Waiting a year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medname

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

Is anyone out there asking to see if the school will give them a year off after undergrad to do things that they have always wanted to do?? If anyone knows about this, or has done this for this coming year, please let me know. Please tell me how specific your wording was in the letter that you wrote to ask for the year.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I wrote a similar letter last year to take a year off between undergrad and M1. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I wanted the year to travel and get married. However, I also added a period of research at Oxford. The extended honeymoon in Europe was what was most important to me but my school liked the research experience. I simply wrote a letter asking to defer a year. There really wasn't much resistance to it from the school. I cited personal reasons and added ways that I thought the experiences would help my success as a med student. It only took them about two weeks to get back to me. I would recommend consulting your admissions counselor first about who to address the letter to and other particulars.

Casey

Casey-

How did you get a research position at Oxford??