Waitlisted at 1st Choice school - What now???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crstabel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am married with kids, rooted in the DC area BIG TIME, and just got my "waitlist" letter from GWU (already rejected from Georgetown). I drew the short straw on interview day - the guy looked just like the Grinch - and we didn't click (I'm pretty outgoing and am a very strong interview, but this guy had me off balance the entire time).

Anyway, otherwise my credentials are pretty good - post-bacc 3.98 (but 3.0 early undergrad) and very strong MCAT scores. I even had stellar references from 3 GWU professors (I did my post-bacc there) and 1 GWUH floor administrator. And I already live in DC... so I am fairly sure the interview was a bust, although I could be wrong.

Maybe I'm in a state of denial, but what are you guys doing to be pro-active about being waitlisted. When is the best time to send letters of interest, and what about letters of support? My family has too much at stake for me to just roll-over and wait, and I really do believe, for many reasons, that GWU and I are a mutually good fit.

What do you guys think?

Christine

Members don't see this ad.

gotta sit tight for now. The waitlist isn't going to move at least until they've reviewed all the applications. I'd hold your fire for later when its closer to the time the waitlist will start moving.

Conflicting information - some websites I've seen recommend an aggressive approach, such as calling interviewers, the dean, etc. right away, and then calling once a week once the list begins to move. Others say, basiclly, it's practically useless, but you can write a letter and/or call when the list begins to move.

Some people say that close to 1/3 of the class can come from the waitlist, other sources say very few will be chosen from the alternate list.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know anyone who has???

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, that sucks. I'm pulling for ya to get into that school.

I have been on the verge of tears all day, hating myself for failing my husband/son by not getting in the one place that wouldn't force my husband to leave his job, my son to give up his friends and our family's life here. But you made me SMILE - thank you!

What about you? What's your story?

If in doubt, send more letters and call more times.

Why not re-apply next year if you don't get in where you want?

If it really is honestly your first choice (heh, see other thread on first choices), it seems like you'd be perfect for a letter of intent. I don't know about all schools, but I know that places like Emory, for instance, if you write a letter basically pledging to attend if they accept you, they'll give you a second consideration (this was the story of my tour guide there). You'll have to ask around for what all goes into an official letter of intent.

I am sure you told the school your story about your family considerations, etc. But in case you didn't, they need to know those things. This is obvious to the point of making me feel dumb just writing it.

Some people schedule appointments with the admissions people to talk to them again. There is no guarantee that will work, but it has worked for people in the past. So consider it an option.

Also, do remember that most of the class will most likely come off the waitlist. Some schools vary and have only a few waitlist openings, but I bet GW has a lot b/c most private schools like it have a lot. When you get into big name private schools, people usually get into several schools. So there is a shuffling of the deck to see where everyone actually goes. So you DID get waitlisted, which at this point is good news. They WILL be pulling a lot of people off the waitlist most likely. So you just have to convince them that you should be one of those people. I think with more rec. letters, a letter of intent, a meeting with someone in admissions, and the full story of your circumstances should warrant an admission [provided everything is good in your app. like you said]. I mean, if I were an adcom I would admit a person in that situation. So good luck, I am sure it will work out!

Did we interview with the same person?

Did he look at the wall while you answered his questions?

Hi there,

I am married with kids, rooted in the DC area BIG TIME, and just got my "waitlist" letter from GWU (already rejected from Georgetown). I drew the short straw on interview day - the guy looked just like the Grinch - and we didn't click (I'm pretty outgoing and am a very strong interview, but this guy had me off balance the entire time).

Anyway, otherwise my credentials are pretty good - post-bacc 3.98 (but 3.0 early undergrad) and very strong MCAT scores. I even had stellar references from 3 GWU professors (I did my post-bacc there) and 1 GWUH floor administrator. And I already live in DC... so I am fairly sure the interview was a bust, although I could be wrong.

Maybe I'm in a state of denial, but what are you guys doing to be pro-active about being waitlisted. When is the best time to send letters of interest, and what about letters of support? My family has too much at stake for me to just roll-over and wait, and I really do believe, for many reasons, that GWU and I are a mutually good fit.

What do you guys think?

Christine

does the school know you're situation? i.e. married w/ kids, completely committed to staying in DC for school and practicing in the area when you graduate? that stuff is important to schools, and can carry some weight in their decisions. i would call and make sure they know how much you want to go to their school.

also, a lot of schools allow you to come back and visit the school if you've been waitlisted...you can show up in a more casual environment, check out a few classes, and talk to some students without the pressure of being on an interview. doing this would also show the school you're interested.

I definitely think it's worth showing some interest. I recommend calling...however, if they tell you flat out, nothing will happen til the waitlist moves, then don't harass them constantly. if they sound receptive to your call, see if you can set up another visit to the school...and if anything comes up that you can add to your application, let them know about that. feel them out and be as aggressive with your interest as they seem receptive to.

exactly!
crstabel--check your PM's. Sent you a message.

does the school know you're situation? i.e. married w/ kids, completely committed to staying in DC for school and practicing in the area when you graduate? that stuff is important to schools, and can carry some weight in their decisions. i would call and make sure they know how much you want to go to their school.

also, a lot of schools allow you to come back and visit the school if you've been waitlisted...you can show up in a more casual environment, check out a few classes, and talk to some students without the pressure of being on an interview. doing this would also show the school you're interested.

I definitely think it's worth showing some interest. I recommend calling...however, if they tell you flat out, nothing will happen til the waitlist moves, then don't harass them constantly. if they sound receptive to your call, see if you can set up another visit to the school...and if anything comes up that you can add to your application, let them know about that. feel them out and be as aggressive with your interest as they seem receptive to.

i just got waitlisted by one of my top choices. i guess my situation's a lot more flexible yet still depressing.

I'm rooted to the DC area too (my husband is law school here). Keep in mind that University of Maryland is also close enough...I got waitlisted at GWU also, but got into UMD thankfully.

good luck!!!

Did we interview with the same person?

Did he look at the wall while you answered his questions?

No, but he berated me for my postion on tort reform-- all I said was that it is needed, but I see both sides of the argument, for and against. He growled "There IS no other side. We need to get rid of all the lawyers. You must have friends who are lawyers! You're husband isn't an attorney is he??" Later, I was recounting a story to demonstrate my ability to connect with patients on their level, and I talked about praying with a patient (I am not religious, but this man, who was dying of AIDS, really needed someone to express his faith with at the time), my eyes watered a little (thinking of this patients tragic life makes me sad) he looked absolutely horrified. His only comment - "Couldn't you have refused to pray with him if you're not religious?".

:( My friend, a hospital admin at GWUH, asked who I interviewed with, and when I told her (without telling her how it went, mind you) she looked horrified. "That man is an arrogant jerk - he rolls over every JACHO protocol in the hospital, and doesn't care what the consequences are for anyone else."

Hopefully no one else will have to put up with him this year, but it certainly wasn't my day. The kid who went in after me looked like his puppy had been run over when he got out. Sad.

CRSTABEL, Did you discuss this situation with the professors from GWU who wrote your recommendations? I'd ask their advice..maybe they know something else they can do to help, although I wouldn't put it that way to them or put them on the spot. I would definitely write a strong letter of intent right away. Make sure to discuss all the ways the school is a great fit, and what you would bring to the mix, not just your desire/need to stay in DC. In addition, I would mention in your letter that you would humbly request an additional interview, as you feel you did not adequately display your strengths that day (DO NOT say anything remotely negative about the interviewer;put the burden on your own performance.) This has occasionally worked for people, and if you are very polite and appropriate I don't believe it will hurt you, but I suspect others on this site may disagree.

I'm rooted to the DC area too (my husband is law school here). Keep in mind that University of Maryland is also close enough...I got waitlisted at GWU also, but got into UMD thankfully.

good luck!!!

I'm a VA resident, so I don't know how good my chances are of getting into MD schools. Too bad VA doesn't have a public med school close by. The one school I could have possibly communted school is VCU, but that is looking grim - haven't heard back after submitting my secondary over 3 months ago. I expect a rejection in a few weeks from them. I do have an inteview at UVA, though, but my husband is an IT executive, and he would basiclly have to kiss his career goodbye for me to go there.

:( Not giving up, though. I know why they refer to this as a "calling"- I have no choice but to forge ahead. My passion for caring for others and fighting the caste system that American healthcare has become is nearly all-consuming (other than loving my son and husband), so I can't quit.

BerkshireDoc -

Yep... I'm not giving up - my peeps here have too much at stake and I owe it to them. Never mind that I really do think GW is a great fit for me, as a non-trad, as someone dedicated to reforming community medicine in a community (DC) that desperately needs healthcare reform.

BerkshireDoc -

Yep... I'm not giving up - my peeps here have too much at stake and I owe it to them. Never mind that I really do think GW is a great fit for me, as a non-trad, as someone dedicated to reforming community medicine in a community (DC) that desperately needs healthcare reform.

You need to make it very clear to them that GW is your number one choice. Do everything you can to let them know that. Don't sit tight. In my experience with them, it's very important for them to know that you'll accept an offer. With good grades and good MCAT scores, a waitlist may have been their way of testing to see if you really want to go to their school. Don't hold back.

DEFINETLY continue to contact/bug/show GWU how much you love them. When I was working at NIH my friend was on the waitlist there and got to know the dean of admissions pretty well and she (forgot her name) encouraged him to keep bugging them to show that he really wanted to go there. And he's an M1 there now. Hope this helps

Write them a letter of intent. Set up a meeting with the dean. Make sure they know you want to go there and only there. Update them often, but not too often! DO NOT CROSS THE LINE INTO BOTHERING THEM. Do not be overly aggressive!!!!!! If you contact them once a week, this will get annoying, especially for a school that handles 11K+ applications. Do make sure they know you and that you want to go there, but don't make them angry.