Waitlist while Reapplying Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non traditional applicant who graduated in 2012 with a BA in Media Study. I took 2 years off before deciding to apply to medical school, at which point I re-enrolled as an undergraduate Biology major. I completed the prerequisites for the schools I wanted to apply to, and then took another gap year during this current application cycle.

I'm currently on 2 waitlists, and am planning forward to potentially be a reapplicant. Next year, the prerequisite course load at some schools is changing to include Biochemistry, where as before Ochem II was acceptable (I chose Ochem II and did not take Biochem.)

The only time I can take Biochemistry is during my university's first Summer block, which runs pretty much the entire month of May, when the majority of waitlist movement happens. I called my university this morning, and they said that tuition for summer courses is due by May 12th.

I'm going to be paying for Biochemistry out of pocket, and the cost is a little over $800. I would hate to pay for the class by May 12, just to be accepted off a waitlist May 13 (for example) and find out I didn't need to reapply, and thus I didn't need to take Biochem. I do find value in the knowledge I would still gain from the course, but unfortunately the $800 is a higher priority for me.

Would schools be receptive of a letter explaining my situation? I truly don't want to "beg" for a seat, but I don't know my position on the waitlist. I simply want to ask that if I'm going to be offered a spot, could they please offer it before May 12th. Is this a good or bad idea? I don't want to come across as impatient or entitled. I'm just trying to be as efficient with my tight financial situation as I can be.

Also, both waitlists are at state schools with a lot of waitlist movement historically. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Would schools be receptive of a letter explaining my situation? I truly don't want to "beg" for a seat, but I don't know my position on the waitlist. I simply want to ask that if I'm going to be offered a spot, could they please offer it before May 12th. Is this a good or bad idea? I don't want to come across as impatient or entitled. I'm just trying to be as efficient with my tight financial situation as I can be.

Also, both waitlists are at state schools with a lot of waitlist movement historically. Thanks for the advice!
It's a bad idea.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a non traditional applicant who graduated in 2012 with a BA in Media Study. I took 2 years off before deciding to apply to medical school, at which point I re-enrolled as an undergraduate Biology major. I completed the prerequisites for the schools I wanted to apply to, and then took another gap year during this current application cycle.

I'm currently on 2 waitlists, and am planning forward to potentially be a reapplicant. Next year, the prerequisite course load at some schools is changing to include Biochemistry, where as before Ochem II was acceptable (I chose Ochem II and did not take Biochem.)

The only time I can take Biochemistry is during my university's first Summer block, which runs pretty much the entire month of May, when the majority of waitlist movement happens. I called my university this morning, and they said that tuition for summer courses is due by May 12th.

I'm going to be paying for Biochemistry out of pocket, and the cost is a little over $800. I would hate to pay for the class by May 12, just to be accepted off a waitlist May 13 (for example) and find out I didn't need to reapply, and thus I didn't need to take Biochem. I do find value in the knowledge I would still gain from the course, but unfortunately the $800 is a higher priority for me.

Never mind

Members don't see this ad :)

Why didn't you apply to more schools? And that's a terrible idea. Maybe if you end up being a reapplicant again, find out what your weaknesses were. Not enough clinical volunteering? Not enough non-clinical volunteering?

Why didn't you apply to more schools? And that's a terrible idea. Maybe if you end up being a reapplicant again, find out what your weaknesses were. Not enough clinical volunteering? Not enough non-clinical volunteering?
I applied to 13 schools only, simply for financial reasons. My school list was also very poor simply due to ignorance on how this all works. My volunteering should be fine, but I've already been doing more just in case.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will most likely be staying silent then and will just wait to hear from the schools. I was worried it would sound entitled/impatient, and since I am neither of those I don't want to come across as such. ;) Still learning how this all works!

I applied to 13 schools only, simply for financial reasons. My school list was also very poor simply due to ignorance on how this all works. My volunteering should be fine, but I've already been doing more just in case.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will most likely be staying silent then and will just wait to hear from the schools. I was worried it would sound entitled/impatient, and since I am neither of those I don't want to come across as such. ;) Still learning how this all works!
Do not apply right away again. Apparently medical schools do not view favorable applicants who apply right away again.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you elaborate?
I think he/she is twisting @gonnif's advice that people often reapply too early. Schools do not look down on your for reapplying again right away, it's more the fact that there isn't likely to be a significant enough change in one year to change your prospects if you didn't get in the first time. If your problem was something like a poor school list or submitting very late though, this obviously is not an issue.

Reactions: 5 users
A lot of waitlist movement is going to happen before the 12th, so you could always wait until the last minute just in case you get an offer.

That being said, if you do pay for the class and drop before it starts, most schools will refund most, if not all, of your tuition.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
@stickgirl390 keep on the track you're on, you're doing fine. If you take a prerequisite and do well and do something else to fluff your application you'll have something to talk about when the secondaries ask you what changed since you applied last.

I understand your desire to write a letter, but really the content will boil down to "I want to go to your medical school" which will likely not be news to the admissions committee.

Plus, traffic day is 5/1 this year and that's a whole week and a half before your tuition is due. Don't write that tuition check until the last day you possibly can.

If you get accepted, it will be $800 lost in pursuit of something much bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think he/she is twisting @gonnif's advice that people often reapply too early. Schools do not look down on your for reapplying again right away, it's more the fact that there isn't likely to be a significant enough change in one year to change your prospects if you didn't get in the first time. If your problem was something like a poor school list or submitting very late though, this obviously is not an issue.
That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying. My school list was horrendous. I didn't know the MSAR was a thing when I applied the first time. I've also been extremely productive during this application cycle, and I think my next app will be drastically different.

Thanks everyone else for your advice, you've honestly been very helpful. I'm going to wait until May 12th to pay, and go from there. @21Rush12 Your comment the content will boil down to "I want to go to your medical school" is spot on and sound advice, I can't believe I didn't think of that myself!

Many medical schools offer specific pages of advice for reapplicants, something I find few students look into. This would be true whether or not you are a specific reapplicant to that school. Below are links to a few and please note most say the most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon

In addition to links is attached PDF from Ohio State University Medical School on Reapplicants
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ear-wamc-advice-please.1191695/#post-17595427

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
Reapplicants - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
Roughly 20% of the students who apply to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in any given year are reapplicants. Data that we have collected indicate they have a lower acceptance rate than do first time applicants

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Heath
http://www.med.wisc.edu/education/md/admissions/reapplying/31716
(emphasis in the original)
There should be significant improvements in your application before reapplying. This might mean not reapplying the very next year. The most common error made by reapplicants is that they submit their next application too soon.

The Ohio State University College of Medicine
http://medicine.osu.edu/admissions/md/tips-and-advice/pages/index.aspx
To maximize the chances of giving off this perception, you must allow enough time before reapplying. This will undoubtedly be the hardest part of the process, but be patient; if you rush it, you may join the ranks of those who are applying for a third time.

University of Minnesota Medical School
Re-Applicant
Though you can submit a second application immediately after your first application, you may want to consider waiting a year if you feel you need more experiences that help you demonstrate the essential and desired qualities of an ideal medical student.

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Reapplicants — admit
Our Ideal Candidate — admit

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Advice for Re-Applicants | research.vtc.vt.edu

LSU Health Shreveport
Re-Applicants

University of Missouri
Non-Traditional & Re-Applicants | Admissions | University of Missouri School of Medicine

East Carolina University, Brody School of Medicine
whatif

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC)
Common Mistakes Made by Applicants - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Reapplication - College of Osteopathic Medicine - Michigan State University
Yes. This is what I meant

Members don't see this ad :)
Although the purpose of this thread is for a specific question. The answer to that question is you should take the biochem, because you will need it next year anyway. You should be functioning as if you will be a re-applicant.

Now to the question of replication the following year.
The following needs to be assessed prior to making a rational decision of waiting or not waiting.

1. When did you apply? when were you complete?
2. Did you apply to the correct number of schools?
3. Did your school list consist of schools where you met the stat's and EC's for the average acceptee? '
4. Do you have the funds to apply next year to 2o+ schools. and the funds to do travel to interviews.
5. Is there enough time to remedy any issues with competitiveness , ECs, Scores etc.

Although common wisdown @gonnif and some school websites is to wait a year to apply, This advice may not fit you.

If the only problem with your app is the school list and application timing , I would prepare to apply, provided you have the resources.

Is there a large difference in medical school's perception of clinical vs non-clinical volunteering? I've identified lack of volunteerism as a weak point in my own application and have began volunteering regularly at a homeless shelter, but am wondering if it would be worthwhile to begin clinical volunteering simultaneously if unable to find clinical work experience.
Yes. You should have both.

Is there a large difference in medical school's perception of clinical vs non-clinical volunteering? I've identified lack of volunteerism as a weak point in my own application and have began volunteering regularly at a homeless shelter, but am wondering if it would be worthwhile to begin clinical volunteering simultaneously if unable to find clinical work experience.
You should be able to do both, and balance your time well. Maybe 3 hours clinical volunteering, and 3 hours non-clinical volunteering for long period of time. You can always increase your clinical volunteering (or find a clinical job) and non-clinical volunteering over summer. The average applicant has 100-200 clinical volunteering.

@libertyyne Answers to your questions, advice much appreciated.

Applied 30 minutes after AMCAS opened. All secondaries complete by mid July.

How many is the correct number? I applied to 13 MD, 0 DO. I feel very ignorant for not applying DO the first time around, and will 100% be applying DO as well for cycle 2.

3. Did your school list consist of schools where you met the stat's and EC's for the average acceptee? '

Yes, I fit the bill for about 7 of the 13 schools. The main issue is I applied to 9 schools OOS that don't tend to favor OOS. I didn't realize I did this at the time. Of my remaining 4 IS schools, one of them my scores are not competitive enough for. So realistically only 3 schools I applied to were smart choices, and I was interviewed at 2 of them, which is why I think school list was my biggest down fall.

4. Do you have the funds to apply next year to 2o+ schools. and the funds to do travel to interviews.

Yes. My family is helping me out and they've told me not to worry about funds this time around.

5. Is there enough time to remedy any issues with competitiveness , ECs, Scores etc.

ECs yes, scores no. My science GPA is essentially a 4.0, with one B in astronomy. 505 MCAT but I will not have proper time to retake it until August this year, and I think that is waiting too late. Whether or not to retake the MCAT has been a struggle for me. I really think my ECs make up for it, given that I'm not targeting top tier schools. I'm not picky at all about which school I go to, so I'll apply where my scores fit.

Advice is much appreciated!

@libertyyne Answers to your questions, advice much appreciated.

Applied 30 minutes after AMCAS opened. All secondaries complete by mid July.

How many is the correct number? I applied to 13 MD, 0 DO. I feel very ignorant for not applying DO the first time around, and will 100% be applying DO as well for cycle 2.

Yes, I fit the bill for about 7 of the 13 schools. The main issue is I applied to 9 schools OOS that don't tend to favor OOS. I didn't realize I did this at the time. Of my remaining 4 IS schools, one of them my scores are not competitive enough for. So realistically only 3 schools I applied to were smart choices, and I was interviewed at 2 of them, which is why I think school list was my biggest down fall.

Yes. My family is helping me out and they've told me not to worry about funds this time around.

ECs yes, scores no. My science GPA is essentially a 4.0, with one B in astronomy. 505 MCAT but I will not have proper time to retake it until August this year, and I think that is waiting too late. Whether or not to retake the MCAT has been a struggle for me. I really think my ECs make up for it, given that I'm not targeting top tier schools. I'm not picky at all about which school I go to, so I'll apply where my scores fit.

Advice is much appreciated!
What is your state of residence?

What is your actual gpa?

I do think your school list was a bit of an issue, However, your MCAT is also going cause some grief.

I do think a WAMC thread with your actual school list and EC's would be good, that being said I can give you a school list here if you would prefer.

Yeah, don't do this. Even if you can't get your tuition money back (which should be at least partially refunded depending on when in the class it is), the $800 is less than you'd spend to reapply.

]What is your state of residence?

GA

What is your actual gpa?

cGPA 3.81 sGPA 3.88 All As with a B in astronomy, world civilization, and digital programming.

I do think a WAMC thread with your actual school list and EC's would be good, that being said I can give you a school list here if you would prefer.

I made a WAMC and no one responded. If you could help me out here since this thread already has attention, I'd appreciate it.

Do you want my school list and ECs, or should we make this a private message?

@libertyyne I also want to add that I'm not opposed to taking the MCAT again, I just don't want to miss out on a cycle when I feel my school list was the bigger issue. As I said, I wouldn't be ready to take the MCAT again until August or later.

]What is your state of residence?

GA

What is your actual gpa?

cGPA 3.81 sGPA 3.88 All As with a B in astronomy, world civilization, and digital programming.

I made a WAMC and no one responded. If you could help me out here since this thread already has attention, I'd appreciate it.

Do you want my school list and ECs, or should we make this a private message?
Link the WAMC thread.

How? I made it months ago I'm not sure how to find it.

Scroll to the top of the page, click your username, in the drop down menu click 'your content.' there should be a page of everything you have posted on SDN. Then it should be easy to find your thread. Good luck with your apps!!!

Do not apply right away again. Apparently medical schools do not view favorable applicants who apply right away again.

Hogwash. Maybe stop giving advice for a while, yeah?

A lot of waitlist movement is going to happen before the 12th, so you could always wait until the last minute just in case you get an offer.

That being said, if you do pay for the class and drop before it starts, most schools will refund most, if not all, of your tuition.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is correct. There's a lot of shuffle going on now. Do either of the schools have a ranked waitlist? You may want to call and see if they do and if they notify applicants on where they may stand. I remember a few folks from my 'SDN Class Year' finding out this way. It helps you regroup. If you're at the bottom of the list, you'll know that it's wise to reapply.

This is correct. There's a lot of shuffle going on now. Do either of the schools have a ranked waitlist? You may want to call and see if they do and if they notify applicants on where they may stand. I remember a few folks from my 'SDN Class Year' finding out this way. It helps you regroup. If you're at the bottom of the list, you'll know that it's wise to reapply.
Gonnif did point out what I was trying to say. If OP decides to apply to the same schools, it wouldn't be beneficial. Different schools maybe?

Gonnif did point out what I was trying to say. If OP decides to apply to the same schools, it wouldn't be beneficial. Different schools maybe?

The idea is that the reapplication cycle should be stronger than the first cycle in some way. Taking a year gap between the two helps but if the application cycle year was incredibly productive and you applied late (like in October), applying right away early in June in the following cycle would be fine.

In any case, it's usually much preferable to apply and get accepted in one cycle. Strong applicants who have to reapply make adcoms wonder why they didn't get in the first time and what went wrong.

Some of the OP's schools weren't the best choices, but reapplying to a few of the same schools, especially those that offered interviews, is not a bad idea provided that your application has improved. Half of the schools picked represented a donation to the admissions office since they have regions or missions.

I do think that the OP would benefit from retaking the MCAT. I'm not great at the new exams, but a 505 is roughly a 28, which is low for MD schools to begin with. It would have been an old lizzy M score of about 66.

OP would be wise to add DO schools to the list.

@ridethecliche One of the schools has a ranked waitlist, but will not tell you where you rank. The other schools simply said they do not offer additional information, just that I'm on the alternate list.

@Turkishking Im going to do a mix of schools I already applied to and new schools.

@ridethecliche One of the schools has a ranked waitlist, but will not tell you where you rank. The other schools simply said they do not offer additional information, just that I'm on the alternate list.

@Turkishking Im going to do a mix of schools I already applied to and new schools.
I second retaking MCAT. but if OP does worse, it's not going to look so good.

I second retaking MCAT. but if OP does worse, it's not going to look so good.
I wouldn't retake it until my practice exams are showing consistent, significantly higher scores. Which is why I know I wouldn't be ready until August at the soonest.

I wouldn't retake it until my practice exams are showing consistent, significantly higher scores. Which is why I know I wouldn't be ready until August at the soonest.
What was your GPA?

I agree, don't do that. I can actually see it backfiring and them rejecting you just because of an email like that so you get the decision you wanted before May 12.

I delayed my application by a year or so because of my MCAT (and then some life happens ish). It sounds like you've been using your time away from school pretty well, so that's good.

A strong MCAT would also add strength to your post bacc grades, especially if you took them at a school ranked lower than your undergrad school.

OP I think applying to a mix of MD and DO schools the next cycle will be better.
A mix of MD and DO would have been good this cycle! lol I will deff be doing both next cycle. Hopefully none of this will matter and I'll make it off one of my waitlists!

Link the WAMC thread.
Its linked earlier in the thread, but the content on my original WMAC is the exact same as what I've already said here. What else would you want to know?

Hey so it's really interesting reading your thread because I was making the same sort of decision this time last year.

Disclaimer: take this all with a huge grain of salt because I haven't gotten in yet!

I applied to about 13 schools lateish with maybe half good choices and some meh choices. I had a solid gpa but a 28 MCAT which is similar to yours. I was not on any waitlists though which is a big difference. I pretty much had to decide if I was going to take another year before applying and gamble on an MCAT retake or apply again right away and hope that improving my school list and timing would be enough.

I chose to wait, retake the MCAT in September, and apply the following year (this upcoming cycle). My main reasoning was that I just didn't want to be a third time applicant retaking the MCAT. I wanted to have the next cycle be the cycle finally in my favor. My MCAT retake was well worth it with a huge improvement.

It's a gamble either way. With no retake you gamble being a third time reapplicant. With retake you gamble on minimum improvement. However, if you're interested in going DO and will be totally happy with that option than disregard my story completely and apply again right away next cycle and take the DO acceptance I'm sure you can get. Maybe also an MD just less clear that will work out.
And pm me if there's any other questions or what not you can think of with this situation. I'm rooting for you.
Either way good luck on those waitlists!! I'm sure you can make this happen.

@ScreenName23 Thank you so much for your post! It's so reassuring knowing there is someone out there who knows my struggle. I 100% do not mind DO. Deep down I feel like the right call is to wait a year so I can retake the MCAT, but then it seems like I wasted an application cycle that I could have at least some applications out there. I'm very conflicted between application efficiency and adcom perception. Is it better to wait so you're not applying over and over, or keep applying, all the while making your app stronger, so you don't miss an opportunity?

I'll let you know how this all turns out.

You have anything else going on ? URM/ ORM ?

These are the schools that fit your criteria.

EVMS
Wright
RFU
Cooper
Jefferson
Arizona

Here is a more comprehensive list if I relax the selection criteria.
Michigan State
Wright State University
Cooper Medical School Rowan
Loma Linda
Indiana
West Virginia
Rosalind Franklin Chicago
U of Virginia
Oakland University Beaumont
University of Arizona
George Washington University
University of Arizona College of Medicine
EVMS
Frank H Netter
Medical college Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Oregon Health
Creighton
Penn State
USF
Rush
VCU

You should retake the mcat and wait a year if you cant retake before June. Or apply to DO schools as well. Your state schools are your best bet right now and are probably where you were waitlisted.

Last edited:
Returning to the OP's dilemma about whether or not to take Biochem, even if you decide to reapply this year (2017-2018), you do NOT need to have completed all prereqs BEFORE you apply. Only before you matriculate (which would be Fall 2018).

If you're planning on reapply in June, hold off on taking Biochem in May. You might get off a waitlist and not need it. Otherwise you can just submit your application in June saying that you plan to take Biochem in the coming year (either in Fall17/Spring18/May18) similar to how traditional students submitting their application post-Junior year put down their anticipated coursework for their senior year

As to whether you should reapply this year, if you're okay with DO, you might be fine to reapply this year. @Goro (sdn/admission seer) might be able to give you more insight, but I think many DO schools would love a 3.81cGPA/505 MCAT.

If you're gunning for MD and think that you can improve your MCAT (as in you can identify how you went wrong last time and have a plan to remediate that this time), hold off a year.

@libertyyne Im a Caucasian female, not sure if thats ORM. Thank you so much for the school list!!! And yes, both my waitlists are at state schools.

@deev04 Excellent suggestion to take Biochem in 2018, but unfortunately not an option for me. I'm a high school teacher and this year our last day of school is early May, so I will finish just in time for the university summer courses. Our calendar for next school year goes into mid June, so I won't be free when the Biochem class starts. Great advice though, thank you!

And as I've said before, I will deff be applying DO so I think I'll take your advice and apply again this year with a better MD list and add DO. How many DO schools should I apply to?

Could anyone elaborate on the significance of May 12th?
I'm pretty sure that's just the day she has to put her deposit down for her class, so she wants to know if she will be off the wait list by then.

@deev04 Excellent suggestion to take Biochem in 2018, but unfortunately not an option for me. I'm a high school teacher and this year our last day of school is early May, so I will finish just in time for the university summer courses. Our calendar for next school year goes into mid June, so I won't be free when the Biochem class starts. Great advice though, thank you!

Ah, okay. Would taking Biochem in the Fall or Spring semesters at night be an option? Many, many nontrad students complete their prereqs at night while working full-time. And especially if you took it in the Spring, you wouldn't need to worry about the grade too much since it would be released post-acceptance.

Ah, okay. Would taking Biochem in the Fall or Spring semesters at night be an option? Many, many nontrad students complete their prereqs at night while working full-time. And especially if you took it in the Spring, you wouldn't need to worry about the grade too much since it would be released post-acceptance.
I could, my university just doesn't offer it at night.