waiting six weeks blows.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just took step one today, the lady up here told me that i could not use my own ear plugs and i was about to cry, when she found a pair that i could use . . . she said that i was lucky . . . what a crock.

anyhow, pretty hard test, there was a lot more detail on congenital anomolies and just detail in general than i thought there would be, i think that i did fine though.

does it really take six weeks to get your score? would i possible get my scores faster because a whole lot of people probably are not taking their boards right now? not really important stuff, but as you can imagine, i want to know how i did . . .

gee, what to do with myself, i don't start rotations until the end of may. if there was only more snow up here . . .

Members don't see this ad.

jdub said:
i just took step one today, the lady up here told me that i could not use my own ear plugs and i was about to cry, when she found a pair that i could use . . . she said that i was lucky . . . what a crock.

anyhow, pretty hard test, there was a lot more detail on congenital anomolies and just detail in general than i thought there would be, i think that i did fine though.

does it really take six weeks to get your score? would i possible get my scores faster because a whole lot of people probably are not taking their boards right now? not really important stuff, but as you can imagine, i want to know how i did . . .

gee, what to do with myself, i don't start rotations until the end of may. if there was only more snow up here . . .

Darn, I was expecting you to give us a test experience with breakdown. I've been spoiled by the great posts from last year! :thumbup:

Tedebear said:
Darn, I was expecting you to give us a test experience with breakdown. I've been spoiled by the great posts from last year! :thumbup:

Yeah I thought he was gonna brake it down to the very last compound too.
So why don't you give us some details jdub?

it is a PAINFUL 4-6 weeks of waiting...if you cann't take it anymore, you can check the nbme website and look for the score released date (about four weeks after your test date)....once released, you can get your score from the dean's office at your school (i did this, they got it about three days before i got my report in the mail). Trust me, it only gets WORSE---wait 'til the match.....waiting four weeks to see where you'll spend the next 3-7 years...anyway, i'm sure you did great and good luck in 3rd year!...enjoy the free time.

hey,

there was a lot more detailed questions than i though there would be. kaplan's qbank had harder questions, but they were not much harder than the real thing. the format of qbank was the exact same as the usmle, which kind of suprised me, but it was nice to be familiar with it.

i was suprised by the amount of biostats and epidemiology questions. the day before the exam i went through a high yeild biostats book and it was well worth it. there where also 4 or 5 questions with michealis-menton and lineweaver-burke graphs, so make sure you take a moment to review those.

there where a lot of questions on genetic disorders. it is well worth it to know first aid material and know what for example that fragile x syndrome is associated not only with mental ******ation but also large testicles . . . i guessed on that one and got it right, felt kind of lucky . . . anyhow, know all the main AD, AR and x-linked genetic disorders as well as you can.

time was a real issue. the only other test that i had some time issues on was the mcat, they give you 60 minutes for 50 questions and i always ended up finishing with only 2 or 3 minutes left, so make sure that you take long enough breaks in between sections to be as focused as possible.

the clinical vignette format allows for some fudging on specific information if you have a good base in most subjects, but there where still plenty of questions that only pertained to one disease or subject.

i studyed using qbank, brs anatomy, physio, micro/immuno and path, high yield biostats (by anthony glasser) and first aid. i also supplemented a bit with netter's, basic histology, robbins and persaud's embryo book. i felt about as prepared as i could have been, which might not be saying much, check me back in six weeks. if you have any other questions let me know.