Waiting to hear: VA staff psychology jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope4Grad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would start this thread and see if it gets any traction....I interviewed for two VA jobs (one on 5/13 the other on 6/3). Waiting anxiously to hear back about either. Anyone else in this position or ever been in this situation? Thought we could support each other during the waiting game...

Members don't see this ad.

You should expect 1 month-6 months for an answer. This is the "Gob-er-mint." It's not the real world.

You should contact the section service chief in the interim for an update.

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies, it took months for some people to get back to me, one position was taken off the the table with no hire, and I was offered my current job less than 24 hrs after the interview and they needed answer in less than a week. It really depends where the bottleneck is in the government system.

ClinicalABA, it'll be any day now. The next question is will the onboarding take equally long...you can start by the time you are ready to retire.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Just closing the loop...I started my VA job the first week of Sept. This is the one I interviewed for in June. So for me, it was 3 months from interview to start date!

Reactions: 9 users
Just closing the loop...I started my VA job the first week of Sept. This is the one I interviewed for in June. So for me, it was 3 months from interview to start date!

As a VA lifer (internship to staff psychologist), congrats! Feel free to vent about policies that place politics over good clinical care and C&P whenever you need to ;)

Reactions: 3 users
As a VA lifer (internship to staff psychologist), congrats! Feel free to vent about policies that place politics over good clinical care and C&P whenever you need to ;)

Isn't that all the policies? Sorry, we are in JCAHO prep mode here and I have had it.

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't that all the policies? Sorry, we are in JCAHO prep mode here and I have had it.

The "no lotion" thing kills me. At least we recently got permission to have water bottles as long as they're capped.

Reactions: 1 user
The "no lotion" thing kills me. At least we recently got permission to have water bottles as long as they're capped.

You’re gonna have to explain this one?

You’re gonna have to explain this one?

JCAHO considers it a violation if there's lotion (or chap stick) in a "patient care" area. Which includes therapy offices. Before the recent clarification we also were not supposed to have any beverages, even bottled water, in patient care areas.

JCAHO considers it a violation if there's lotion (or chap stick) in a "patient care" area. Which includes therapy offices. Before the recent clarification we also were not supposed to have any beverages, even bottled water, in patient care areas.

never heard anything of the sort when i was there. Id imagine that is selectivity enforced?

never heard anything of the sort when i was there. Id imagine that is selectivity enforced?

Only when JCAHO time is coming. You can also only use Purel branded hand sanitizer with no other moisturizing components added. We also had a fun issue with then requiring a no smoking sign in a patient's home who had oxygen present and the patient refusing to put the sign up. Talk about pointless negotiating.

Last edited:
Good luck to you working as a VA psychologist. There are some really cool things about it (the ability to actually leverage behavioral science to help veterans) and some not-so-cool things about it (the overwhelming bureaucracy and disempowerment of clinicians). On balance, you can do a lot of good and you can sleep at night. The most challenging thing I've had to contend with is the persistent implicit pressure (from the system, some veterans, some families, and even administrative/clinical 'higher ups' at the facility) to misrepresent things or to give an 'opinion' on a clinical issue that wasn't actually the opinion that I have (or that the literature supports). For example, topics such as supposed postconcussive syndrome (persisting for years), 'total and permanent unemployability' for mental health issues, the need for 'caregivers' for mental health issues, service dog prescriptions, the incessant 'I need you to write a letter stating that it's professional opinion is X and send it to Y,' are constant challenges to navigate as you strain to maintain the therapeutic alliance while simultaneously not lying. That's my line in the sand, simply 'not lying' as a professional. I don't lie to or for my clients (even if they want me to). You'd be amazed how challenging that can be in the VA system. However, I have to say that, so far (knock on wood), I've been able to hold my ground and not be fired or unduly punished for doing so. If you know (or learn) the relevant literature and are able to quote it verbatim then, most of the time, people will eventually cease imploring you to lie to them. And, if people push too hard, I just come right out and address the issue bluntly, to the effect of 'I assure you that if/when I form a particular clinical or professional opinion about X, I'll be the first to know and I'll inform YOU of what my opinion is, and not the other way around.'

Another thing you'll notice is that the VA system has an infuriating tendency to OVERCOMPLICATE the truly simple (e.g., rescheduling a routine appointment) while simultaneously OVERSIMPLIFYING the truly complex (e.g., suicide prevention).

If you can find a clinical position that allows for a bit of autonomy in your clinical work you may find it overall to be a good professional experience. I'm sure every VA is different.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I knew about the lotion thing, but it does seem to be selectively enforced. At our site, they're really big sticklers about cardboard boxes in patient care areas. And pretty much anything hanging on your wall that isn't bolted in place.

I had coffee maker in my office and an ever present bowl of M&Ms on my desk for myself and patients. No one ever said a thing about it even during the JCHOA time