Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcg16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point should you give up on getting in off of a waitlist? I'm on three waitlists - two "high priority" - and honestly thought that meant my odds of getting in off one of them was pretty good. As the weeks go by though, it seems less and less hopeful. Meanwhile I got into a DO school and have been putting off committing to housing, buying books, etc. because of my waitlist status. Its almost July - is it time to give up and move on?

Members don't see this ad.

The question is when you are ready to say no if something comes up literally at the last minute; which is possible but unlikely? I have WL holders get called thru July and even up to just the weekend before orientation starts . So when are you ready to commit to DO?
I concur with my learned colleague. OP, you need to draw a red box on the calendar, and at that point forward , go DO and don't look back. Either that, or figure out how much disruption in your life you can handle if, say, you sign a lease and two days later the MD schools calls with the accept. How fast can you pivot, in terms of logistics in your moving?

That answer would possibly be never...it would be awful to get pulled off the waitlist and have to turn it down. But realistically, that's not a feasible option. I'm just really confused what happened...I had a 4.0 science GPA, solid MCAT (a little unbalanced but still decent), a freakin' graduate degree, an essay that my undergrad committee loved, and I've been in contact with my top choice school (where I am waitlisted) at least once a month since January (and they like updates) :(

Members don't see this ad :)
unfortunately, this is one of the reasons I generally advise not to apply to both MD and DO in the first cycle when you are a solid to great candidate.
Isn't it better than not having any acceptances though?I'd rather be in OP's position than just waitlists...

If I signed a lease then got called up I would let myself be sued. Unfortunately you may have gotten unlucky. with 53042 applicants there will be a thousand mistakes in both directions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm on three waitlists - two "high priority" -

Have these schools had much or any movement? Did these schools overaccept last year and that's created a greater problem for those on the WL? (I think BU overaccepted last year and some of last year's acceptees will be matriculating this year, which meant fewer spots for this year's applicants.)

I would probably wait, but have my "ducks in a row" either way. Find a couple of places to possibly live near the DO school. Find apt complexes that have multiple vacancies so that you're more likely to still have a place to go if the DO school remains your only option. If possible, find places that don't demand a 12 month lease.

Also be looking online for some apt complexes in either of the MD cities. Again, looking at complexes that have multiple vacancies.

I live near a college town and, at least here, the nice, altho older complexes tend to have multiple vacancies, but the newer fancier places tend to be in high demand.

A lease is written on paper, and upheld by a person. Maybe you could try explaining your situation and pull on the landlord's heart strings. If they understand your position up front, maybe they'll be willing to look the other way and tear the lease up as if it never existed, should you get pulled off the waitlist.

Is it possible that someone wrote a suboptimal Lor? Is it possible that the interview was an issue? I only ask because I've seen others ask this question on sdn in similar situations. Is

I think you could do better than just a DO. I also think @J Senpai might have an interesting viewpoint on this discussion, since he's a DO.

A lease is written on paper, and upheld by a person. Maybe you could try explaining your situation and pull on the landlord's heart strings. If they understand your position up front, maybe they'll be willing to look the other way and tear the lease up as if it never existed, should you get pulled off the waitlist.

Good point. You could write in a condition to the lease. Maybe agree to surrender a small amount in that eventuality
Obviously hypothetical. I think that many people would reapply in a year. I am not sure how the osteopathic offers would impact your allopathic chances in the future.

unfortunately, this is one of the reasons I generally advise not to apply to both MD and DO in the first cycle when you are a solid to great candidate.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but say you drop the DO acceptance and re-apply next cycle MD only, would that hurt your chances? Allopathic schools wouldn't know if you were accepted to osteopathic schools, would they?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but say you drop the DO acceptance and re-apply next cycle MD only, would that hurt your chances? Allopathic schools wouldn't know if you were accepted to osteopathic schools, would they?
No, but he probably couldn't get into DO a second time if MD still didn't work out.

I think you could do better than just a DO. I also think @J Senpai might have an interesting viewpoint on this discussion, since he's a DO.
Bashing of each other is not allowed on SDN.

You have received multiple warnings over the last several days yet continue trolling.

In response to myself and users who noted that you have previously stated that you were not accepted to medical school, you used the tired excuse of "multiple people are using this account".

Since it appears that you (and "your friends") are unable to follow the Terms of Service, we will remove the account for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
lol troll got hit hard with the ban hammer.

In regards to OP sorry to hear this. Hope you hear back soon.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I had this advice when I applied. I'm on a waitlist, but most likely going to a DO school with a 513. Wouldn't have minded reapplying. Highly considered dropping the acceptance.

Op mentions psychiatry albeit academic. I would weigh my choice of probable or possible specialties/non specialties into the equation for a 510 and up 3.7 and up candidate as regards gambling and reapplying. I Always worry about a subpar lor or poor interview in unusual denials.
Ps. Would all DO schools really blacklist a higher stats person who rescinded or declined?