Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Waitlist WAITING is torture

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tjackson, Mar 29, 2004.

1. tjackson

tjackson Member
    7+ Year Member

I need a little support. I read this website everyday and it is refreshing to know that I am not the only one going crazy.

BTW: High priorty wl Upstate:scared:

2. camstah

camstah running thru dandelions
    7+ Year Member

believe me, i understand your pain :) two waitlists last year to two cali schools, and no acceptances...it was painful....this year, waiting on USC......it's almost april, but time seems to be creeping by............just hang in there.....you're not alone;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sonicgirl

sonicgirl New Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, I strongly believe that waitlists are some cruel punishment in which to determine which of us will wind up going crazy. You're not alone, and we all just have to hang in there and realize that it will be over soon enough!!!

4. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

And I though I was the only one to endure that. 2 interviews at usc with no luv here. We'll see if the second time on the uci alternate list does the trick.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ashes

Ashes Wound Up

You're not alone!

I'm on a few waitlists myself (no acceptances) and the waiting is just killing me! :)

6. WAITLISTS ARE HELL.

7. traumamonkey

traumamonkey mid-level resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OH YES. and we're all here together.
    if misery loves company than we should all be estatic, right?

good luck to the rest of you out there in this evil land of waitlist purgatory.
    i keep trying to convince myself it is possible to get in off of waitlists (i know lots of people do it) but it is tough to keep in mind while we are living this hell.

hang in there!

8. SaltySqueegee

SaltySqueegee El Rey de Salsa
    10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
  9. canada

canada Member
    7+ Year Member

me too, it's killer. i only got one waitlist and no acceptances!!!!!!!!! all my eggs are in one basket

10. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    only one wlist that i care about. but messing up my plans! i want to just friggin move on already!

11. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

*singing* We're all together. We're all together. And together we shall have alot of fun! *singing*

hmm... anybody else get that quote? Or do they not show Pippi Longstocking on TV anymore?

12. Same situation here

13. canada

canada Member
    7+ Year Member

lucky that you guys are accepted somewhere at least

14. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am 3 for 3 in the waitlist department with no acceptances. I could be really depressed and let it knock me down, but what is meant to happen will. Patience and hope are key. I wish everyone the best of luck! We will make it through! :clap: :clap:

15. DrJ2B did you apply to any back up schools??

Its seems like all your WL schools are top notch.

16. DrJ2B

DrJ2B Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I did not apply to any "back-up schools" if you can call any medical school that. I did not want to stay in NY so I did not apply to my state schools for the most part. Looking back, I should have applied to a least a couple of state schools. In the end, everything will work out. I got 6 interviews and hopefully an acceptance is in my future. :) If not, I will reapply. I want to be a doctor so it is worth another try. :)

17. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    '

did you interview w/ dr. swartzberg by chance?

18. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

4 waitlists, but I dropped one of them. Unfortunately, the waitlists I hold on to aren't the ones that have lots of movement.

19. hope280

hope280 Member
    7+ Year Member

4 waitlists and no acceptances. It is a very odd feeling having absolutely no idea where you will be next Aug.

20. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I drink a lot more because of this exact reason. Although, I can't say that I wouldn't drink as much if I had an acceptance or all rejections either... hmmm... alcoholic??? No, no... never;)

21. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I haven't applied yet, will be doing so for the class starting fall 2005. I am already stressed out; I can't imagine how I'll feel if/when I get put on a wait list:oops:

Adrian

22. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

Is it just me or does anyone else think the 'EMBARRASSED' smile should be replaced. Everytime I see it, I think
    1-- someone taking a deep breath to begin a speech (ie, soapbox)
    2-- BJ :eek:

23. CalBeE

7+ Year Member

THere you go...wouldn't you be EMBARRASSED to give a speech or give BJ in the public??

24. Mr Reddly

Mr Reddly Snowglobe!
    7+ Year Member

give? Only if I changed my name to Mr Rainbow.
    but good point!:clap:

edit: can't spell can I?

25. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I thought it sorta looked like the guy was yelling, that's why I picked it.

26. DrPharaohX

DrPharaohX Free...your...mind...
    10+ Year Member

Waitlists are indeed hell. I'm on one waitlist with no acceptances. To add to my misery, if the waitlist doesn't pull through (God forbid) then I'd have to retake MCAT again to reapply with a better score. This means at least half my summer is sacrificed because I'll be restudying for MCAT again for the third time, acceptance or not, because I won't find out until mid/late June!

Yea. It's not JUST waiting for me. If it was, that'd be better than what I have coming up ahead. Prayer and faith are key to me. I pray for strength for all of us to make it through :)

27. PsychoLulu

PsychoLulu Member
    7+ Year Member

I feel your pain - I'm in the same situation..... :(

The equation from hell: 1 interview (only one so far) + 1 middle ranking on the wait-list at a not-so-top-choice-of-mine school + 1 MCAT score that will be too old to apply with in 2004 if I don't get in = a possible 8 hr date of pain with the April 2004 MCATs (at least it won't be a blind date - I already know how ugly he is...hahahaha....ok, ok, i'm losing it....). :smuggrin:

Being on the waitlist at a medical is THE WORST possible motivator for studying for the MCATs. (Never mind the fact that having to study for the MCATs pretty much prevents one from drowning your sorrow in alcohol until April 17th, 6pm....)

On the bright side: I'm still in the running for a possible interview invite from either Temple or NYMC (both of which interview into April and have told me my app is "still in consideration".....)

28. sharsky

sharsky Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    my situation is not exactly similar to the ones posted here as i'm not even waitlisted anywhere. but i've had 4 interviews and i haven't heard back from any of those schools yet. had my first interview in hawaii in january and hawaii's a non-rolling school, so won't hear from them til mid-may to end of may. had 2nd interview at nymc and not expecting to hear back til mid may. 3rd interview at med college of ohio and i should hear back next week! AAAHHHHH! and 4th interview at temple last week...i believe i was only interviewing for a waitlist spot. my 5th one is with albany next week.
    anyways this waiting really really really sucks and my only hope is to hear back from MCO next week but i might get rejected or waitlisted so i'm gonna have to keep waiting and waiting. my whole life feels like it's on hold...i dunno if i can quit my job...dunno if i can go back to vancouver to see my sister graduate since i dunno if i can quit my job..hehe...dunno if i can have fun and travel this summer...sigh.
    THIS SUCKS!

29. lukeday99

lukeday99 Nooby
    7+ Year Member

Even though I'm accepted, I'm still in waitlist hell as well. Waitlists are the cruel invention of mother****ers who are in the process of mother****ing and want to **** all of us with a ****eating grin on their ugly ****ing adcom faces.
    [​IMG]
    No, no, adcoms, I'm kidding I love you all!

But **** you, and the ****ing ****ity **** horse you rode the **** in on.

Oh, I am ameliorated.

I realize this post is going to be all asterixes, but who the **** cares?

30. felipe5

felipe5 Fingerpickin' Good
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yes my friends, I join you all on the horrid waitlist rollercoaster ride..........i have an acceptance to my state school (of which I'm very thankful for), but I'm waitlisted at my 2 top choices. The waiting game is HORRIBLE, and the insecurity/second guessing myslef/pessimism comes and goes in massive waves for me. Knowing that I'll prolly have to wait until May 15th + until waitlist movement really begins sucks since we have like a month plus..........I hate NOT knowing what the future holds as far as my medschool education:(

here's to the waitlist, and those of us who get drunk to try and forget about it +pissed+

31. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

Just testing to see whether the word **** is asterisked out...

32. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

OMG it is!!!! I thought lukeday did it...:laugh:

33. bewitched1081

bewitched1081 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

dang. you really need some endurance to handle the re-application process. anyway, at least you dont have to wait for your next meal. i know it sounds cliche, but just think about all of the things that you would choose over an acceptance and how they are right there in your arms.

34. st85

st85 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have everyone beat, I have had 8 interviews and am on 6 waitlists, Georgetown, UVA, EVMS, VCU/MCV, Temple, Georgetown, and Tufts and am waiting to hear from Drexel and NYMC. I have absolutely hit rock bottom this week after hearing from VCU/MCV and am completely bummed out. I dont think I am a bad interviewer, my interviewer at Georgetown told me that he thinks I am oging to get in and even told his secretary as I was walking out I think this guy is going to be here next year. It just sucks not having any idea where or if you will be at a med school in August. II am going to start looking into the caribean.

35. avicoo

avicoo SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

36. lukeday99

lukeday99 Nooby
    7+ Year Member

You know what, I bet a whole load of people go through this every year, and we are just this year's fresh crop of nincompoops. We're gonna here from our schools, it just may not be until May. But take heart, April is beginning, so we'rer close.

Oh, and we jump forward, time wise, on Sunday, losing an hour, right? So that's one less hourvyou have to wait! See? It'll be here before we know it.

Enjoy yourself, otherwise. There isn't a statistical chance in hell that one could get eight interviews and not get in somewhere. Dude, you're good to go.

37. lukeday99

lukeday99 Nooby
    7+ Year Member

APRIL FOOLS.........

We're never gonna get in. Might as well send in that 7-11 application now, I here their interview/waitlist/accept procedure is pretty painless.

38. avicoo

avicoo SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

I hate losing an hour!
    +pissed+

39. SticknRudder

SticknRudder Throttle Up Baby!
    7+ Year Member

I like living in AZ because I don't have to deal with time changes.

On a waitlist note - I'm waitlisted at WashU (OMG, if I got in, I would ****ing ****). If I don't get in, I'll be reapplying because there is no way in hell I'm going to Tufts.

40. felipe5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey dude,

i also am waitlist at WashU and would also sh!t a brick if I got in.........good luck to us both man!!!!!! do you know about how the waitlist works there? I had lunch with Dean Walters, and he gave an enigmatic explanation about the waitlist....as in non-ranked list where people chosen off of it somehow (no details there) at random times. geeeeez

41. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    uh yeah... 8 interviews, 7 waitlists, 1 post-interview rejection...

not that im proud or anything.

42. SticknRudder

SticknRudder Throttle Up Baby!
    7+ Year Member

What you know is about what I know. I understand that they waitlist a buttload of people - is that what Dean Walters alluded to?

From what I can tell, it seems to be about demographics; they try to replace a withdrawing acceptee with someone off the waitlist with a similar background.

Other than that - I'm as helpless and in the dark as you.

He didn't say any more than that??

43. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow what did you do to your Karma?

You still have a great shot at getting in. It just seems like the waitlist is your thing.

At least it wasn't 7 post-interview rejections and one waitlist.

44. felipe5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    nope...no details at all. I heard somewhere (prolly here in SDN land) that people get notified by phone, buts thats all I know. Sucks not knowing anything, eh???? Well, lets keep each other posted just in case we hear anything.:horns:

45. canada

canada Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone here know about duke's waitlist? i would be estatic if i got in.....that's my only waitlist, all else is rejections so i'm really hoping for this to come through. I fell in love with the place when I went for the interview.

however, i've read from other threads that duke's wl is firmly ranked unlike washu so there's not much i can do about it. man, i guess this is kind of a useless post but i just gotta get my anxiousness out...

what am i gonna do if i don't get in? blah...don't want to think about it.

Why do adcoms have SOOO many ppl on the waitlists? so cruel i must say. there's NO WAY that even half of the waitlist ppl get in, they should definitely shorten the waitlist and give the "lower" ranked ppl some closure.

46. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Actually, nothing. I think I asked for it, when I prayed to god asking for humbleness. I think he's trying to tell me something.

Anyways, my luck has recently changed. This last Friday I got into my top choice. So, life has gotten a lot more predictable. Thank god/karma/luck/etc.

47. SaltySqueegee

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Oh yeah, and I live in California. That's at least -50 points of karma in the application process... ;)

48. st85

st85 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

congratulations, I am still crapping in my pants.

49. Sharkfan

Sharkfan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My sentiments exactly. What really sucks is when the letter informing you that you have been placed on the waitlist says "you are in the lower third... acceptances from this position are very rare..."

Then why the he$$ have that many people waiting??

50. hope280

hope280 Member
    7+ Year Member

hey sharkfan, which school did you hear that from?