Waiting for the Second round of acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickMSU

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.4 and AA 18 PAT 16. I am on hold at Marquette currently. I have been interviewed, but still no acceptance letter! How long do we have to wait to hear back for the 2nd round of letters. If we don't get accpeted on the second round should we start to push the panic button? :confused:

Who else is in the same boat i am, and getting worried, or heard other news?

Members don't see this ad.

i hear ya....i know how you feel...i have not received a single acceptance so far. but i'd say stay away from the panic button for now. schools are still interviewing, and more people are going to be accepted in february and march....just hang in there and dont harass the admissions office with phone calls like i did with Penn.

Ya, i am trying to not push the button yet. I hate how so many ppl are here are like i've got 20's on all my DAT sections, and a 3.8 GPA, and are all worried if they are gettin in. I talked to the lady at Pitt, and she told me i am on the bubble at the school, w/ my scores. I just want all this stress to goo away!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similiar situation unfortunately. I applied to 13 schools in late August. I interviewed at one school and still waiting for a acceptance/rejection letter from them. My file remains active at Marquette and I haven't interviewed there yet. I have one other interview in late Feburary. The other ten schools have either rejected me or have not even contacted me. My DAT scores are 19/19/17, which i think is competitive. However, my sci gpa is 2.8, which is impeding me from getting accepted anywhere. Getting closer to pushing that panic button....

I pushed the panic button last month, but for good reason. I ain't goin nowhere for at least a year (was told that I wasn't competitive enough with my 3.25 overall GPA.......turned out that with out my plus marks its a 3.05 :mad: ). I'm back at undergrad this semester taking 16 hours and plan on taking about 12 this summer followed by a brisk 12 hours in the fall.

Huskerslp......what's up! Have you talked to Coleman.....has he said anything encouraging to you? I talked to Coleman and he said that he's got fifteen 4.0 applicants this year :eek: . I asked him if BCMB classes would be my best choice for improvement and he said that he prefers english majors :confused: . I am starting to think that UT is not an option for me anymore, unfortunately. After I talked to him it became obvious that he didn't want me (he was very polite though). I really did have my heart set on that school but I'm not about to give up. I can't compete with those GPA's (probably ever) and I don't like english classes. I'm not going to wait around for my rejection letter from them so I'm pumping up my application already. I wish you the best of luck.

man....people with 21 AA are not gettin in this year!!!! bad sign....what would the comptetition be like next year is anybody's guess....dental schools are becoming like med-schools. it would be very interesting to see the official stats of this year's entering class.

actually guys, the panic button needs to be put away for now. i'm in the same boat - interviewed with 4 schools, but heard back from none. but a dentist where i work was informed he was accepted to nova on a thursday and school started for him the next monday so he dropped everything and headed down to florida. my brother in law is another example - he'd been accepted to Pitt, but was hoping for San Antonio. finally late in the summer, he and my sister had loaded up the car to drive cross-country to check out housing in PN and on their way out they checked the mail and had an acceptance letter from San Antonio.
i feel your panic and pain, my bruthas, but there is still hope.

Far Cry said:
actually guys, the panic button needs to be put away for now. i'm in the same boat - interviewed with 4 schools, but heard back from none. but a dentist where i work was informed he was accepted to nova on a thursday and school started for him the next monday so he dropped everything and headed down to florida. my brother in law is another example - he'd been accepted to Pitt, but was hoping for San Antonio. finally late in the summer, he and my sister had loaded up the car to drive cross-country to check out housing in PN and on their way out they checked the mail and had an acceptance letter from San Antonio.
i feel your panic and pain, my bruthas, but there is still hope.
I agree. While I would be inclined to freak out, There are still many more people that need to be interviewed. It is good thing that the schools are taking their time to evaluate all the applications they recieve (mine was not submitted as early as it could have been :( --my own damn fault). I've only interviewed at one school so far...it is one of my top choices, so the suspense is killing me.I'm going to try to postpone freaking out (and making alternate life plans) until April. yeah right!!

At this point in the game it seems that a majority of the positions have been taken and not much is left. I interviewed at 4 schools (3 pre-dec 1st and 1 post) and it's not lookin good at this point I think. High alt at nova and that's the best I got. With so many applicants I think the spots that have been offered will most likely be taken. Me personally I am so sick of the politics involved in the acceptance process, especially at Az. PM if u want details because what's goin on is pretty crappy. It happens at every school but it sucks when you know the internal workings so well at Az.

don't lose your mind. my theory through this whole process is.....the people who are getting 5-10 interviews and subsequently 5-10 acceptances on/around dec 1st CAN ONLY GO TO ONE SCHOOL! if you are getting an interview that's a good sign (sort of) so go in and kick some ass. yes spots are taken, and at some schools they might be fairly full, but people juggle around up until the week before they start class. keep your head up!

geckel said:
I pushed the panic button last month, but for good reason. I ain't goin nowhere for at least a year (was told that I wasn't competitive enough with my 3.25 overall GPA.......turned out that with out my plus marks its a 3.05 :mad: ). I'm back at undergrad this semester taking 16 hours and plan on taking about 12 this summer followed by a brisk 12 hours in the fall.

Huskerslp......what's up! Have you talked to Coleman.....has he said anything encouraging to you? I talked to Coleman and he said that he's got fifteen 4.0 applicants this year :eek: . I asked him if BCMB classes would be my best choice for improvement and he said that he prefers english majors :confused: . I am starting to think that UT is not an option for me anymore, unfortunately. After I talked to him it became obvious that he didn't want me (he was very polite though). I really did have my heart set on that school but I'm not about to give up. I can't compete with those GPA's (probably ever) and I don't like english classes. I'm not going to wait around for my rejection letter from them so I'm pumping up my application already. I wish you the best of luck.

woah, 3.25 isn't good enough even with your DAT scores? so are you applying for 2007 cycle? i feel like i've read people posting acceptances with GPAs lower than yours... what is up?

jillmatic said:
woah, 3.25 isn't good enough even with your DAT scores? so are you applying for 2007 cycle? i feel like i've read people posting acceptances with GPAs lower than yours... what is up?

Well, to tell you the truth I only applied to that one school. This is how stupid I am......I applied only to my state school last year and didn't get in. I spoke with the dean of addmissions and he said that all I needed to do was bring up my DAT score(last year was a 17/16/17). I retook it and got the scores in my signature(21/21/23) and felt that I was a shoe in b/c I did what he told me to do. Unfortunately this school is averaging GPA's at a 3.6 now which my DAT can't make up for. I was planning to apply to more schools this year but I didn't know how important early applying is(learned about it when I found this website in November). Long story short........I have been way uninformed and I also am an idiot.

So here I am, taking my hardest semester yet in preparation for 2007. I will get my GPA's up an overall of a 3.15 and a science of 3.3. So far I'm planning on NYU, BU, IU, UoP(just for fun b/c you never know), and my state school(also just for fun.....besides, I already interviewed so I just need to forward my transcripts and a fee to play the lotto). Anybody got any suggestions for schools to add to my list or maybe share an encouraging story of acceptance based on stats. I am scared as hell of having to do a masters so I'm trying my hardest right now.

Geckel: Hopefully this is encouraging..
My undergrad GPA was 2.96 when I graduated in 97. I've taken all of the prereq's over the last year and a half and have raised my overall and science GPA to around a 3.2. I'm not exactly sure of what it will be after my academic update but you get the idea. My DAT score is 22/22/22 and I just got accepted to Maryland last week. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools but your stats are very similar and I bet you'll get in some where. Also my application didn't get mailed out by AADSAS until Nov 3 so I probably would have had more success had I gotten all my info in earlier. If you can show a trend of your grades going from average to excellent then maybe you can overshadow the lower GPA in your interview. I tried to stress that once I made my decision on what I wanted to do, I did much better. Good Luck!

jmac44 said:
Geckel: Hopefully this is encouraging..
My undergrad GPA was 2.96 when I graduated in 97. I've taken all of the prereq's over the last year and a half and have raised my overall and science GPA to around a 3.2. I'm not exactly sure of what it will be after my academic update but you get the idea. My DAT score is 22/22/22 and I just got accepted to Maryland last week. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools but your stats are very similar and I bet you'll get in some where. Also my application didn't get mailed out by AADSAS until Nov 3 so I probably would have had more success had I gotten all my info in earlier. If you can show a trend of your grades going from average to excellent then maybe you can overshadow the lower GPA in your interview. I tried to stress that once I made my decision on what I wanted to do, I did much better. Good Luck!
That was encouraging. What other schools did you apply to? Where else have you interviewed? I'd love to know about your success with any private schools also. Oh....and congrats :thumbup: on Maryland.

Does anybody else have encouragement or advice?

NickMSU said:
I have a 3.4 and AA 18 PAT 16. I am on hold at Marquette currently. I have been interviewed, but still no acceptance letter! How long do we have to wait to hear back for the 2nd round of letters. If we don't get accpeted on the second round should we start to push the panic button? :confused:

Who else is in the same boat i am, and getting worried, or heard other news?
Hey man, it looks like you and I have a lot in common. I interviewed at Marquette in November and I've got about the same credentials. They notified me that I missed the first group of accepted students, but my application is still alive and well. So, I don't know if they've given you the same babble, but it can be a little comforting for a short time.

geckel said:
That was encouraging. What other schools did you apply to? Where else have you interviewed? I'd love to know about your success with any private schools also. Oh....and congrats :thumbup: on Maryland.

I applied to Maryland, Florida, Nova, Pitt, Penn, Temple, Ohio State, and Harvard. I interviewed at Florida (1/6) and Maryland (12/14). I still have interviews at Nova and Pitt coming up but I'm withdrawling from the Pitt interview. I'm still under review at Harvard, Penn, and Temple. I was rejected from Ohio State in mid december. I really liked both Maryland and Florida for much different reasons. Now I'm loking forward to seeing Nova.

drent001 said:
Hey man, it looks like you and I have a lot in common. I interviewed at Marquette in November and I've got about the same credentials. They notified me that I missed the first group of accepted students, but my application is still alive and well. So, I don't know if they've given you the same babble, but it can be a little comforting for a short time.

Ya it is sort of comforting to know my application is well. When are we supposed to hear from them? I tried calling there today, but could not get through to anyone.....

geckel said:

I'll call Dr. Coleman the 2nd wk of February. I want to see if I get accepted in the second round. He told me the same thing he told you concerning gpa and dat scores. I talked to him in the summer and he said even though I had a low sci gpa(2.8), I still have a chance of getting accepted if I improve my DAT scores. I did improve from a 17/17/13(49%) to a 19/19/17(82%). I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except you have better gpa and dat scores than me. Unfortunately, this is my last semester in college, so I won't be able to improve my gpa any further. Hopefully, Dr. Coleman will select both of us...Good luck!

huskerslp said:
I'll call Dr. Coleman the 2nd wk of February. I want to see if I get accepted in the second round. He told me the same thing he told you concerning gpa and dat scores. I talked to him in the summer and he said even though I had a low sci gpa(2.8), I still have a chance of getting accepted if I improve my DAT scores. I did improve from a 17/17/13(49%) to a 19/19/17(82%). I'm pretty much in the same boat as you except you have better gpa and dat scores than me. Unfortunately, this is my last semester in college, so I won't be able to improve my gpa any further. Hopefully, Dr. Coleman will select both of us...Good luck!
Best of luck to you! I sincerely hope that we get in this year.