waitlisted at one school...should I go thru app process again this year or...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by labrat, Jun 9, 2002.

1. labrat

labrat Member

wait until next year? I have posted a little of my story before, but I now have feedback (via a telephone conversation with an adcom member)from my state school which rejected me pre-interview. Please tell me what you think. Here's my history.
    I am 31 working in a medical field (CLS/MT) for the last 4 years. 29O MCAT (11V 8PS 10B). 3.6 GPA with an upward trend. I am currently waitlisted at the only school which granted me an interview, with no idea where on the waiting list I am. I had a phone interview with an adcom member at my state school (which rejected me)who said I was very close to getting an interview, but two things held me back.. One was the 8 in PS on the MCAT. The other was that the adcom committee, while recognizing my work in a medical field, did not feel that I had enough direct physician contact, even though I have a fair amount of patient contact. This sentiment was echoed by my interviewer at the school where I am waitlisted. She also stated that being out of school for 4 years hurts my app too. I have several possible plans to fix these problems, but my age is making me nervous, and I really don't want to wait two years to get my app improved enough to fix the problems! Here's my possible plans:

1. Even though waitlisted, try to apply again right away, but apply to more/different schools, and include shadowing physicians (which I have done recently) in my ECs.

2. Do #1 and try to improve my MCAT in august. This won't work well for me though, because I am currently working 40 to 50+ hours a week, with no hope of getting extra study time.

3. Wait til next April, allowing me ample time to increase my MCAT, take a class or two, and add more shadowing to improve my app.

I know #3 sounds like my best hope, but I really don't want to wait another 2 years to start medschool, especially because of my age. If only I can get off the waitlist!! Any advice you may have will be very welcome. Thanks! :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bradleyp

Bradleyp Senior Member

If i were in your situation and I was last year I would go ahead and put in another application. Unless you can't do without the money at this point. The problem with wailtists is if you don't get accepted you really don't have much time in between to build your credentials so you want every advantage you can get, i.e. early application. I sent mine in July last year and never got accepted off the waitlist.

4. labrat

labrat Member

Bradleyp,

Did you apply to any of the same schools? I really want to go to my state school, but based on the feedback I got, they really want me to improve my MCAT. I don't feel there's sufficient time to improve anything on my app at this point, so I would essentially be sending the same thing over if I try again this year, with the exception of having a little more shadowing experience. I don't think that will be enough, however. You said you were waitlisted and didn't get off the waitlist but applied again right away. What did you change in your app that made a difference for you the next time, other than applying earlier?

5. Bradleyp

Bradleyp Senior Member

I figured if I am interviewing with a bunch of PhDs, then I should do some research. I also took Biochem and Patho.

They were state schools, but this all depends on the state. I don't see why they want you to retake when 29 isn't far off average accepted MCATs for most state schools. 3.6 is also a pretty good GPA.

I would probably arrange a meeting with the dean of admissions to see what you can do in the mean time or what specifically you need to work on (this at least puts your name in for next year).

6. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I agree with the above poster your mcat scores overall are not that bad. I would personally apply to more schools (how many did you apply to?) and cast a wider net and make sure that you continue shadowing or do some volunteer work. I am also a non-trad will be applyig next year and guess what? when I get in (if I get in the first round) I will be 37! so if you have to study for the mcat again and take it next april so what, do it. You are not that old you know, your stats seem decent and if you re-apply you should be fine. Good luck!

7. FunkDoc

FunkDoc Daddy Mack

labrat, personally i think you should suck it up and take the august mcat. i know you have a full time job, but you should make the time. in residency, you'll be working twice as many hours as you do now.

after taking the august mcat, you also should take 1-2 upper level science classes each semester to prove you can still hack it in that environment.

best of luck!

8. hpitup

hpitup Member

Resident [Any Field]
    labrat, I was in the same position 2 years ago. I was 28 with very similar numbers and was on 4 waitlists. I didn't get in, and as hard as it was (because of age) I retook the MCAT the following April. I significantly improved and had my pick of top 20 schools. Don't let age keep you from your dream.

9. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by hpitup:
    <strong>labrat, I was in the same position 2 years ago. I was 28 with very similar numbers and was on 4 waitlists. I didn't get in, and as hard as it was (because of age) I retook the MCAT the following April. I significantly improved and had my pick of top 20 schools. Don't let age keep you from your dream.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">absolutely right. You seem to be short-changing yourself because of your age. Wait out the year and REALLY improve your app. One year will make NO diference in the long run. By the way, I'm over thirty myself (and accepted), so I know of what I speak.

10. Bikini Princess

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Bradleyp:
    <strong>
    They were state schools, but this all depends on the state. I don't see why they want you to retake when 29 isn't far off average accepted MCATs for most state schools. 3.6 is also a pretty good GPA.
    </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree. A 29 is close to average, so the adcom statement about an "8" on PS being unacceptable sounds like a copp-out reply. A lawyer would likely suggest they are discriminating based on your age, or maybe your low-status employment. Supposedly doctors don't like the idea of their subordinates coming into their ranks very much.

I'm not suggesting any of this, just that you might want to talk to a premed advisor about how to strengthen your application.