Waiting...rather impatiently

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brian20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys and Girls,

Have any of you guys sent in a great number of your secondaries and heard absolutely nothing? I have approximately 8 outstanding applications. I have heard nothing in months. I interviewed at NYMC and heard nothing.

Let me forward a theory...any one is welcome to add theirs.

I think they take applicants that are competitive but not the best, and hold the applications. My theory is that people in my position will get flooded with interview offers or rejections in the late winter or early spring.

Anyone going to Upstate (Syracuse)??

later

"Notice, I no longer say "libarry or tomarry."

Homer Jay Simpson
-post crayoneotomy

Members don't see this ad.

I think they take applicants that are competitive but not the best, and hold the applications. My theory is that people in my position will get flooded with interview offers or rejections in the late winter or early spring.
••

Why would you think that?

I'd have to agree. I applied to 10 schools, interviewed at 2, and the rest I'm just sitting and biting my nails to get a word..any word! I know my apps are complete with the rest, but still. I'd like to know something.

I also think that early spring I'll have like 4 interview at once! But hopefully, I'll know from one of those two schools before that so I can save on airfare expenses.

Joe

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be in SUNY Upstate tomorrow.

I don't know what to think. I have yet another empty mailbox today. Seven secondaries filled out, excellent GPA, and competitive MCAT scores. In fact,one admissions advisor at a medical school told me that I would be competitive. Yet, not a word from any of these schools! I have heard that a lot of people with good stats are in the same boat. I know that this is an odd year, but it certainly is about to drive me crazy! Maybe there will be some bigtime movement on the part of the admissions committees by Christmas!

Thank God!!

I thought I was the only one. Well my pre-health committe screwed up and my letters werent sent till nov 19th. But I have 13 applications completed, and I havent heard nothing. I'm so scared I'm not going to get in!!! my stats arent that great 26 MCAT, 3.45 gpa, but I have so much clinicals, EC and leadership experience. And I know my letters are good cuz the professors I asked I know very well! they do look at the whole picture right? So where are my interviews. IM goung nuts here, checking my email and calling home constantly!! what should I do??? If there is anything that I can do.

Originally posted by Brian20:
•Have any of you guys sent in a great number of your secondaries and heard absolutely nothing? I have approximately 8 outstanding applications. •••

Forgive me for saying so, but 8 is not a great number of secondaries. Because the medschool application process is such a crapshoot, most people apply to more schools than that. I applied to 23 and have 1 rejection and 7 interviews (1 phone) thus far, leaving 15 schools where my application is complete that I've heard nothing from. What if I'd only applied to those 15 schools? I guess I'd be waiting rather impatiently too.

There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the process. My first 2 interviews were at one of my highest ranked schools and one of the lowest. I think you're right that the fact that you don't yet have interviews is not indicative of much of anything, but I can't understand why you didn't maximize your odds by applying to more schools. :confused:

Anyway, welcome to SDN, and I wish you the best of luck. :)

I'm in this club too. Ten secondaries completed and not peep from anyone...Lets be thankful that we haven't got a slew of rejections and hopeful that the interviews/acceptances are coming. Cheers.

Just checked my mail - got an app complete from Tufts - "your file is being forwarded to the adcoms"...how sweet of them - especially considering I should have been complete there for about a month! :(

I almost forgot, the point of my rant (above) was simply to point out that lots of schools are behind this year...I have several interviews but have not heard from about 18 schools where I should be complete. It sucks waiting and it's damn near impossible to keep from worrying, but we have to remember that this is gonna be a really strange admissions year and hope for the best...good luck all.

I only applied to 7 MD schools because I could not afford to apply to more and did not qualify for an AMCAS fee waiver. I got secondaries for all 7. One interview, one rejection, and five applications complete and being reviewed. So sometimes there are legitimate reasons for not applying to 20+ schools.

I have a twist on the app-complete-for-months-yet-hearing-nothing connundrum: So far, the only schools I've heard anything from are the schools I considered "reaches." (Interviews at Yale, Columbia, UCSF.) Dead silence from the places I thought I would be competetive. (Still good schools, like Tufts, Loma Linda, and Northwestern, but less prestigious than the interviews I've gotten.) I'm not complaining, but wondering if anyone else was in the same situation. It's just a little strange.
Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Kadyra:
•I only applied to 7 MD schools because I could not afford to apply to more and did not qualify for an AMCAS fee waiver. I got secondaries for all 7. One interview, one rejection, and five applications complete and being reviewed. So sometimes there are legitimate reasons for not applying to 20+ schools.•••

You got me there! :oops: Still, I think it would have been worthwhile to try to come up with the money somehow. Seven or eight schools doesn't give you very good odds, unless you have super stats, or are pretty sure of acceptance to your state school. And if you don't get in this year, you'll have to spend the same amount of money, and probably more since you'll want to increase your odds, next time around. Getting secondaries from all of your schools isn't indicative of your chances of admission or even getting interviews, as hardly any schools screened this year.

SMW

i didnt apply to many schools because i applied the previous year and came one person from getting in...literally.

so i figured that school was likely to take me this year...that is why so few schools. also, i think you will find that new york residents apply to fewer schools than west coasters. at least that was how it was at my undergrad.

i did get in at that one school, so i guess i saved some money.

Qwert

how did suny go???

im going there and just wanting to know who i will be spending the next 4 years with.

take care

brian