Waitlist info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Katie

OK, I know this is a little bit premature, but with all the questions that are coming up on here about what schools have a lot of waitlist movement and where people can expect to get in, I thought I would compile a list to answer those questions based on my knowledge. This knowledge is based on going through the application process myself and being an SDN member for 2 years. It is not perfect, but it is pretty accurate IMO. Good luck, and feel free to add/subtract to the list if you have reasonably accurate information!

Schools that typically have a good deal of Waitlist Movement:
Albany
Baylor
Creighton
Drexel (used to be MCP)
Eastern Virginia Medical School
George Washington University
Medical College of Virginia/VCU (out-of-state waitlist)
Medical College of Wisconsin
NYU
Saint Louis University
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Syracuse
Tulane
Tufts
University of Arizona (usually goes through most of or entire waitlist)
University of California-Irvine
University of California-San Diego
University of Cincinatti
University of Rochester
University of So. Cal (USC)
University of South Florida

Schools with variable waitlist movement (this means that it is very hard to predict from year to year and varies greatly at these particular schools, with a sig. proportion of the class or more coming from the waitlist one year and almost no waitlist another year)
-Case Western
-Duke
-Georgetown
-Jefferson
-JHU
-Mayo
-Medical College of Virginia (IN-STATE LIST)
-Mt. Sinai
-NYMC
-Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU)
-Rush
-SUNY-Buffalo (?)
-SUNY-Stonybrook
-Temple
-Washington U. in St. Louis
-University of California-Davis
-University of California-LA
-UCSF
-University of Florida (however, nearly always takes people "put on hold" during the course of interview season)
-University of Illinois
-University of Iowa
-University of Maryland
-University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
-University of Nebraska
-University of Pennsylvania
-University of Pittsburgh
-University of South Alabama
-UMDNJ-NJMS
-UMDNJ-RWJ
-University of Vermont

Schools that do NOT typically take many (if any) people from the waitlist
-Dartmouth
-Harvard
-University of Washington (WWAMI)
-UT system schools (may depend on year), Texas Tech, Texas A&M

any schools NOT listed here I am not sure about, if you have info please share with the rest of us.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the info, kate! :)

right on! this is great! from firsthand experience, UCOnn, Tufts, and NYMC waitlists did not move considerably last spring/summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about BU?

My best friend got in there off the waitlist. Was that unusual?

Originally posted by shamthis
right on! this is great! from firsthand experience, UCOnn, Tufts, and NYMC waitlists did not move considerably last spring/summer.

actually, from the people I've met in the M'06 class and the posts on here; it seemed like the Tufts waitlist moved quite a bit. maybe I'm just talking to the wrong people, who knows.. The TUSM waitlist moved a LOT the year I applied; seems like nearly everyone in my class came from the waitlist. they also seem to have a strong preference for taking their own undergrads and people who show strong interest by e-mail. Anyway, you are absolutely correct on NYMC and U Conn (I will add to list, thanks); although NYMC is rumored to have a lot of movement it looks like that didn't happen this year or the year before (I was an NYMC waitlistee). good luck in any case..

I'm not sure about BU, it seems to me that there should be a lot of WL movement there since it is a similar school to Tufts, which has a lot of movement. I didn't see any movement from the BU list last year, but if anyone else has additional info I'll be glad to add it. thanks very much for bringing it up.

editing (thanks to sham for the info):

Albany
Baylor
Creighton
Drexel (used to be MCP)
Medical College of Virginia/VCU (out-of-state waitlist)
NYU
Saint Louis University
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Syracuse
Tulane
Tufts
University of Arizona (usually goes through most of or entire waitlist)
University of Cincinatti
University of Rochester
University of South Florida

Schools with variable waitlist movement (this means that it is very hard to predict from year to year and varies greatly at these particular schools, with a sig. proportion of the class or more coming from the waitlist one year and almost no waitlist another year)
-Case Western
-Duke
-Georgetown
-Jefferson
-JHU
-Mayo
-Mt. Sinai
-NYMC
-Rush
-SUNY-Buffalo (?)
-SUNY-Stonybrook
-Temple
-UCSF
-University of Connecticut
-University of Florida (however, nearly always takes people "put on hold" during the course of interview season)
-University of Illinois
-University of Iowa
-University of Maryland
-University of Nebraska
-University of Pennsylvania
-UMDNJ-NJMS
-UMDNJ-RWJ
-University of Vermont

-Dartmouth
-Harvard

any schools NOT listed here I am not sure about, if you have info please share with the rest of us.

bumping up for xaelia and seaworthc. I will add any specific info I know, but as far as exactly how many people are typically taken off the waitlist at various schools I don't really have any helpful info. however, anyone who wishes is welcome to add it

Albany
Baylor
Creighton
Drexel (used to be MCP)
Medical College of Virginia/VCU (out-of-state waitlist, April or May)
NYU
Saint Louis University
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Syracuse
Tulane (movement begins in late May)
Tufts ("official" waitlist starts in mid-May, movement begins in late May/early June-15-40% of the class comes from the waitlist)
University of Arizona (usually goes through most of or entire waitlist of 35-50 people, about 20-25% of interviewees are accepted in the end (including waitlisted candidates)
University of Cincinatti
University of Rochester
University of South Florida-movement begins in April or May
Wayne State University

-Case Western
-Columbia
-Duke
-Georgetown
-Jefferson
-JHU
-Mayo
-Michigan State University-CHM
-Mt. Sinai
-NYMC
-Rush
-SUNY-Buffalo (?)
-SUNY-Stonybrook
-Temple (almost no movement this past year, lot of movement in 2001)
-UCSF
-University of Chicago-Pritzker
-University of Florida (however, nearly always takes people "put on hold" during the course of interview season. Waitlist begins in April and begins moving in mid to late May. UF went through entire waitlist this year, not the year before)
-University of Illinois (most spots open up at campuses other than Chicago)
-University of Iowa
-University of Maryland-anywhere from no waitlist movement to half the class coming off the waitlist.
-University of Michigan
-University of Nebraska (did not fill class this year after going through waitlist, this is reportedly unusual)
-University of North Carolina
-University of Pennsylvania (decent amt of movement this year)
-UMDNJ-NJMS
-UMDNJ-RWJ
-University of Vermont

-Dartmouth
-Harvard

any schools NOT listed here I am not sure about, if you have info please share with the rest of us. thanks!

Just wanted to correct the error regarding UT schools not accepting off the waitlist. I cannot speak for all the schools, but I know that UT-Southwestern DOES accept a significant number of people off their out of state waitlist. Just wanted to restore hope to anyone that might get waitlisted when the match results come out in Feb.

Originally posted by time quaker
Just wanted to correct the error regarding UT schools not accepting off the waitlist. I cannot speak for all the schools, but I know that UT-Southwestern DOES accept a significant number of people off their out of state waitlist. Just wanted to restore hope to anyone that might get waitlisted when the match results come out in Feb.

since I don't believe that the majority of the students at UT-SW are from out-of-state, I don't think that my statement was really erroneus. When I applied, most of the students posting on the board said that it was extremely hard to get off a UT waitlist for TX residents. Although I will add the info you gave us (thanks, BTW) about UT-SW, I still believe from the info I have that the UT schools are NOT among the schools known for pulling large numbers of people off the waitlist, and will continue to keep that information on the list. For TX residents who are not admitted into the UT system on Feb. 15, I am not telling you to lose hope, just saying that you probably have a better chance of getting in off a private school's waitlist than one of the UT schools. the point of this thread is to not make applicants hopeless, but to reassure them about certain schools and be straightforward about others. Personally, if someone has 0 acceptances and a waitlist only at Harvard come May, I would suggest that they make plans to reapply. But if they choose to wait on Harvard and not send in the application, I can respect that too.

adding the info on UT-SW

Albany
Baylor
Creighton
Drexel (used to be MCP)
NYU
Saint Louis University
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Syracuse
Tufts ("official" waitlist starts in mid-May, movement begins in late May/early June-15-40% of the class comes from the waitlist)
University of Arizona (usually goes through most of or entire waitlist of 35-50 people, about 20-25% of interviewees are accepted in the end (including waitlisted candidates)
University of Cincinatti
University of Rochester
University of Texas-SW (OUT-OF-STATE)
Wayne State University

-Case Western
-Columbia
-Duke
-Georgetown
-Jefferson
-JHU
-Mayo
-Mt. Sinai
-NYMC
-Rush
-SUNY-Buffalo (?)
-SUNY-Stonybrook
-Temple (almost no movement this past year, lot of movement in 2001)
-UCSF
-University of Florida (however, nearly always takes people "put on hold" during the course of interview season. Waitlist begins in April and begins moving in mid to late May. UF went through entire waitlist this year, not the year before)
-University of Iowa
-University of Maryland-anywhere from no waitlist movement to half the class coming off the waitlist.
-University of Michigan
-University of Nebraska (did not fill class this year after going through waitlist, this is reportedly unusual)
-UMDNJ-NJMS
-UMDNJ-RWJ
-University of Vermont

-Dartmouth
-Harvard

any schools NOT listed here I am not sure about, if you have info please share with the rest of us. thanks! [/B][/QUOTE]

I know that UCHSC (UC Denver) almost always ends up accepting the entire top third of their (ranked) waitlist. They told me at my interview that making the top third of the waitlist can almost be considered an acceptance, and that there's even hope for many people on the second third.

Edit: I have a hard time not associating "waitlist movement" with "bowel movement" whenever I read about it. It's too bad about Harvard's severe constipation problem- maybe it's IBS? :confused:

Penn usually doesn't have very much waitlist movement...

does anyone have any info about University of Miami's waitlist movement, etc? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP, for all those on a bunch of waitlists like me. If any others can add updated info, we would all appreciate it.

I'm thinking Suny-Buffalo might belong in the lots of waitlist movement category. According to the Dean, a couple of years they've taken the whole list.
I didn't get the impression that the other years they didn't also take a good number. I have no independent info, though.

since 1/2 - 2/3 of wash u's class generally comes from the waitlist, i think it belongs in the more 'giving' category

Does anyone have information on the waitlist movement at MCO? (Medical College of Ohio) :)

Wake Forest says that 30-50% of the class comes from the waitlist.

bump. someone out there must have some info. on MCO. :D

I am modifying the list to reflect later comments

Albany
Baylor
Creighton
Drexel (used to be MCP)
NYU
Saint Louis University
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Syracuse
University of Cincinatti
UC Denver
University of Rochester
Wake Forest
Washington University
Wayne State University

-Case Western
-Columbia
-Duke
-Georgetown
-Jefferson
-JHU
-Mayo
-Mt. Sinai
-NYMC
-Rush
-SUNY-Buffalo (?)
-SUNY-Stonybrook
-Temple (almost no movement this past year, lot of movement in 2001
-UCSF
-University of Iowa
-University of Michigan
-UMDNJ-NJMS
-UMDNJ-RWJ
-University of Vermont

-Dartmouth
-Harvard
-University of Pennsylvania (UCLA 2000 says little movement)

any schools NOT listed here I am not sure about, if you have info please share with the rest of us. thanks!

Bump! This is a helpful thread for those of us that are currently waitlisted. :(
BTW, are there any fellow Medical College of Ohio waitlisters? Or anyone with info. on MCO's waitlist?

From spending the last year at BU with the med students, I would say the wait list moves a whole lot, but they accept far more than their class to compensate. For the HUGE pricetag and sub-harvard mentality, going through a large number of acceptances and a decent number of waitlisted is pretty understandable.

i am also currently on the MCO waiting list (high priority, out-of-state--whatever that means, right??!)

here's what i know about the WL at MCO: there are two separate lists--one for out-of-state, one for in-state. typically, according to Dean Meyers in the admissions office, they have a lot of movement on their WL between now and june. primarily, this has to do with the fact the the state of Ohio has so many med schools...

the out-of-state list is usually about 80-100 kids, i believe.
they told me that, usually, they go through their entire out-of-state list so that's promising. (which is good for both of us, cuz you're from LA, right?) but then again, it's tough to tell from year to year because trends shift SO much.

JZZZZZZZZs--have you called the admissions office to find out your placement on the WL? sent a letter of interest/intent? etc etc... if you have, my advice to you is to be patient--you've done everything you can, worked so hard to this point, i'm sure. hope for the very best and it will come to you... but also, keep yourself grounded and prepared at the same time.

as for me, i have 0 acceptances and am on 3 WLs... in other words, i'm trying to follow my own advice. easier said than done, i know!

so that's all i have--sorry if it's redundant.
good luck to you (and everyone else who's waiting!)

sp
:D

anyone has info. regarding Cornell's waitlist movement?

Originally posted by MedguyNYC
anyone has info. regarding Cornell's waitlist movement?
when talking to a couple 1st year students there I was told (dont know how accurate it is), about 25 percent of the class came off the waitlist. Supposedly they havent been accepting as many students outright recently since a few years ago they overbooked a class and had to beg students to defer a year.

good luck! :)

trubluwolv,
hey there, fellow MCO waitlister. I'm also in the high priority caterogry but I didn't realize that there are two lists, one for in-state and one for out-of-state. Does this mean that they take in-staters over us wannabe Ohioans? (sp?)
I guess it's encouraging to hear Dr. Meyers say that most out-of-staters get in. But 80-100 seems like a pretty high number. Sigh......we'll just have to be patient and sit tight.
A couple of days ago, I called the Admissions office and asked them about sending in the letter of intent or some updated grades and they said that it's not necessary since they will not move anybody once they're on the waitlist. She also told me to call back around mid-June to find out where I am on the list.
Anyway, good luck with your waitlists. We might even be classmates! :clap:

good luck to you too, JZZZZZZZs!!!!
maybe we will be classmates!

even though the admissions office says that its "not necessary", i think i would still send something, maybe at the end of may, beginning of june when they start moving.... but that's me--especially if MCO is your top choice and you would be able to send it a letter of intent.

just my $.01 ;)

cheers!
sp

bump! thanks, Katie.

the trend with waitlists seems to be that they don't start "moving" until april/may. i'm just wondering...do schools start pulling ANY people off waitlists before then?

Great thread.....

Does anyone who, like me, is on a LOT of waitlists have any idea WHY? I have posted here before, and was told that it was my interviews. I am absolutely positively positively positive it was NOT my interviews--so for those of you who share my "dilemma," any insight on why you are on a waitlist? My opinion is that, since I got all of my applications in right away (i.e., on the first day we could send in apps), I may have gotten a boatload of interviews, but they were like, "OK, he's good, but there may be some really great people coming along later..let's just wait on him so we don't jump ahead." Make sense?

Anyway, just curious about what you all think could be the reason(s) why you we're on waitlists.

Keep faith...it's really all we've got at this point.

University of Washington (WWAMI) has two waitlists. They burn completely through their ranked waitlist and take ~25 off the non-ranked waitlist every year.

Originally posted by Shakenotstirred
Great thread.....

Does anyone who, like me, is on a LOT of waitlists have any idea WHY? I have posted here before, and was told that it was my interviews. I am absolutely positively positively positive it was NOT my interviews--so for those of you who share my "dilemma," any insight on why you are on a waitlist? My opinion is that, since I got all of my applications in right away (i.e., on the first day we could send in apps), I may have gotten a boatload of interviews, but they were like, "OK, he's good, but there may be some really great people coming along later..let's just wait on him so we don't jump ahead." Make sense?

Anyway, just curious about what you all think could be the reason(s) why you we're on waitlists.

No promises here but...
If you're overqualified, you're going to end up on the waitlist because med schools think that you're going to get into and go to a better school. They want to take people who they KNOW are going to go to their schools first. Afterwards, they work down the waitlist.

Originally posted by Shakenotstirred
Great thread.....

well its really hard to see how the interviewer graded you. tho you may think you had a great interview you never know if he gave you that "high admit" or not.
but assuming they did.... then maybe its cause half the committee werent sold on you just yet.
i was under the impression that if it is a rolling school... getting an early interview means they really like you....and just want to see if you would be a good fit for the school by inviting you to an interview....
if its a non rolling school then this isnt the case as much and they could be just holding off on you until they get to interview a few more people.
but regardless...getting on the list earlier is better than later cause at some schools they actively review you again over the course of the year to see if they can offer you an acceptance then...

just some random thoughts..... i do hope you get in tho.

Northwestern- from the adm offc:

The alternate list is not ranked. The number of students accepted from the alternate list varies from year to year, from a few acceptances to around thirty. It is possible for one to be accepted from the alternate list any time before classes start in the fall.

Based on their self reporting, this would go in the variable section. I have read (w/personal interest) several threads suggesting little movement at NU, but I think last year they admitted too many so this year they may be erring on the side of caution.

Albany
Baylor
Creighton
Drexel (used to be MCP)
NYU
Saint Louis University
SUNY-Buffalo
SUNY-Downstate
SUNY-Syracuse
University of Cincinatti
UC Denver
University of Rochester
Wake Forest
Washington University
Wayne State University

-Case Western
-Columbia
-Duke
-Georgetown
-Jefferson
-JHU
-Mayo
-Mt. Sinai
-NYMC
-Northwestern (few - 30)
-Rush
-SUNY-Buffalo (?)
-SUNY-Stonybrook
-Temple (almost no movement this past year, lot of movement in 2001
-UCSF
-University of Iowa
-University of Michigan
-UMDNJ-NJMS
-UMDNJ-RWJ
-University of Vermont

-Dartmouth
-Harvard

any schools NOT listed here, if you have info please share with the rest of us. thanks!

trying to ressurect this from last year so we can post some accurate info, the timing is becoming relevant...

this was written last season, anyone have any changes or additions?

Does anyone have any info on the movement of Penn State's waitlist? I do not see it mentioned on any of the above lists...

I don't know what is typical for Loyola, but I do know of two current Loyola students who had late interviews, one in March and the other in early April. The girl who interviewed in March was put on the alternate list and accepted in May. They guy who interviewed in April was put on the alternate list and got accepted 2 days before class started.

Thanks for reviving the thread Medikit,
anyone have info on EVMS's waitlist? Anything new is much appreciated! :D

what about nymc?

Katie said:
-Dartmouth
-Harvard

I'm not sure about Dartmouth. I've heard from a very good source that it's not uncommon for a few dozen to be taken off the waitlist.

does anyone have any info on what it means to be in the top group in terms of chances at these two schools. any specifics like how many are in each group?

I just sent you a PM. As for chances, I think you have an excellent chance if you are top tier for Hopkins. I'm top tier for UMich too. Based on last years threads, I think if you are in state, your chances are very good. Out of staters might have a lower chance.

mumpers said:
does anyone have any info on what it means to be in the top group in terms of chances at these two schools. any specifics like how many are in each group?

Though I'm not in the mix this year, and not sure how accurate this is from year to year or if this is still worth anyone's time, I thought I'd give y'all something to talk about. Or look at. Or ignore. :thumbup:

-Dartmouth
-Harvard

the FAQ for Harvard says 40-65% of students get off of the waitlist.... i think that's a pretty good amount and should maybe be moved to a different list?