Waiting on letter of rec to apply in August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is august too late to consider applying?

• Yes, your stats aren't good enough

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No, take a chance and apply

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

LKG0601

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as the info of the professor that's writing the letter is included on your aadsas application, you can submit it before the letter gets uploaded. I know that there are some changes being made to the aadsas portal that will be implemented for this upcoming cycle so be sure to check that what I mentioned above would still be possible for you to do.

Reactions: 1 users
The sooner you can get your transcripts confirmed, the better...which is why it's encouraged to submit the app as soon as you can. I believe that the batch system is weekly or biweekly so you would probably be included among the population that submits apps at that point. In turn, you'd probably receive notification from admissions that your application is missing certain requirements (i.e. The one rec letter). Someone else could probably confirm or correct anything I've said about this but that's my best guesstimate of how that situation would proceed

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. I submitted my application mid July with DAT scores and transcript but my committee letter wasn't submitted until the end of August. Schools will email you saying your application isn't complete. They can still review everything else on the application but typically won't send you an interview invite until they have the LORs as well.

did you receive interview invites shortly after your committee letter was submitted? Or is there also expected to be a lag in the time it takes to process those letters etc? My issue with this is that it seems weird that they'd consider even reviewing my app until after August if my letter/letters aren't in in, so regardless, my application would be viewed in one of the later batches. Sorry if it seems i just keep asking the same question over and over lol, I'm just trying to make a decision as to whether its worth waiting on the letter or not :/
What I was told is that committees will start reviewing your app if DAT scores are in and GPA is verified. However, they don't invite you until the app is complete. I did receive interview invites a couple weeks after the committee letter was submitted. Some invites I received months later. I guess it depends on the school. Bottom line is just to get everything in ASAP.

Hi guys! So I'm a 2016 grad who planned to complete a post-bac after graduating. My sGPA is about a 3.1-3.2 and overall GPA is about a 3.3-3.4 (if we round, lol). I was waitlisted to a program, not accepted, so I took the DAT (first time) and started searching for jobs. Since I knew my grades weren't great I was hoping to get a LOR from a professor by taking classes at a UC while working since I got few A's in my science classes as an undergrad. I was looking at taking classes in April, but the issue here is that they end June 24th. If I were to apply this cycle, I'd obviously want to give that professor enough time to write the letter and probably wouldn't end up applying until August or having all of my things finalized until then.

Overall as an applicant, I got good DAT scores ( AA: 23, TS: 23, PAT: 22, nothing below a 22 in any section), some shadowing, leadership positions, a research internship, and tons of clinical research experience. Since I'm missing that other science LOR, I could only realistically apply to schools like UCLA/UCSF that only require 1 science LOR. But obviously with my stats it's not realistic to apply to just those two, or to apply to just two schools in one cycle. (I'm instate though, so that might give me a better shot??) Any advice? would august be too late to apply? Would it look bad to have my last LOR coming in that late? Should I just wait another year? any help would be great!!

It depends on your financial situation. If you have the money, then I still suggest applying to schools because it wouldn't hurt you if you did. If you don't then you might want to consider holding off until the next cycle.

Regardless, based on your science GPA and DAT scores, I suggest applying broadly (apply to a lot of private schools like tufts, nyu, temple, touro, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
My whole issue with applying to most private schools is that a majority of them require a second science LOR, which is why I was considering waiting until august. I'm very willing to put down the money for applications to schools I'm eligible to apply to (those that require only 1 LOR), and to do so in June. Do you think I'd have a shot if I applied the first week of june to the schools that only require 1 LOR?

Can you tell me what schools accept 1 science LOR?

Can you tell me what schools accept 1 science LOR?

I've started compiling a list and so far I have: UCLA, UCSF, Loma Linda, Midwestern in arizona, Ohio state, midwestern university in illinois. I believe Tufts states they only require "2 professors" so i might be able to do one science and one psychology professor to fulfill their requirement. Also I'm a CA resident, i'm not sure how much that would impact my chances though...

I've started compiling a list and so far I have: UCLA, UCSF, Loma Linda, Midwestern in arizona, Ohio state, midwestern university in illinois. I believe Tufts states they only require "2 professors" so i might be able to do one science and one psychology professor to fulfill their requirement. Also I'm a CA resident, i'm not sure how much that would impact my chances though...

UCLA -- your stats are too low
UCSF -- your stats are low, but not too much of a stretch so apply here
Loma linda -- apply here
midwestern -- apply here
ohio state -- dont apply here, your out of state, stats too low
tufts -- apply here

cool, thanks! People all over sdn talk about how "high DAT can make up for low GPA", my highest scores were a 24 in bio and ochem.. would that not give me a chance at places like osu that have a 3.5 average even if i apply early? Or is it more because they're not OOS friendly?

its definitely more of the second. more competitive to get into state schools OOS.

first part more in reference toward your instate school (unless your ucla whos avgs are 3.7 and 22 on dat) and private schools.

one big factor imo is where you went to undergrad. if you are coming from a top undergrad with that gpa, admissions will view it differently than if you are not

its definitely more of the second. more competitive to get into state schools OOS.

first part more in reference toward your instate school (unless your ucla whos avgs are 3.7 and 22 on dat) and private schools.

one big factor imo is where you went to undergrad. if you are coming from a top undergrad with that gpa, admissions will view it differently than if you are not

Last edited: