Waitlist Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaynecarrick

Previously r***g**a
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, if you get an acceptance to one school off the WL, will the other schools where you're currently on the WL know about it? Or would they only know if they sent you an offer?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that if one school pulls you off a waitlist they make a courtesy call to the school you're currently accepted at; the purpose is that it gives schools an idea of how their waitlists will move so they can plan their own waitlist offers accordingly. I could be wrong, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that if one school pulls you off a waitlist they make a courtesy call to the school you're currently accepted at; the purpose is that it gives schools an idea of how their waitlists will move so they can plan their own waitlist offers accordingly. I could be wrong, though.

Hmm, makes sense. I guess I was just worried that if I get in somewhere, would negatively affect my chances at another school.

This is true per the AAMC guidelines - http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

I do not believe, however, that other schools where you are waitlisted would know you got pulled from the WL at some other school

Well, turns out my relief was shortlived. Apparently, if you're on the WL and you get accepted elsewhere, they'll know.