Waiting on a second MCAT score, but is my first score good enough to submit my verified primary now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoaneTiger1953

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked through the posts and it seems I'm in a slightly different boat than others. I took my first MCAT back in 2013 and received a 28. I'm currently waiting on my second MCAT score, which will be released in a week. My application is already verified and I've only submitted to a single school so far. The 28 score seems to be good enough to get me through the screening at some schools. Plus I have a really high GPA. Will it hurt my application if I submit while still waiting for that second MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same exact situation, except I took my MCAT last summer and I submitted my primary this year on the first day. I have two II so far with my new score being released in 6 days. Submit your application ASAP.

Depends where you apply..some schools may see your 28 and send you an II...others may not like it enough..and wait on the new score..aka..just go ahead and apply. If they theyre fine with the 28..you're ahead of the curve in terms of IIs..if they don't...they'll wait on your new score and go from there. Though..there is SOME risk..if the newer score is lower than your 28...applying this cycle may come back to haunt you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was only going to apply to schools that have no screening for secondaries. Or if they do, they're screening for the bare minimum, so a MCAT of above a 25 seems to be the standard.

Start with the following:

Quinnipiac

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

EVMS

Rosy Franklin

MCW

Creighton

NYMC

VCU

Rush

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Your state school(s).

Any DO school.

Yeah I would wait, 28 is below the average admitted score of 32

From 2012-2014, applicants with a cGPA between 3.8 and 4.0 (and it better be here if you're calling it "really high") and a MCAT between 27-29 had a 61% chance of acceptance to at least one MD school. The Neuroticism Gods of SDN may whisper to you that all of the accepted people had 29s and the 28s were condemned to the Island of Misfit Pre-Meds, but I doubt it.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe send apps to the lower GPA schools (like the ones Goro said) and then if you turn out to get a great score on the retake submit some more apps. The big time sink is the primary verification, after that is done its easy to add more. May as well get the wheels turning at places that won't totally scoff at a 28 (and with a great GPA like yours, they do exist). If any of those schools throw you on the back burner, they will be just as privy to your new score as anyone else.