Waitlist movement c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I totally agree which is whyI think I am going to end up at Michigan. I just don't think I will be happy at Iowa. I have been worried about it for months and now that I got into Michigan State I think I will only have regrets going there. 56000 is a lot but if it is investing in making me able to be a better vet then its worth it. I think. But still 56000!!!! AHH
Having some form of financial security is important to me, so if I were in your situation, I'd go with the cheapest option (ISU). I don't know where you're from, but the midwest may not be as closed minded as you think. Ames is a decently sized college town -- there tends to be a cluster of more left-winged/liberal people in such areas. Your sexual orientation/demographics may not be as much of a hang up as you're expecting it to be. Admittedly, I've never been to Michigan (let alone Lansing), so I don't know how it compares. But $56k, not including interest, is a lot of extra money to take on.

That being said... it is four years. If you truly believe that your mental health or happiness is at risk, then maybe MSU is a good option.

This is a judgement call that I think only you can really make, unfortunately. It's a hard one...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate that I only got 48 hours to decide as well. So little time for such a big decision

I hate that I only got 48 hours to decide as well. So little time for such a big decision
Why not try posting your concerns or questions on the Iowa and Michigan State threads and see what advice you get from the vet students who go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree which is whyI think I am going to end up at Michigan. I just don't think I will be happy at Iowa. I have been worried about it for months and now that I got into Michigan State I think I will only have regrets going there. 56000 is a lot but if it is investing in making me able to be a better vet then its worth it. I think. But still 56000!!!! AHH
Going to Michigan over Iowa is not going to make you a better vet, and if that is your reason, I'd go to Iowa. I understand your concerns, especially from a relationship standpoint, but I think you may find Iowa has more to offer than you think. I know several people that went/go there and some were pleasantly surprised to find they actually liked the area more that they thought.

You have to go with what your gut is telling you, not with what is the "right" choice. The right choice may be a cheaper option, but if to you it is more important to be somewhere you think will be happier, then you have to suck up the money loss. However, there is no guarantee you will be happier at Michigan than Iowa. Two of my friends had never gone to Iowa or visited, and when they applied Iowa was last on their list. After interviewing, Iowa actually became at the top of their list because they said it was a beautiful school, everyone was so nice, and the town was actually like a city!

I agree with what someone said on here, and post on both school's threads to ask them what they like and dislike abut the school. Yes it is four years, but it will FLY by. I have friends that just finished their second years at school, and it seems like they JUST started (they feel that way too)! Good luck, that is a hard decision!

Last edited:
Decided on Michigan. It is what felt right for me. Thanks for all the advise!

Reactions: 1 users
OMFG JUST GOT INTO CSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sent my check to MSU yesterday. I'm going to have to call and stop that.

OMFG JUST GOT INTO CSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sent my check to MSU yesterday. I'm going to have to call and stop that.
Ahhh I'm literally freaking out right now. I feel like I only have a few hours to decide so I can cancel my check . CSU is my undergrad and I live in Denver and the one of the best programs. But MSU sounds great as well. I was really excited after I turned in my acceptance.
The cost difference is minimal virtually the same I think. Can I turn down CSU!!!!!!!!!!!??????/

Sorry I'm processing here

Ahhh I'm literally freaking out right now. I feel like I only have a few hours to decide so I can cancel my check . CSU is my undergrad and I live in Denver and the one of the best programs. But MSU sounds great as well. I was really excited after I turned in my acceptance.
The cost difference is minimal virtually the same I think. Can I turn down CSU!!!!!!!!!!!??????/

Sorry I'm processing here
Tough decision. Honestly, I think if you're looking for a queer friendly place to live, stay in CO. What type of medicine do you want to practice? That might be the determining factor.

EDIT: ALSO, vast landscapes of mountains is hard to pass up :p

The cost difference between Iowa and MSU is 56000.....that's pretty big.
Trying to decide if the quality of life between the two is that important to me. As of right now I think it is.....aggghh decisions.

What do you guys think. School wise they are pretty similar but Michigan may be a little better. But Lansing just seems like a place I would want to live in waaaay more the Ames. I'm queer and there just doesn't seem to be much opportunity in Ames. Lansing has two gay bars. This may not seem like a big deal and it's not just about the bars it's about felling comfortable where I am living. What do you guys think....anyone that isn't straight have an opinion on this???
Uh... Iowa was one of the first states to legalize gay marriage. Des Moines is as queer-friendly as San Francisco. Just FYI. It's not all farmers and pigs out here.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Uh... Iowa was one of the first states to legalize gay marriage. Des Moines is as queer-friendly as San Francisco. Just FYI. It's not all farmers and pigs out here.

Surprisingly, most of the farmers/ranchers I've met in Nebraska are more supportive of LGBT+ than some of the city people I knew in Denver. I was definitely surprised when I got here.

Reactions: 2 users
Surprisingly, most of the farmers/ranchers I've met in Nebraska are more supportive of LGBT+ than some of the city people I knew in Denver. I was definitely surprised when I got here.
Also true! I should have left out the farmer part and just said pigs. Many farmers are very open-minded. I was thinking about the multitude of gay clubs in Des Moines, and contrasting that with the reputation that Iowa has back East of being the land of farmers and pigs.

Reactions: 2 users
Meh, I'd have told you to pick Iowa, but that ship has already sailed.

Having stated that, no one vet school will make you a "better vet" than any other. I've met many vets from many schools and I've seen not so good ones from specific schools and amazing ones from the same schools. Heck you'll get to vet school and wonder how some people even got accepted. No one program is "better" than another, but some do offer different things. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make a big difference. Most of your learning to be a vet will occur once you are out of those vet school walls and actually have to make decisions on patients. Yes you learn a ton in school, but you continually learn, grow and develop as a vet once you leave.

Emailed Mizzou asking about the state of the OOS waitlist, and they said it looks like the flow of people dropping has stopped :( Looks like I'll be applying again next year unless a miracle happens

I got a call from one of my wait listed schools, but the message didn't explain the purpose of their call. Here's hoping on Monday I can report back with surviving the wait list. I'm hoping an explanation of the call wasn't given because the clock starts ticking the moment they have a real-time conversation with the wait listed person? :arghh: I'll be in my corner waiting for Monday morning.

I got a call from one of my wait listed schools, but the message didn't explain the purpose of their call. Here's hoping on Monday I can report back with surviving the wait list. I'm hoping an explanation of the call wasn't given because the clock starts ticking the moment they have a real-time conversation with the wait listed person? :arghh: I'll be in my corner waiting for Monday morning.
I think it would be weird for the clock to start ticking if they didn't explain why they called in their voicemail. They likely want to make sure that you actually saw/heard/read/understood whatever they wanted to tell you about before starting an arbitrary countdown clock for you. I'm not sure which school called you - some call for pulling people off the waitlist and others call to make sure you want to stay on the wait list or to tell you if the class is full. I wouldn't stress about it too much right now just because all of the stress in the world won't make Monday come faster and won't change their reason for calling you. (I know that's really difficult advice to follow since it's about something that means a lot to you)

For what it's worth, some schools are super strict about not leaving voicemails telling you that you got in (they prefer to do it in person I guess?). I'm not sure why that's a thing, but again - whatever.

When I got in to a dual program at CSU they called me right after they posted decisions to tell me and I missed the call - and they also didn't tell me in the voicemail that I had been accepted. I had to call back for them to tell me/congratulate me even though decisions were already online.

Thankfully I did not have to wait until Monday. I e-mailed and they replied to me this morning confirming it is an offer for Kansas State.

Reactions: 8 users
Got the call from OSU on Friday, I'm going to vet school! I had given up on this year!

Reactions: 5 users
Emailed Mizzou asking about the state of the OOS waitlist, and they said it looks like the flow of people dropping has stopped :( Looks like I'll be applying again next year unless a miracle happens

Same boat for Mizzou's in state list. It's hard to accept but we are all in this together!

hello all,
i was accepted today off of an out of state waitlist. yay! but...
i was rejected from my IS, but recently met with my IS admissions to go over my application from last year and it sounded as though if i kept everything up with my new experiences they couldn't see me not getting in next year. i am not sure if this is what they tell everyone to get competitive in-staters to keep applying instead of going elsewhere and i would be extremely disappointed and crushed if i found out i did not get in to my IS again this coming cycle and ALSO had turned down an opportunity the year before at a great OOS school. the tuition difference over 4 years is substantial $80K-$90K and the primary reason (besides living/moving costs/boyfriend being IS still with career) for my hesitation. i fear 7-8 years down the road i would be kicking myself if i decided to go out of state and had a pile of debt instead of being patient and waiting a year. my heart obviously says yes because this is my dream but my gut, brain, and financially responsible side say no.. i've never been so torn
any advice or similar experiences and their outcomes would be much appreciated.:nailbiting::shrug:

hello all,
i was accepted today off of an out of state waitlist. yay! but...
i was rejected from my IS, but recently met with my IS admissions to go over my application from last year and it sounded as though if i kept everything up with my new experiences they couldn't see me not getting in next year. i am not sure if this is what they tell everyone to get competitive in-staters to keep applying instead of going elsewhere and i would be extremely disappointed and crushed if i found out i did not get in to my IS again this coming cycle and ALSO had turned down an opportunity the year before at a great OOS school. the tuition difference over 4 years is substantial $80K-$90K and the primary reason (besides living/moving costs/boyfriend being IS still with career) for my hesitation. i fear 7-8 years down the road i would be kicking myself if i decided to go out of state and had a pile of debt instead of being patient and waiting a year. my heart obviously says yes because this is my dream but my gut, brain, and financially responsible side say no.. i've never been so torn
any advice or similar experiences and their outcomes would be much appreciated.:nailbiting::shrug:
I had the exact same experience last year. I got into auburn and was rejected by my IS. I met with admissions from my IS to see what I needed to improve. Auburn would've been crazy expensive and away from my family/long term bf. It was a hard decision but I decided to decline my Auburn seat and just apply to my IS the next cycle. It's risky because what if I didn't get in again and I lost my chance at being a vet? I took the risk, applied again and I got in this year. Now I'm going to be going to my dream school, have in state tuition and can stay with my friends/family. It was a good choice for me because I wouldn't have been as happy in Auburn as I would at my IS school (plus my wallet is EXTREMELY happy). During the gap year I worked my butt off to make my experiences even better and to get eLORs from people at my IS school.

I had the exact same experience last year. I got into auburn and was rejected by my IS. I met with admissions from my IS to see what I needed to improve. Auburn would've been crazy expensive and away from my family/long term bf. It was a hard decision but I decided to decline my Auburn seat and just apply to my IS the next cycle. It's risky because what if I didn't get in again and I lost my chance at being a vet? I took the risk, applied again and I got in this year. Now I'm going to be going to my dream school, have in state tuition and can stay with my friends/family. It was a good choice for me because I wouldn't have been as happy in Auburn as I would at my IS school (plus my wallet is EXTREMELY happy). During the gap year I worked my butt off to make my experiences even better and to get eLORs from people at my IS school.

That makes me feel a lot better because i'm leaning towards waiting and reapplying to my instate, i just hope it turns out the same for me as it did for you! Good luck!

Hi guys! I have a similar sort of situation to MOB23 as well that I need advice on (please)! I'm a Massachusetts native and applied this past cycle to a few schools including Tufts which I was waitlisted at. Since this cycle wasn't very successful (based mainly on my poor interviewing skills), I've made the decision to move in with my aunt in Atlanta, GA and gain GA state residency and apply to UGA for the upcoming cycle so it will be cheaper overall. However, Tufts recently sent out an email saying that they are expecting changes in the class and would like us to reconfirm our interest in remaining on the alternate list and would expect us to accept an offer if given. Since Tufts IS doesn't offer nearly as much of a discounted tuition as virtually every other school's IS tuition (approximately $45K a year versus $50K), I'm torn at what to do. UGA's IS tuition is approximately $20K. I'm not sure if I should remain on Tufts alternate list in the hopes of getting called off it in the next month for an increased debt of $100K or risk not getting into UGA or any other school next year and putting myself off two more years instead of one. At Tufts I would be able to live at home where I would be paying for an apartment etc if I went to UGA since Atlanta is too far to commute to Athens. Is the higher cost of tuition worth it to go to school a year earlier and make a higher salary a year earlier as well or no? Thanks for reading this long-winded post as well!! To add, I would be moving away from my boyfriend of 7+ years when he has just begun career here in MA and it would be undetermined when he would be able to join me in GA.

Hi guys! I have a similar sort of situation to MOB23 as well that I need advice on (please)! I'm a Massachusetts native and applied this past cycle to a few schools including Tufts which I was waitlisted at. Since this cycle wasn't very successful (based mainly on my poor interviewing skills), I've made the decision to move in with my aunt in Atlanta, GA and gain GA state residency and apply to UGA for the upcoming cycle so it will be cheaper overall. However, Tufts recently sent out an email saying that they are expecting changes in the class and would like us to reconfirm our interest in remaining on the alternate list and would expect us to accept an offer if given. Since Tufts IS doesn't offer nearly as much of a discounted tuition as virtually every other school's IS tuition (approximately $45K a year versus $50K), I'm torn at what to do. UGA's IS tuition is approximately $20K. I'm not sure if I should remain on Tufts alternate list in the hopes of getting called off it in the next month for an increased debt of $100K or risk not getting into UGA or any other school next year and putting myself off two more years instead of one. At Tufts I would be able to live at home where I would be paying for an apartment etc if I went to UGA since Atlanta is too far to commute to Athens. Is the higher cost of tuition worth it to go to school a year earlier and make a higher salary a year earlier as well or no? Thanks for reading this long-winded post as well!! To add, I would be moving away from my boyfriend of 7+ years when he has just begun career here in MA and it would be undetermined when he would be able to join me in GA.

I would definitely check with UGA and see how long you have to live there in order to gain residency. I dont think if you moved there now, you would be considered in state for this upcoming cycle.. Which means you would have to wait a full year again before apply.. At that rate you would be a second year at Tufts before you would be starting at UGA... And I feel like some schools require you to be in the state more than a year before being considered a resident.. Definitely something you should look into before deciding.

I would definitely check with UGA and see how long you have to live there in order to gain residency. I dont think if you moved there now, you would be considered in state for this upcoming cycle.. Which means you would have to wait a full year again before apply.. At that rate you would be a second year at Tufts before you would be starting at UGA... And I feel like some schools require you to be in the state more than a year before being considered a resident.. Definitely something you should look into before deciding.
Yes I will be! You need to be a resident via the date of issue on your GA state license a year before classes start so I will considered a resident in the upcoming cycle

For me it's about age. If I were in my early 20s I would try my hardest to achieve IS tuition because time is on my side to reapply and get a solid acceptance.
The older I've gotten, it turned into a: I'll start as soon as possible.
I could easily argue that the younger you are, the more time you've got to pay off the OOS rates. Feel free to use that to motivate you to wait for Tufts if you're hoping for someone to encourage you to stay :)
I chose the ASAP route because I'm in my 30s. I would have moved out of state without my spouse while they eventually/hopefully could join me. Another year or two waiting is a bigger deal to me now than at 21.

Overall, this may not be a helpful response because it's truly a question only you can answer: what's more important to you: saving money or finishing ASAP?

Also something to consider is a year out of school is a year's worth of lost income. Just my three cents.

Yes I will be! You need to be a resident via the date of issue on your GA state license a year before classes start so I will considered a resident in the upcoming cycle

Even so, when you press submit on your application this fall, you, for admissions purposes, will be considered out of state because you have only been in georgia for a couple months... and thus will be in the out of state pool of students.. Historically UGA admits a very low number of out of state students.. for the class of 2018 they admitted 15 OOS students, 2017 - 13... So that makes the statistical chances of you getting in much more difficult than if you were an in-state student.

After looking over the UGA residency page, it looks like there is more to it than just "the date on your drivers license"... http://vet.uga.edu/admissions/residency_information ... But even so, I think the biggest thing is that you are going to be OOS during the admissions process, making the prospects of getting accepted much lower.

Even so, when you press submit on your application this fall, you, for admissions purposes, will be considered out of state because you have only been in georgia for a couple months... and thus will be in the out of state pool of students.. Historically UGA admits a very low number of out of state students.. for the class of 2018 they admitted 15 OOS students, 2017 - 13... So that makes the statistical chances of you getting in much more difficult than if you were an in-state student.

After looking over the UGA residency page, it looks like there is more to it than just "the date on your drivers license"... http://vet.uga.edu/admissions/residency_information ... But even so, I think the biggest thing is that you are going to be OOS during the admissions process, making the prospects of getting accepted much lower.
I think I'll chime in here. As an OOS applicant to Wisconsin who was simultaneously establishing residency in the state, I learned that I could have applied to the school as an IS applicant even though I was not a resident of the state at the time of application submission. The rule at Wisconsin is you have to be considered a resident at the time of matriculation, not application submission. Now, if I applied as an IS applicant and did not officially establish residency, but was accepted as an IS student, I would have my acceptance revoked and I would have to reapply to the program the following year. I don't think this is true for every school, but one should read the residency rules of each institution as they establish the policies for IS matriculation.

I think I'll chime in here. As an OOS applicant to Wisconsin who was simultaneously establishing residency in the state, I learned that I could have applied to the school as an IS applicant even though I was not a resident of the state at the time of application submission. The rule at Wisconsin is you have to be considered a resident at the time of matriculation, not application submission. Now, if I applied as an IS applicant and did not officially establish residency, but was accepted as an IS student, I would have my acceptance revoked and I would have to reapply to the program the following year. I don't think this is true for every school, but one should read the residency rules of each institution as they establish the policies for IS matriculation.
CSU is similar - you have to establish domicile for a continuous year before the first day of classes. This means you could turn in your app completely and have not even started the process but could get IS tuition if you completed it by the time classes start (assuming you turn your app in August 15th - most years here school starts around the 20th). It's a dumb move to do that (establish that stuff early in case there's issues!), but you could theoretically do it.

I've moved around a lot and the same thing has been the case in NY and in VA. The day that I submitted VMCAS, I would not have been considered IS for Virginia, but the rule is that you must have lived in the state for a year on the date of matriculation. By the time I'd be matriculating, it would've been over a year, so according to the residency form I had to submit for VMCVM, I was considered IS. The law was the same in NY, if I remember correctly. I was also able to qualify for IS tuition when doing my pre-reqs in NY despite not having lived in the state for a full year because I had enough documentation (license, registration, lease, NY marriage certificate, spouse with in-state job) to qualify. Other states and schools aren't as flexible in making exceptions. The rules and laws differ a lot from state to state, so it's always a good idea to check with the specific school.

Does anyone know how far VMCVM typically goes down their OOS waitlist??