Waiting and Waiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCOMLover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I've applied for the Navy HPSP scholarship and I'm waiting and waiting. I was told that the board meets about every Wednesday...well about 6 Wednesdays later I'm still waiting. So I was wondering if anyone knew about how long this would take? I'm applying for the 3 year scholarship and school starts Sept 5 and I'm hoping that everything would be finished by then. I know different post on here have shown that it's a "little" slow. But I just wanted to know what type of timeline i would be working with.

Members don't see this ad.

VCOMLover said:
Well I've applied for the Navy HPSP scholarship and I'm waiting and waiting. I was told that the board meets about every Wednesday...well about 6 Wednesdays later I'm still waiting. So I was wondering if anyone knew about how long this would take? I'm applying for the 3 year scholarship and school starts Sept 5 and I'm hoping that everything would be finished by then. I know different post on here have shown that it's a "little" slow. But I just wanted to know what type of timeline i would be working with.

Take your right hand, and reach over to your left wrist, if you have a radial pulse, and your in medical school, then your probably going to get it.

After all, they have about 140 4 year scholarships that they can't even give away, so they are going to need you.

really, good luck.

Of course, you won't realize until after you have been a GMO for a while, that I am wishing you good luck in staying sane not getting the scholarship.

i want out

Hey, he is right...pretty much if you have a GPA above a 3.0 and a decent DAT, you'll get the scholarship. I applied for the Navy HPSP in February and was just recieved board approval two weeks ago, still waiting on signing the contract though. I was told if it had not been approved, the Navy will write a letter to your school letting them know whats up. My recruiter is a little spacey but it all eventually got taken care of. Good luck, just keep bugging your recruiter and don't let them forget you're there and waiting to sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
i want out said:
Take your right hand, and reach over to your left wrist, if you have a radial pulse, and your in medical school, then your probably going to get it.

After all, they have about 140 4 year scholarships that they can't even give away, so they are going to need you.

really, good luck.

Of course, you won't realize until after you have been a GMO for a while, that I am wishing you good luck in staying sane not getting the scholarship.

i want out

How long have you been doing your GMO tour? And do you like it at all?

VCOMLover said:

After you get "approved", expect to wait at least 3 more months before your scroll is signed and you get commissioned. I was "approved" 1st week of April and am still waiting to get commissioned. Good luck and welcome aboard!

P.S. I am a 3 year HPSP too.

Ask about the "field select option". From what I understand, they can accept you on the spot if they really like you.

VCOMLover said:

I am on my second GMO tour, my first was a ship, and my second is shore duty. Todays Navy means Shore duty is fair game to be deployed to the sandbox or pretty much anywhere else they need a body.

I must admit, my first GMO tour was probably atypical in its level of malignancy.

Even considering that, most of the GMO's that I know are just treading water until they drop their letter of resignation.

I am not going to go into detail on this board until after I am a full blown civilian for a while, so don't hold your breath for details.
Cause public venting in the backstabbing and passive aggressive Navy tends to come back and haunt you. And just a few details are all it takes to ID who is venting on a forum like this.

i want out

i want out said:
I am on my second GMO tour, my first was a ship, and my second is shore duty. Todays Navy means Shore duty is fair game to be deployed to the sandbox or pretty much anywhere else they need a body.

I must admit, my first GMO tour was probably atypical in its level of malignancy.

Even considering that, most of the GMO's that I know are just treading water until they drop their letter of resignation.

I am not going to go into detail on this board until after I am a full blown civilian for a while, so don't hold your breath for details.
Cause public venting in the backstabbing and passive aggressive Navy tends to come back and haunt you. And just a few details are all it takes to ID who is venting on a forum like this.

i want out

Why did you decide to do consecutive GMO tours intead of a residency?

IgD said:
Why did you decide to do consecutive GMO tours intead of a residency?

I didn't do a Navy residency, primarily because I want out as quickly as possible, but there are a number of other reasons.

1: in my opinion Navy programs are to inbred to get a truly diverse
education.
2: Navy programs in anesthesia lack the number of difficult cases to truly be
proficient, this proficiency is further degraded by the operational tours
following residency.
3: Navy residency won't train for the non medical aspects of civilian
practice, such as billing, and practicing legaly defensible medicine.
4: My first command was so malignant, that I am absolutely unwilling to sign
on for any additional time in the Navy.

i want out

IgD said:
Ask about the "field select option". From what I understand, they can accept you on the spot if they really like you.

to the contrary IgD. If you are field selected, you are only reserved a spot that no one else can fill. You must still qualify and be professionally recommended (CV, motivation statement, etc).

VCOMLover said:

VCOMLover,

to speed this process up, make sure you KEEP ALL COPIES OF ALL DOCUMENTS YOU SEND TO THE NAVY, so when they lose them, you can send them again without hassle. Also, get your Academic Year Statement signed by the dean of your med school now, so it is not delayed later. Call your recruiter or your processor weekly and be polite, but make sure they are aware that your school begins Sept. 5th-- ask if there's anything else they need you to send. Have kyou gone through MEPS? If not, call your recruiter every day and try to get in ASAP because medical clearance takes forever. Also, be aware that if you filled out your EPSQ more than 3 months before you are finalized, you have to fill it out again--so have all that information handy (prior residences for 10 years, 3 references, employment, basically your life story for 10 years or since you were 16).

These are all things that seriously speed up the process. You will be fine on selection as long as you didn't write your motivation statement in crayon and you don't have asthma.

curlycorday said:
VCOMLover,

to speed this process up, make sure you KEEP ALL COPIES OF ALL DOCUMENTS YOU SEND TO THE NAVY, so when they lose them, you can send them again without hassle. Also, get your Academic Year Statement signed by the dean of your med school now, so it is not delayed later. Call your recruiter or your processor weekly and be polite, but make sure they are aware that your school begins Sept. 5th-- ask if there's anything else they need you to send. Have kyou gone through MEPS? If not, call your recruiter every day and try to get in ASAP because medical clearance takes forever. Also, be aware that if you filled out your EPSQ more than 3 months before you are finalized, you have to fill it out again--so have all that information handy (prior residences for 10 years, 3 references, employment, basically your life story for 10 years or since you were 16).

These are all things that seriously speed up the process. You will be fine on selection as long as you didn't write your motivation statement in crayon and you don't have asthma.

Hmmm but writing it in magic marker is fine right? :eek: But yeah I've done MEPS and all the other molestations of the military. I guess i'm a little rushed because i've done everything and haven't heard anything. I guess i like doing something...and since i'm suppose to be concentrating on finishing up on this last month of first year I have to find something to distract me from studying. :laugh: But I was just hoping that everything would be done and finished by the beginning of August. But i guess I'll get commissioned on graduation day (2009) the way people are talking about the "speedyness" of the military. THanks for all the responses.