Waiting for Columbia, Cornell, and NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdavid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it take these schools longer to give out interviews or are they just rejecting me? I thought i would get an interview (38 MCAT 3.9 GPA ect.), but its been 2 months since all my material has been complete but no response from them? Anyone else have this problem or advice on how to proceed?

Members don't see this ad.

mdavid said:
Does it take these schools longer to give out interviews or are they just rejecting me? I thought i would get an interview (38 MCAT 3.9 GPA ect.), but its been 2 months since all my material has been complete but no response from them? Anyone else have this problem or advice on how to proceed?

I am nowhere near your league but I have been complete at Cornell since 08/11 but I haven't heard anything from them since the "you are complete" e-mail. You have more than a generous chance of interviewing there and if you are really curious or something give them a call. The worst they can do is say no notifications over the phone or something.

Of those three, I only applied to Cornell. I was complete at the end of September and have yet to receive an interview invite. Cornell advises against calling, so I'm not doing anything about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell and Columbia... complete mid August... Got interview for both about a month ago...
Good luck!!!!

I turned down the interviews... I'm already in at 3 other schools :D

By the way... grades and mcat aren't everything... you need to stand out from the rest of the applicants...

mamd2be said:
Cornell and Columbia... complete mid August... Got interview for both about a month ago...
Good luck!!!!

By the way... grades and mcat aren't everything... you need to stand out from the rest of the applicants...

I also have good EC's, but I figured grades and mcat were enough just to get an interview....

i applied to all three...got interviews at columbia and cornell within one month of being complete. been complete at NYU since mid-august! who knows...good luck though! i'm sure you have a good chance :)

mamd2be said:
Good luck!!!!

mamd2be, how do u think your application helped you stand out? curious.

I got an interview from Columbia really early and interwiewed there in September, but no word from Cornell or NYU even though I've been complete since August or September. I called them both last week in fact and they just said I'm still under review.

I've heard that Cornell is one of those schools that really "looks past numbers" (from a couple sources, including an interviewer at another school who'd gone to med school at Cornell with a 20-something MCAT)... for whatever that's worth.

I'm in the same boat as badlydrawnvik. Interviewed at Columbia in Oct., no word from Cornell or NYU, even though I've been complete since Aug./Sept. I'm from NY, too...I know that doesn't make much of a difference for private schools, but I like to think that it does.

Risa said:
I've heard that Cornell is one of those schools that really "looks past numbers" (from a couple sources, including an interviewer at another school who'd gone to med school at Cornell with a 20-something MCAT)... for whatever that's worth.

I second this notion.

Been complete at Cornell since late August, I think. Well-rounded application on my part, but no word from them.

ivy91 said:
I'm in the same boat as badlydrawnvik. Interviewed at Columbia in Oct., no word from Cornell or NYU, even though I've been complete since Aug./Sept. I'm from NY, too...I know that doesn't make much of a difference for private schools, but I like to think that it does.

Your avatar is nausiatingly cute.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to NYU and Cornell back in September, but I haven't heard anyting yet. I do know that Cornell is essentially non-rolling, though some interview decisions have already been made. Last month, when I had an offer to MSSM, I had emailed both asking them for a rushed review, taking into consideration the cost and time of flying from Hawaii to New York. Both politely declined, and said to the effect that they would notify me of any changes to my application status as it becomes available. Great.

Thanks, buddy! If only I could find a picture of a brown paper bag to supplement it for the people who want to vomit after looking at it. Don't worry, I have that reaction too sometimes. ;)

RayhanS1282 said:
Your avatar is nausiatingly cute.

NYU stops interviewing mid-december and all decisions will be mailed out in January. I'm guessing you'll hear from them soon if you will be invited for an interview.

I also applied to Columbia, and my advisor told me that at this particular school, your interview time is in no way an indication on how likely your chances are. They have such a competetive applicant pool that there's no way they can give certain people preference on interviews. Just because you don't have one yet, no reason to worry if you ask me.

bubbleyum said:
mamd2be, how do u think your application helped you stand out? curious.

I'm a nontrad...I've been a science teacher for the past 7 years...
the big difference between other candidates and myself, apart from the age, is that I have shown commitment... I don't just say that I want to work with the underserved, I've done it for the past 7 yrs.
Good luck!

DNAroolez said:
I also applied to Columbia, and my advisor told me that at this particular school, your interview time is in no way an indication on how likely your chances are. They have such a competetive applicant pool that there's no way they can give certain people preference on interviews. Just because you don't have one yet, no reason to worry if you ask me.

yeah i agree, i think columbia gives out interviews as they get applications. also it's non-rolling so don't sweat it too much.

mamd2be said:
the big difference between other candidates and myself, apart from the age, is that I have shown commitment... I don't just say that I want to work with the underserved, I've done it for the past 7 yrs.
Good luck!

Wow. That's awesome. :thumbup:

southpaux said:
I second this notion.

I third the notion - they REALLY look past the numbers (Cornell). Now the question is, do they accept these applicants?

I applied to both Cornell and NYU and never received a "complete" email from either school. Did these schools notify you by email when your applications were complete? If so, I should probably give them a call to make sure they received all my LORs.

Caligirl98 said:
I applied to both Cornell and NYU and never received a "complete" email from either school. Did these schools notify you by email when your applications were complete? If so, I should probably give them a call to make sure they received all my LORs.

Yes, they both send out e-mails notifying you that you are complete and that they will let you know about an interview/rejection ASAP. I received my complete notifications within 2 weeks of submitting my secondary for each school (on-line secondaries). NYU won't discuss your application on the phone. Cornell might. Good luck.

TheMightyAngus said:
NYU stops interviewing mid-december and all decisions will be mailed out in January. I'm guessing you'll hear from them soon if you will be invited for an interview.

Whoa, are you serious??
That's crazy. Tough luck for me then, I guess...

mdavid said:
I also have good EC's, but I figured grades and mcat were enough just to get an interview....

where did you go for undergrad? i'm a first year at columbia, and they do unfortunately seem to seek out those from top name schools.

mamd2be said:
Good luck!

Sounds like you wear this on your sleeve.

ssk123 said:
where did you go for undergrad? i'm a first year at columbia, and they do unfortunately seem to seek out those from top name schools.

Not that I'm the best source of advice, since I was wait-listed (but not accepted) at both NYU and Cornell last year...I was complete at NYU and Cornell in August, and I interviewed NYU in late November, and interviewed at Cornell in late FEB...so you never know how late Cornell will wait....ALSO, Cornell strictly adheres to a policy of not accepting hardly anyone until March...mainly it's just MD/PhD and EDP kids (and kids w/40s) who get in before March, according to last year's data.

Check out last year's Cornell thread if you can find it on here....it'll give you a good idea of the timing, etc....timing which probably hasn't changed since last year.