Medical Waitlisted at 3 schools - What do I do now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I should do right now and am looking for some advice as to how approach this situation.
Here are my stats and ECs:
  • 3.45 cGPA with my last 2 years of courses being 4.0 (with several grad level courses).
    • Prereqs are mostly Bs
    • sGPA is in the 3.2-3.3
  • MCAT #1 was 495 (didn't finish any of the sections) --> MCAT #2 499 1 month after my first one.
    • Final mcat breakdown: 127 123 124 125
  • D1 athlete
  • Published research
  • Was part of 5 different student organizations
  • Tutored student athletes for 3 years
  • Volunteered at the hospital ~50 hours
During this current gap year while waiting for responses from school I worked as a rehabilitation aide (~150 hours) for 2 months then decided to work at a teleradiology clinic as a transcriber/associate for multiple radiologists (~1000 hours). Recently got laid off of the transcribing job because of the COVID 19.

I applied to a total of 10 DO schools and DPM schools. DPM was mainly for the interview experience but I did get a nice offer to one of the schools that I was accepted as a back up.

I had 3 interviews for DO schools and was wait listed at all 3 schools. I'm expecting to not get into these schools and am wondering what I can do if I take another year to reapply.

I'm thinking of doing a post bacc program to bump my GPA with a 2 semesters of 4.0s... I've also read that post bacc programs are basically undergraduate courses. So does it make more sense to save money and just take/retake orgo or take some extra courses like microbiology or more biochemistry or psych to try to get a better foundation for retaking the MCAT?

I think a masters in biomed science is overkill since its CRAZY expensive... If i do a masters I'd be better off doing it through being a Teacher Assistant to get it paid for.

I already wrote out my letter of intent for post bacc but havent submitted an app yet.
I need a better idea of where you applied for DO. It's too bad you didn't want the acceptance to podiatry school if you applied to them, but I guess if you didn't really want to be one... Of course, you never know with 3 WL's if one of them turns into an A.

I don't have a sense of your shadowing hours from the description.

Members don't see this ad.

For shadowing I had 30 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (DO), 200 hours of shadowing a chiropractor, 30 hours of shadowing a physical therapist and about 20 hours shadowing a couple podiatrists.
I havent decided whether to do the podiatry route or give the MCAT and DO another try before I settle on podiatry.
I have to check but if you turn down the acceptance to podiatry school, you may have to disclose that in future applications, even if it's not in podiatry.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.