Waitlisted, but with a full head of hair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason UCSD2000

tabasco is my friend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I'm on the waitlist at UCSF. I've heard that you should send additional letters of rec, cash prizes...etc. to increase your chances of moving up on the waitlist. UCSF's letter gave me my position number on the waitlist. Would additional letters really improve my chances? It doesn't seem like it should work that way if they tell me my position...justa wondering.

PS - last time I shaved my head was in the Army. :D

Members don't see this ad.

you should probably ask ucsfpharmgirl. She'd know better than us. Waitlisting at ucsf is a tough nut to crack though, because i don't think that many people turn 'em down and yeah giving you a # on the waitlist makes it a little stickier when it comes to jumping over people on it. Seems like if you did, and another person found out they could sue the ad com. Dunno.

So are peeps gettin off of waitlists? It hasn't sound that good from the looks of this site.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC still hasnt sent out ranking for waitlisted students nor the acceptance letters from their March interview.

Still waiting.

still haven't heard from the waitlist yet. they say late april or early may. i think my outlook is looking dim for this year. i'm gonna send them another letter this week. any suggestions?? please anything would help. i've already bought pcat books, getting app ready again and am thinking of ideas for my personal statement for 2004 admission. :mad:

My classmate is number 9 on the waitlist as SF, but it looks dim for him. His cousin was #7 last year and unfortunatly the waitlist did not reach her.

Originally posted by riskhk
My classmate is number 9 on the waitlist as SF, but it looks dim for him. His cousin was #7 last year and unfortunatly the waitlist did not reach her.

It's hard to guess based on last year's stats though. Two years ago Ferris only let in a handful from their waitlist, and last year it was something like 40+ students. The applicant pool changes quite a bit from year to year, and you never know who will drop off or choose med school etc. I can see it being tough with a school like SF, but number 9 is pretty good. What's their class size? Wayne State won't even take 1-year-old PCAT scores because they claim that the applicant pool changes so much from one year to another and the percentiles would be different. They wouldn't accept my 2001 PCAT of 96%, so I didn't apply. :D Good luck to anyone who is waitlisted, it's never an easy thing to wait for.

Jd

well ... i may have to give up my spot at UCSF if I can find pre-reqs this summer. half the courses are canceled and (logically) the other half are overfilled. i want to scream -- well, i did scream, actually.

is it worth working part-time and looking all over southern california for another course or should i just re-apply? (of course this question is not directed to those on the waitlist...)

Originally posted by saucy74
well ... i may have to give up my spot at UCSF if I can find pre-reqs this summer. half the courses are canceled and (logically) the other half are overfilled. i want to scream -- well, i did scream, actually.

is it worth working part-time and looking all over southern california for another course or should i just re-apply? (of course this question is not directed to those on the waitlist...)

I am still trying to fulfill a couple of USC pre-reqs and I am also worried. +pissed+ How many pre-reqs do you still need to fulfill?