Waitlisted at all schools interviewed so far...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chongli04us

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I got 5 WL from schools I interviewed earlier in the year.

Obviously very frustrated. What do you guys think my chance of getting in and what is the problem?

Btw, I have 32/3.75, good research and decent shadowing and volunteer.

Members don't see this ad.

If you got the interview stage, then your app is solid. It could be your interviewing skills.

Hi all,

I got 5 WL from schools I interviewed earlier in the year.

Obviously very frustrated. What do you guys think my chance of getting in and what is the problem?

Btw, I have 32/3.75, good research and decent shadowing and volunteer.

Depends on what schools. Lots of schools take folks off the waitlist, other schools never touch the waitlist. Give details, and people can chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the WL schools are: NYMC, Downstate, Georgetown, Buffalo and RWJMS.

I did not feel super confident getting out of interviews, but I also don't think I screwed up and know that it is not a make or break thing. Just feeling really down; it almost seems like they are giving me II just to put me off on WL unless I somehow do exceptional in the interviews.

Most schools have some and many schools have significant waitlist movement. So you aren't out of the running yet--if you have the material for it, send an update/LOI to your schools. Others may know about your specific schools.

If you have any upcoming interviews I would practice your interviewing skills with someone who is experienced at interviewing people (doesn't have to be specifically someone in the medical profession--lots of interview skills are universal).

Reactions: 1 user
I think the thing about interviewing well is that you almost have to be a bit 'go-getter' about it. Being cordial, well-spoken, and knowledgeable is nice, but you really have to make a strong push to sell your own accomplishments and advocate for yourself. I think this is where a lot of people seem to struggle. Others, feel free to counter if you disagree.

I think the thing about interviewing well is that you almost have to be a bit 'go-getter' about it. Being cordial, well-spoken, and knowledgeable is nice, but you really have to make a strong push to sell your own accomplishments and advocate for yourself. I think this is where a lot of people seem to struggle. Others, feel free to counter if you disagree.

I mostly agree but I don't think it's so much a matter of selling as knowing how to present the most salient, interesting information. It's easy to be an educated, literate person but not actually good at packaging information into useful, attractive pieces. I guess this does kind of count as sales...but I think going in with the attitude that "I need to sell myself" isn't as useful as "I need to make sure that what I say is interesting and convincing". People tend to overdo aggression and pushiness when they think about "selling themselves"

Reactions: 2 users
We'd need to see your whole picture app to get a good sense of where you're at pre-interview. You could be correct in that they invited you as a borderline student that they were going to waitlist unless you were superb interviewer. Regarding Buffalo, lots of people get waitlisted there....hell...I was waitlisted there but accepted to way more competitive schools. Around half the students waitlisted eventually get accepted to Buffalo, so there is lots of hope there. No one knows you personally so we can't say for sure whether the interview was to blame. I'd practice interviewing either way, since it can't hurt to improve that skill.

Downstate has a lot of Waitlist movement in april/may. Most of the students I met while there said they got off the waitlist.

Marching inexorably through a sales campaign is, by far the most common and most painful way to get onto a waitlist.
A professional, articulate and thoughtful applicant is what we are looking for in an interview. This takes practice. Some people acquire it in their normal day to day interactions. Others don't.

Reactions: 4 users
I understand your frustation. Try not to count yourself out before the schools actually do! Send updates and strong thoughtful letters of interest!

Your MCAT might be on the low side. They may be making offers to the 3.7/37 crowd with the hopes of snagging some of them but when those stars go off to other schools then the schools that have waitlisted you will be thankful that they have you to fill a spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Strongly concur with my learned colleague (and with gyngyn). My first thought upon reading your post, OP, is that your interview skills might be the problem.

Patience is a virtue!

In the worst-case scenario, contact the Deans at schools you tet rejected from psot-interview for feedback (not advice).

Your MCAT might be on the low side. They may be making offers to the 3.7/37 crowd with the hopes of snagging some of them but when those stars go off to other schools then the schools that have waitlisted you will be thankful that they have you to fill a spot.

I had 7 wait lists before my first acceptance. This also seemed to be not an uncommon occurrence among my classmates. Hang in there. It'll make that first acceptance that much better.

Reactions: 2 users
When it got to the end, all of my interviewers asked me how they should "sell" me to the rest of the adcom. So in that sense, it was helpful to have some concise points about my strengths or uniqueness, but I didn't really go into this until they asked for it. I just made sure to be as thoughtful as possible in my responses - basically showing that I had thought a lot about different sides to the heathcare debate, or some ethical scenario they pointed out, or just taking a position (in a professional way) on some issue that came up that I was passionate about. It seemed to be helpful.

Don't worry, you'll get in off at least one of those wait lists. No sense worrying about the past now unless you have other interviews coming up.

Hey guys,

Thank you for all of your advices and encouragements. I have 4-5 more interviews coming up so I just wanted to get some suggestions and work on my weaknesses.
I think selling yourself and being thoughtful are things that I still need to work on. I should also try to let the past be past haha. Just can't wait to get my first acceptance and make barn fire with all my Kaplan books lol.

GL to all of you; hope that you get into schools that you like!

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Hopefully we'll get off these wait lists. Trying to space out my update/interest letters to keep me in the running.