waitlist news from columbia, cornell, nyu, or mount sinai??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerseybri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
other than lizard and chi-chi at cornell last week, has anyone on the waitlists at these schools heard anything recently? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi jersey!!

Well, I understand that Mount Sinai will start sending letter between late may/early june. I attended their revisit weekend on late march (I'm wait-listed,though). However, that was for the minority students that were either "accepted or are highly attractive in the wait list" (according to one of the deans). Although, I'm wondering because many of the students invited were not minority.
As for Cornell (also wait-list) the assistant dean let my pre-med advisor know that my likelyhood of getting in is small b/c I'm actually waiting for the spots of other minority students that may drop. I guess that for the overall non-minority wait-listed pool there is a much better chance of being accepted...hopefully this information helps.

Hi Pedro. So Cornell will tell your advisor where you stand? I think Cornell accepted a lot of minority students early. My hostess' roommate was very active in SNMA and she said that by the time I interviewed (late Jan) they had already accepted 50 minority students. Considering they only have 100 total spots, I could see why there is so little chance. :( However, I have two good friends who are minorities and dropped their Cornell acceptances (probably a few weeks ago). Do you know if the class is full now?

QUOTE]Originally posted by pedronavaja:
•Hi jersey!!

Well, I understand that Mount Sinai will start sending letter between late may/early june. I attended their revisit weekend on late march (I'm wait-listed,though). However, that was for the minority students that were either "accepted or are highly attractive in the wait list" (according to one of the deans). Although, I'm wondering because many of the students invited were not minority.
As for Cornell (also wait-list) the assistant dean let my pre-med advisor know that my likelyhood of getting in is small b/c I'm actually waiting for the spots of other minority students that may drop. I guess that for the overall non-minority wait-listed pool there is a much better chance of being accepted...hopefully this information helps.•[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Christiangirl!!
I have seen many of your posts...you are quite involved in these forums. Anyways, if those numbers are true (50 minority students) that's very impressive. However, they claim that a typical year consists of roughly 10-17% minority students. If about 50 students got accepted, that means that potentially they could have 50% of their first year being minority...very interesting.
About the class being filled, I would assume it is. Well, I really don't know what they are thinking considering they offered me an interview in mid november and i scheduled it for mid december. Ms. Liliana Montano told my premed advisor that if I do get in, it would be very late in the game...maybe by then I will have lost interest. My second choice is Mount Sinai (very close second) and if they take me I'll be more than happy to go there. If not, then I'll be also happy to attend Einstein. As you can see, I'm bound to stay in new york city either way ;)

Hey pedro!! Yeah, I really like this forum. I think people are kinder than on TPR primarily because they have to sign their name and if they were a jerk, then when they needed advice people would treat them the same. :) Anyway, as far as taking 50, it is possible. If you look at Columbia's website, last year they took 64 minority students and only 16 matriculated. Just as it is for the majority students with most who are accepted at other top 10s, it is true with minority students as well. However, with even a smaller number of minority applicants, the number who matriculate will be even less. :) Good luck with Sinai!! :)

thanks for the advice on sinai and cornell, pedro. i guess all we can do is keep waiting... best of luck!!

Yes jersey!! lets sit tight and wait. The way I see is that we already did everything that was in our hands to make them want us... The rest is up them.

Christian girl!!

thank you for the good wishes. I really clicked with the students at Mount Sinai :)