Waitlist Help. Ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems that many of the deadline for schools are around the same time. My first choice is Columbia and they waitlisted me, and the other schools all have deadlines of April 15 also and I'm not sure how to proceed. I was going to email Columbia but I am guessing I definitely wont get an answer till every1 else confirms/gives up their seat....

Any advice? Email Columbia vs waiting game?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask your other schools if you can have an extension. Perhaps May 1st? That way you have some time to hear back from Columbia.

I would suggest emailing/calling them. I was wait-listed at UMichigan, I called them up and said I wanted to go there, and a month later I got accepted.

Contacting them, and politely asking about your application and letting them know you are still very interested in their program can't hurt. Contacting them is not going to be the thing that will keep you out of their school. You can use it as a really great tool to get what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask your other schools if you can have an extension. Perhaps May 1st? That way you have some time to hear back from Columbia.

Yeah thats where I am at now. What are good "reasons" for an extension, besides "im waiting to hear back from other schools" lol

Yeah thats where I am at now. What are good "reasons" for an extension, besides "im waiting to hear back from other schools" lol

You could tell them you're waiting on an external fellowship application and/or other outside funding sources.

I'm on the wait list for BU (I just found out today). I asked the admissions advisor if it would be to my advantage to write a letter to the committee stating why I want to go to BU and that it's my top choice. He said it would be to my advantage. Like it was mentioned above, they look at interest levels of the applicants.

Any other tips for people that have gotten wait listed?? :/