1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Waitlist and didn't get in...now what?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Bucks783, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Bucks783

Pre-Dental
    So now that the waitlists have been closed. For those of us who did not get in to a school we wanted/could afford...what should we do next? I applied late last year so I am not surprised. I am sure it is too late to get into Master's programs and we have completed all of the pre-reqs (and likely have done extra courses as well)

Seeking advice for what I and others in this situation should do!

I have completed my 2016 app and I am still unsure whether or not to take more classes (financial aid has been used up) and am trying desperately to find research opportunities. I have done some volunteer work over the summer but now I would like to do something to take up more of my time. Moving is not an issue, but I want advice for reapplicants that may have been in a similar situation/ can provide advice.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kayden28

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm not a re-applicant but from what others in similar situations in the past have done is get jobs in dental tech positions. If you can find an opportunity like this, you could get paid and trained at the same time while gaining greater exposure to the field and having something to talk about for future applications. You could also continue shadowing and if you could find a research opportunity that would be sweet too.

4. RuffDay

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    How late did you apply and what were your stats?

5. Bucks783

Pre-Dental
    All my stuff got in middle-end of October

AA 20 / TS 18 / PAT 18 I know they arent the best scores but I feel decent enough to go interviews (none below 17)
    non-trad 5 years full time work (10,000 hours)
    175+ shadowing hours (goes up each week)
    will be at 100 volunteer hours
    4 LORs - chem prof, biochem prof, dentist, former manager from work
    PS is really good, had a good friend on the Columbia Med School Admissions committee evaluate and fix
    not seeking pity, but faced two major life events while in classes these last two years so I am kinda proud of how I stuck it out
    original GPA from undergrad ~ 3.0
    after recent years of pre-reqs
    oGPA - 3.3
    sGPA - 3.6

6. jsptr986

2+ Year Member

have you submitted an app for this year?

7. Bucks783

Pre-Dental
    Yes 7/15

8. jsptr986

2+ Year Member

oh sorry, i missed it in your original post. i feel like timing was the biggest thing holding you back. oct is way too late. I'm a reapplicant but applied in 2008 and did not get any interviews. based on what I've seen on here you're app will take about a month to process and mail out. about a month from then interview invites begin if schools are interested.good luck this time around!

9. RuffDay

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Probably a week if the school is interested. You can hear back from schools probably around end of August.

10. darknightzzz

darknightzzz Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Dental
    lol hopefully they get this fast as they dont get piled up with applications from people that submitted first batch and everything.

11. zenrookie

2+ Year Member

If you dont get in off a waitlist, will the school typically still send you a letter or email or something?

I held out on re-applying, kinda stupid i guess. I was hoping I'd get picked up from the WL.
    My application is still being processed with AADSAS, I didn't submit until aug 2.

sigh

12. Bucks783

Pre-Dental
    You should get an email