Waiting until the fall to take a pre-req OK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted244469

So I love my current professor for Orgo at CC (Princeton PhD) and would like to take him again. The problem is that he doesn't teach again until the fall. I wanted to apply this cycle and take the MCAT in August/September. So I'm in a bit of a snag. I WAS planning to take Organic 2 at university over the summer, but it is VERY expensive. The difference in price between the CC and the Uni class is ~$800. Not to mention the pace of the class will be insane.

So I guess my questions are these: (1)Could I take the MCAT without Orgo 2 under my belt and use the review books to learn the necessary Organic 2 material? and (2) Is it completely idiotic to wait until fall to take Organic 2? I would save $800 and the pace of the class would probably be better.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) It just sort of depends on how comfortable you are with the material of Orgo 1 - Orgo 2 is built from the foundations learned in Orgo 1 and is mostly a compilation of several various types of reactions. If you're comfortable with the material, then you may be able to learn what you need from the review books.

2) I wouldn't consider it "completely idiotic" but if you're worried about the subject/being prepared for the MCAT, it might be more beneficial to take it over summer. HOWEVER. If taking the class over summer is going to impede on your studying for the MCAT, then I would hold it off. It looks better to have a higher MCAT score and good grade taken later than a lower MCAT and worse grade in the summer.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user