Waitlist WAITING is torture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjackson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a little support. I read this website everyday and it is refreshing to know that I am not the only one going crazy.

BTW: High priorty wl Upstate:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

believe me, i understand your pain :) two waitlists last year to two cali schools, and no acceptances...it was painful....this year, waiting on USC......it's almost april, but time seems to be creeping by............just hang in there.....you're not alone;)

Yes, I strongly believe that waitlists are some cruel punishment in which to determine which of us will wind up going crazy. You're not alone, and we all just have to hang in there and realize that it will be over soon enough!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by camstah
believe me, i understand your pain :) two waitlists last year to two cali schools, and no acceptances...it was painful....this year, waiting on USC......
And I though I was the only one to endure that. 2 interviews at usc with no luv here. We'll see if the second time on the uci alternate list does the trick.

You're not alone!

I'm on a few waitlists myself (no acceptances) and the waiting is just killing me! :)

Originally posted by Eraserhead
WAITLISTS ARE HELL.

OH YES. and we're all here together.
if misery loves company than we should all be estatic, right?

good luck to the rest of you out there in this evil land of waitlist purgatory.
i keep trying to convince myself it is possible to get in off of waitlists (i know lots of people do it) but it is tough to keep in mind while we are living this hell.

hang in there!

me too, it's killer. i only got one waitlist and no acceptances!!!!!!!!! all my eggs are in one basket

only one wlist that i care about. but messing up my plans! i want to just friggin move on already!

Originally posted by noami
OH YES. and we're all here together.
*singing* We're all together. We're all together. And together we shall have alot of fun! *singing*

hmm... anybody else get that quote? Or do they not show Pippi Longstocking on TV anymore?

Originally posted by exmike
only one wlist that i care about. but messing up my plans! i want to just friggin move on already!

Same situation here

lucky that you guys are accepted somewhere at least

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 3 for 3 in the waitlist department with no acceptances. I could be really depressed and let it knock me down, but what is meant to happen will. Patience and hope are key. I wish everyone the best of luck! We will make it through! :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by DrJ2B
I am 3 for 3 in the waitlist department with no acceptances. I could be really depressed and let it knock me down, but what is meant to happen will. Patience and hope are key. I wish everyone the best of luck! We will make it through! :clap: :clap:

DrJ2B did you apply to any back up schools??

Its seems like all your WL schools are top notch.

I did not apply to any "back-up schools" if you can call any medical school that. I did not want to stay in NY so I did not apply to my state schools for the most part. Looking back, I should have applied to a least a couple of state schools. In the end, everything will work out. I got 6 interviews and hopefully an acceptance is in my future. :) If not, I will reapply. I want to be a doctor so it is worth another try. :)

Originally posted by Eraserhead
DrJ2B did you apply to any back up schools??

Its seems like all your WL schools are top notch.
'

did you interview w/ dr. swartzberg by chance?

4 waitlists, but I dropped one of them. Unfortunately, the waitlists I hold on to aren't the ones that have lots of movement.

4 waitlists and no acceptances. It is a very odd feeling having absolutely no idea where you will be next Aug.

Originally posted by hope280
4 waitlists and no acceptances. It is a very odd feeling having absolutely no idea where you will be next Aug.

I drink a lot more because of this exact reason. Although, I can't say that I wouldn't drink as much if I had an acceptance or all rejections either... hmmm... alcoholic??? No, no... never;)

I haven't applied yet, will be doing so for the class starting fall 2005. I am already stressed out; I can't imagine how I'll feel if/when I get put on a wait list:oops:

Adrian

Is it just me or does anyone else think the 'EMBARRASSED' smile should be replaced. Everytime I see it, I think
1-- someone taking a deep breath to begin a speech (ie, soapbox)
2-- BJ :eek:

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Is it just me or does anyone else think the 'embaresed' smile should be replaced. Everytime I see it, I think

THere you go...wouldn't you be EMBARRASSED to give a speech or give BJ in the public??

give? Only if I changed my name to Mr Rainbow.
but good point!:clap:

edit: can't spell can I?

I thought it sorta looked like the guy was yelling, that's why I picked it.

Waitlists are indeed hell. I'm on one waitlist with no acceptances. To add to my misery, if the waitlist doesn't pull through (God forbid) then I'd have to retake MCAT again to reapply with a better score. This means at least half my summer is sacrificed because I'll be restudying for MCAT again for the third time, acceptance or not, because I won't find out until mid/late June!

Yea. It's not JUST waiting for me. If it was, that'd be better than what I have coming up ahead. Prayer and faith are key to me. I pray for strength for all of us to make it through :)

Originally posted by DrPharaohX
Waitlists are indeed hell. I'm on one waitlist with no acceptances. To add to my misery, if the waitlist doesn't pull through (God forbid) then I'd have to retake MCAT again to reapply with a better score. This means at least half my summer is sacrificed because I'll be restudying for MCAT again for the third time, acceptance or not, because I won't find out until mid/late June!

I feel your pain - I'm in the same situation..... :(

The equation from hell: 1 interview (only one so far) + 1 middle ranking on the wait-list at a not-so-top-choice-of-mine school + 1 MCAT score that will be too old to apply with in 2004 if I don't get in = a possible 8 hr date of pain with the April 2004 MCATs (at least it won't be a blind date - I already know how ugly he is...hahahaha....ok, ok, i'm losing it....). :smuggrin:

Being on the waitlist at a medical is THE WORST possible motivator for studying for the MCATs. (Never mind the fact that having to study for the MCATs pretty much prevents one from drowning your sorrow in alcohol until April 17th, 6pm....)

On the bright side: I'm still in the running for a possible interview invite from either Temple or NYMC (both of which interview into April and have told me my app is "still in consideration".....)

my situation is not exactly similar to the ones posted here as i'm not even waitlisted anywhere. but i've had 4 interviews and i haven't heard back from any of those schools yet. had my first interview in hawaii in january and hawaii's a non-rolling school, so won't hear from them til mid-may to end of may. had 2nd interview at nymc and not expecting to hear back til mid may. 3rd interview at med college of ohio and i should hear back next week! AAAHHHHH! and 4th interview at temple last week...i believe i was only interviewing for a waitlist spot. my 5th one is with albany next week.
anyways this waiting really really really sucks and my only hope is to hear back from MCO next week but i might get rejected or waitlisted so i'm gonna have to keep waiting and waiting. my whole life feels like it's on hold...i dunno if i can quit my job...dunno if i can go back to vancouver to see my sister graduate since i dunno if i can quit my job..hehe...dunno if i can have fun and travel this summer...sigh.
THIS SUCKS!

Even though I'm accepted, I'm still in waitlist hell as well. Waitlists are the cruel invention of mother****ers who are in the process of mother****ing and want to **** all of us with a ****eating grin on their ugly ****ing adcom faces.
Wizard.gif

No, no, adcoms, I'm kidding I love you all!

But **** you, and the ****ing ****ity **** horse you rode the **** in on.

Oh, I am ameliorated.

I realize this post is going to be all asterixes, but who the **** cares?

yes my friends, I join you all on the horrid waitlist rollercoaster ride..........i have an acceptance to my state school (of which I'm very thankful for), but I'm waitlisted at my 2 top choices. The waiting game is HORRIBLE, and the insecurity/second guessing myslef/pessimism comes and goes in massive waves for me. Knowing that I'll prolly have to wait until May 15th + until waitlist movement really begins sucks since we have like a month plus..........I hate NOT knowing what the future holds as far as my medschool education:(

here's to the waitlist, and those of us who get drunk to try and forget about it +pissed+

Just testing to see whether the word **** is asterisked out...

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Just testing to see whether the word **** is asterisked out...

OMG it is!!!! I thought lukeday did it...:laugh:

dang. you really need some endurance to handle the re-application process. anyway, at least you dont have to wait for your next meal. i know it sounds cliche, but just think about all of the things that you would choose over an acceptance and how they are right there in your arms.

I have everyone beat, I have had 8 interviews and am on 6 waitlists, Georgetown, UVA, EVMS, VCU/MCV, Temple, Georgetown, and Tufts and am waiting to hear from Drexel and NYMC. I have absolutely hit rock bottom this week after hearing from VCU/MCV and am completely bummed out. I dont think I am a bad interviewer, my interviewer at Georgetown told me that he thinks I am oging to get in and even told his secretary as I was walking out I think this guy is going to be here next year. It just sucks not having any idea where or if you will be at a med school in August. II am going to start looking into the caribean.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Is it just me or does anyone else think the 'EMBARRASSED' smile should be replaced. Everytime I see it, I think

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You know what, I bet a whole load of people go through this every year, and we are just this year's fresh crop of nincompoops. We're gonna here from our schools, it just may not be until May. But take heart, April is beginning, so we'rer close.

Oh, and we jump forward, time wise, on Sunday, losing an hour, right? So that's one less hourvyou have to wait! See? It'll be here before we know it.

Enjoy yourself, otherwise. There isn't a statistical chance in hell that one could get eight interviews and not get in somewhere. Dude, you're good to go.

APRIL FOOLS.........

We're never gonna get in. Might as well send in that 7-11 application now, I here their interview/waitlist/accept procedure is pretty painless.

I hate losing an hour!
+pissed+

I hate losing an hour!

I like living in AZ because I don't have to deal with time changes.

On a waitlist note - I'm waitlisted at WashU (OMG, if I got in, I would ****ing ****). If I don't get in, I'll be reapplying because there is no way in hell I'm going to Tufts.

Originally posted by mcbatuofa
I like living in AZ because I don't have to deal with time changes.

On a waitlist note - I'm waitlisted at WashU (OMG, if I got in, I would ****ing ****). If I don't get in, I'll be reapplying because there is no way in hell I'm going to Tufts.

hey dude,

i also am waitlist at WashU and would also **** a brick if I got in.........good luck to us both man!!!!!! do you know about how the waitlist works there? I had lunch with Dean Walters, and he gave an enigmatic explanation about the waitlist....as in non-ranked list where people chosen off of it somehow (no details there) at random times. geeeeez

Originally posted by st85
I have everyone beat, I have had 8 interviews and am on 6 waitlists...

uh yeah... 8 interviews, 7 waitlists, 1 post-interview rejection...

not that im proud or anything.

i also am waitlist at WashU and would also **** a brick if I got in.........good luck to us both man!!!!!! do you know about how the waitlist works there? I had lunch with Dean Walters, and he gave an enigmatic explanation about the waitlist....as in non-ranked list where people chosen off of it somehow (no details there) at random times. geeeeez

What you know is about what I know. I understand that they waitlist a buttload of people - is that what Dean Walters alluded to?

From what I can tell, it seems to be about demographics; they try to replace a withdrawing acceptee with someone off the waitlist with a similar background.

Other than that - I'm as helpless and in the dark as you.

He didn't say any more than that??

Originally posted by MDTom
uh yeah... 8 interviews, 7 waitlists, 1 post-interview rejection...

not that im proud or anything.

Wow what did you do to your Karma?

You still have a great shot at getting in. It just seems like the waitlist is your thing.

At least it wasn't 7 post-interview rejections and one waitlist.

Originally posted by mcbatuofa

He didn't say any more than that??

nope...no details at all. I heard somewhere (prolly here in SDN land) that people get notified by phone, buts thats all I know. Sucks not knowing anything, eh???? Well, lets keep each other posted just in case we hear anything.:horns:

does anyone here know about duke's waitlist? i would be estatic if i got in.....that's my only waitlist, all else is rejections so i'm really hoping for this to come through. I fell in love with the place when I went for the interview.

however, i've read from other threads that duke's wl is firmly ranked unlike washu so there's not much i can do about it. man, i guess this is kind of a useless post but i just gotta get my anxiousness out...

what am i gonna do if i don't get in? blah...don't want to think about it.

Why do adcoms have SOOO many ppl on the waitlists? so cruel i must say. there's NO WAY that even half of the waitlist ppl get in, they should definitely shorten the waitlist and give the "lower" ranked ppl some closure.

Originally posted by Robz

You still have a great shot at getting in. It just seems like the waitlist is your thing.

At least it wasn't 7 post-interview rejections and one waitlist.

Actually, nothing. I think I asked for it, when I prayed to god asking for humbleness. I think he's trying to tell me something.

Anyways, my luck has recently changed. This last Friday I got into my top choice. So, life has gotten a lot more predictable. Thank god/karma/luck/etc.

Originally posted by Robz

Oh yeah, and I live in California. That's at least -50 points of karma in the application process... ;)

congratulations, I am still crapping in my pants.

Originally posted by canada
Why do adcoms have SOOO many ppl on the waitlists? so cruel i must say. there's NO WAY that even half of the waitlist ppl get in, they should definitely shorten the waitlist and give the "lower" ranked ppl some closure.

My sentiments exactly. What really sucks is when the letter informing you that you have been placed on the waitlist says "you are in the lower third... acceptances from this position are very rare..."

Then why the he$$ have that many people waiting??

hey sharkfan, which school did you hear that from?