Waitlist movement at MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrickenhugeMD

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just got my letter from MCW this week telling me I wasnt good enough for them yet :(. At the interview day they told us that the interview was the most important aspect of them granting admissions to students. They told us this right after both our interviews which at the time made me feel confident since both of my interviews felt like the best ones I have had so far. Anyway, to my extreme disappointment, I have been placed on the alternate list (didnt someone say they either accepted or rejected only this time of the year?)

My question is this: how much waitlist movement is there at MCW? When should I expect to hear something/give up on them?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I just got my letter from MCW this week telling me I wasnt good enough for them yet :(. At the interview day they told us that the interview was the most important aspect of them granting admissions to students. They told us this right after both our interviews which at the time made me feel confident since both of my interviews felt like the best ones I have had so far. Anyway, to my extreme disappointment, I have been placed on the alternate list (didnt someone say they either accepted or rejected only this time of the year?)

My question is this: how much waitlist movement is there at MCW? When should I expect to hear something/give up on them?

Don't they tell you at the interview that they also put people on the waitlist? There's people added to the waitlist all year, just moreso towards the end of interviewing.

There will definitely be no movement until after that deadline in mid-May when people have to drop all but 1 med school. The list movement varies every year.

I'm sorry you didn't get in.

I was on the wait list last year for MCW. Mike Istwan (Director of Admissions) told me there was no movement at all and obviously no luck for me. I hate to be a buzzkill for you but I wished I would have had some answers sooner as it would very likely had a drastic change in my plans for this "transitional" year. I hope it works out for you but I find that being realistic with yourself is better in the end in terms of planning ahead. And, I do know current physicians who were called off the list with one week to spare so not all hope is lost. If you're in that situation whatever you're doing or whoever you might be working for would certainly understand you having to leave.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at MCW on 10/19. My second interviewer went to my undergrad institution so we just bsd most of the interview. He told me he was waitlisted there but got in but the year after not a single person on the waitlist got in there. Sorry to dash your hopes but that probably isn't reflective of this year. I was accepted and I loved the school so I see why very few acceptances are rejected. Good luck with your other schools.

but I wished I would have had some answers sooner as it would very likely had a drastic change in my plans for this "transitional" year.

as someone who was on 4 waitlists last year, this is exactly how i felt. as soon as your interviews turn into waiting lists, start fleshing out plan b. for one thing, it will be a lot less nerve-wracking come may-july when you are waiting on some type of movement. and in the worst case scenario, you are fully prepared to make round 2 more successful. best wishes for a happy outcome.