waitlist - letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JunkintheTrunk

Blondes are smrt
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm writing my letters of intent right now for loyola and rush: would it be a bad thing to tell both of them that they're my first choice? loyola is my REAL first choice, but i have a feeling that if i tell rush that they're "really high on my list" they won't consider me as highly....i know schools would rather take a waitlister that really has a shot at attending. hmmmm. gimme some feedback.
:scared: :p

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would feel guilty if I told a school they were my number one choice, and then bailed out on them. I would definitely tell Loyola they're your number one choice. For Rush, I would write letter stating how you are still very interested in intending the school and how you hope they will still strongly consider you for admissions. Hope that helps. Good luck on getting in! :luck:

Nike said:
Personally, I would feel guilty if I told a school they were my number one choice, and then bailed out on them. I would definitely tell Loyola they're your number one choice. For Rush, I would write letter stating how you are still very interested in intending the school and how you hope they will still strongly consider you for admissions. Hope that helps. Good luck on getting in! :luck:
Do schools really care about us (applicants)? I lost almost all my trust on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, go all out for one school and swear on your life that you will go but you can't do this for more than one. For the others just say they are among your top three (or whatever number) choices. If you say "among my top two choices" obviously that would be kinda weird.

Or you don't have to say anything about where the school ranks on your list, and just write about why you are interested.

Yeah. . I basically wrote two letters, the only difference being that in one I busted out the words "top choice" and in the other I said, "I still very much would like to go there." But that did not stop me from sending them both flowers and chocolates. I don't think that your #2 will even notice if you phrase it in a good way. :)

yeah its wrong to write 2 letters of intent to 2 different schools. could cause a problem if they found out, which is very possible.

if loyola is your first choice then the letter of intent belongs to them. you must state this very clearly.

if rush is not your first choice, then you will write a letter of interest telling them that you are still very much interested in the school, but unlike the intent letter you do not write anything that commits you to that school.

LOIs are not legally binding and I was told that there is no way a school can start trouble if you change your mind about some place. I actually talked to someone about this. It morally isnt the right thing to do, it could screw others, and it could get you a bad reputation if you flip-flop. BUT they cant retract an admission or anything, or so I have been told. Its best to be honest though.

I vaguely remember a piece of advice from somewhere that it is bad practice to say you have two #1's. When/if you are accepted to both you obviously have to turn one down. Not a problem until residency time when your file is reviewed. I have heard that a grudge can be held against you and you can kinda be blacklisted from the circle of collegues of the adcom of the original school you turn down. I don't know how true this may be, and how far reaching the effects may or may not be, but it might be something to consider.

Plus, lying just aint good.