Wait until Aug 1st to submit AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GavinThePremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently in two minds as to whether or not I should delay submitting my application in order to wait for summer classes.

I'm sitting at a 3.50 sGPA and a 3.67 cGPA, 34 MCAT (11/11/12).

With my 4 summer courses, I'd bump up to 3.56 sGPA, and a 3.70 cGPA.

I'm mainly concerned with my science GPA. And I can't figure out if it's worth it to apply later but have a higher GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I would submit early, and then send grade updates later.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you already know the grades you will receive for thise summer courses?

Submit early. I wish I had more complete data to work with but I am willing to be it is worth way more than a small GPA boost you could inform the adcom of later. June 1st.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I'm currently in two minds as to whether or not I should delay submitting my application in order to wait for summer classes.

I'm sitting at a 3.50 sGPA and a 3.67 cGPA, 34 MCAT (11/11/12).

With my 4 summer courses, I'd bump up to 3.56 sGPA, and a 3.70 cGPA.

I'm mainly concerned with my science GPA. And I can't figure out if Tis worth it to apply later but have a higher GPA.
Whether one earns a 34 or a 36 on the MCAT, the strength of such a score is enough to compensate for a weaker sGPA (assuming an existing upward grade trend). Applying early gives the best chance.

No matter what, SUMBIT ON THE FIRST DAY. There are graphs that show tha later you wait, the more time it takes to get verified. You can always update you grades. And also your project gpa isn't even that significant of a difference to compensate for a later submission. APPLY EARLY. It'll make your life easier. Also, nice job on the MCAT!!

No matter what, SUMBIT ON THE FIRST DAY. There are graphs that show tha later you wait, the more time it takes to get verified. You can always update you grades. And also your project gpa isn't even that significant of a difference to compensate for a later submission. APPLY EARLY. It'll make your life easier. Also, nice job on the MCAT!!

While I completely agree with what you said, where are these graphs? I have been looking for some actual data on application timing.

How do you already know the grades you will receive for thise summer courses?

Submit early. I wish I had more complete data to work with but I am willing to be Tis worth way more than a small GPA boost you could inform the adcom of later. June 1st.

So I'm assuming all A's. I really screwed up my Junior year, and have gotten straight A's since then.

Thanks Man, the MCAT was a horrible experience I frequented more than once...but it's over!!!!!!

Thanks for your help everyone, I think I'll submit as early as possible and have this GPA boost in case I need to reapply

Is it possible to submit your AMCAS early, and then send the committee letter later? I found out from many upperclassmen that my school submits their committee letters all early August, and don't want to wait that long to submit my app. Can I submit my stuff first and then follow up with the letters later, or will my app only be verified with the letter?

Is it possible to submit your AMCAS early, and then send the committee letter later? I found out from many upperclassmen that my school submits their committee letters all early August, and don't want to wait that long to submit my app. Can I submit my stuff first and then follow up with the letters later, or will my app only be verified with the letter?
Letters are needed for your secondary to be complete. They do not affect when your primary is verified. Submit your primary as early as you can.

Letters are needed for your secondary to be complete. They do not affect when your primary is verified. Submit your primary as early as you can.

Hmm.. if I get my primary verified in mid-June, and get my secondaries sent in with the committee letter in August, won't this violate the "submit within 2 weeks of receiving your secondary" rule?

Hmm.. if I get my primary verified in mid-June, and get my secondaries sent in with the committee letter in August, won't this violate the "submit within 2 weeks of receiving your secondary" rule?
The 2 week thing is definitely not any kind of hard and fast rule. I submitted most of my secondaries at around 2-3 weeks after I received them, and even submitted a couple (Northwestern and Vandy) and month after I received them, and got interviews at both!
Of course, you should submit as early as possible, and that's why I think people say do it within 2 weeks so you have a hard and fast goal instead of an open ended oh I have so much time to do these! If you have everything in by early - mid August and are competitive your cycle will move slower than others' but you will be fine

Reactions: 1 user

That's not a rule at all. I honestly don't think any school cares how long your turnaround time is (unless they explicitly say so like UCSF or wake forest). As long as you don't wait until like late September you're fine.

You've made these threads a few times, and with different stats every time. Each time you get similar advice.

You've made these threads a few times, and with different stats every time. Each time you get similar advice.

Yeah, sorry about that man. I was hoping I'd get a A in Biodiversity but scored an A-. Having had a non-science major, these science classes really displace my science GPA but don't do much harm to my cGPA. That being said, being at a Teacher's College, it's hard to beef up on science classes.

I mean I guess I should consider myself lucky that I've got at least a 3.50 to show for myself at the time of application. In the summer, I'd have to enroll at a different University near my own in order to take these extra science courses, which is a bummer both mentally and financially.

Just trying to carve out the best path for me. I don't want to spend more money if it won't matter to adcoms, but I also want to be the best applicant I can be.