waiting and nervousness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiantGiantsFan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to about 17 schools and got 11 interview invitations. Most of them took place in late December, and I sent comprehensive thank-you notes after the interviews. Since then I haven't sent any additional correspondence.

Now recently I received a waitlist and a rejection, to two schools I feel I should have gotten into (my stats are well above theirs, and I thought my interviews had gone well). Im starting to freak out a bit. Should I have sent more update letters in January? Is it too late now? I thought thank-you notes would be ample, but now I have this paranoia that by not sending update letters earlier, schools perceive that as a lack of interest and will reject me. Am I overreacting or placing too much weight on post-interview correspondence? I mean, for ****'s sake, aren't interview trips and preparation already a ****load on one's plate? They expect us to send 11 update letters as well? Thoughts/advice...

Members don't see this ad.

Schools do not expect update letters. I think you should check to see whether or not the schools you applied to have rolling admissions. If not, they may all be waiting until March to announce decisions.

And just because you didn't get the news that you'd hoped to from those few schools doesn't mean that you will get the same from the rest. I can't understand for the life of me how the heck the adcoms do what they do. For example, I feel that I should have been accepted to every school I applied to. And it didn't happen! I've gotten more rejections at this point than anything. :eek: So hang in there! :D Good news could still be coming!

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not sure if you should be worrying too much, at least at this point, where you still have to hear from 9 other places......but just remember that chances are you arent going to get 9 acceptances...all you need is 1, but im sure you will get more than that...as far as update letters, if you have something significant to tell them since your interview, by all means send them update letters, but I wouldn't worry if you havent sent update letters since your interview in December.....hopefully you'll hear from more schools soon, which will help you decide when to write update letters

I would send an update of your transcript for last semester if you haven't done so. I think that shows some interest. I did to one school I was put on hold post-interview and I eventually got accepted. I'm not sure it helped alot, but it can't hurt.