend on both and straight As in pre-reqs
MCAT: 39M (12 Phys/13 Verb/14 Bio)

~100 hours of shadowing 4 specialities
2 years teaching supplemental orgo classes
1 semester orgo research (all reactions failed heroically, so no pubs)
1 semester as microbiology TA
~100 hours non-medical volunteering

I'm a Michigan resident and I think i'll get into either MSU or Wayne State, but I'd like a better chance at some choicer schools.

If I hold off I'll have a chance to work on clinical EC's etc., my GPA ought to pass 3.4 and if I retake the MCAT I'm confident I can break 40 and replace that frankly embarassing writing score.

ON THE OTHER HAND I'm impatient and I've already put this off for one year for a study abroad that didn't end up happening.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just about to get my primary in, but I'm having second thoughts on doing it this year.

I'dlike your thoughts on whether or not I should wait until next app season and take a glide year-and-a-half.

cGPA: 3.38, sGPA: 3.53 with an upward trend on both and straight As in pre-reqs
MCAT: 39M (12 Phys/13 Verb/14 Bio)

~100 hours of shadowing 4 specialities
2 years teaching supplemental orgo classes
1 semester orgo research (all reactions failed heroically, so no pubs)
1 semester as microbiology TA
~100 hours non-medical volunteering

I'm a Michigan resident and I think i'll get into either MSU or Wayne State, but I'd like a better chance at some choicer schools.

If I hold off I'll have a chance to work on clinical EC's etc., my GPA ought to pass 3.4 and if I retake the MCAT I'm confident I can break 40 and replace that frankly embarassing writing score.

ON THE OTHER HAND I'm impatient and I've already put this off for one year for a study abroad that didn't end up happening.

Apply this year. You have a good chance.

You should also apply to Univ of Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
i cant believe you are thinking of retaking a 39. no offense, but are you insane/a troll?? do well on secondaries and i seriously doubt any school will care about the M.

you should be able to get in this year, yes, but i wouldn't go so far as to start naming the schools that will accept you. you'd still need to apply broadly and hope for the best

& it seems you are trying to be picky and get into more prestigious schools.. proceed at your own risk...but whatever you do, DO NOT RETAKE A 39.

check this out : http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

I agree. Do not retake the MCAT. It's a really good score.

I was getting 41-42 on practice tests back before I took it in Aug '07, and I haven't retaken it yet for the obvious reasons, but the score is old enough that next cycle more schools than just a few UC campuses will need me to retake it.

I plan to apply much more widely than MSU and Wayne, those are just the in-state schools where I feel pretty good about my chances.

If you do worse on the repeat, it may hurt your chances and you would've wasted a year of your life.