General Admissions & OTCAS Waitlisted for 2019-2020 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wnnojhoming

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I was wondering if any other applicants have been waitlisted for programs staring 2020, like myself. I heard back from my top choice yesterday and I'm kind of bummed, but at the same time, I don't know how to feel. I wanted to know if your programs have released any information regarding the movement on the waitlist. Not only that, but I was hoping this thread would provide a sense of hope to all who have been waitlisted.

Please feel free to join if you were waitlisted previously and were accepted. I (and anybody else) would love to read your experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
West Coast wait listed me about a week after my interview (in November). Salted me up. Then they offered me admission three days later. In my wait list offer email, they said they do rank their wait list and people shift places as the process goes on. They also said students would get updates to the status of their position/rank. Hunger Games for sure. I assume I had been placed near the top as I never received any ranking. I don't think all universities rank via points like this, though.

I chose acceptance elsewhere, but I think wait listed people, in general, have a pretty decent chance at admissions. Even though the program cohorts are small, most applicants are juggling several possibilities. I have even heard rumors of admission offers just days before the start of class. Don't give up hope!

Also, you may find your own personal university rankings change as you go through interviews. Some schools completely impressed me that I had not given much consideration to, and some that I had high expectations for fell flat (or simply ignored me.)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!! I interviewed at 8 schools last year, and got waitlisted at all 8.

In March I heard from one school in the morning saying that I got accepted off of the waitlist and I was excited! Then later that SAME AFTERNOON I got accepted to my TOP CHOICE!!!! So here I am almost a year later, attening an MSOT program that I love.

Being waitlisted is definitely NOT the end of your journey! Sometimes you just have to wait it out!! Goodluck to everyone

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

In March I heard from one school in the morning saying that I got accepted off of the waitlist and I was excited! Then later that SAME AFTERNOON I got accepted to my TOP CHOICE!!!! So here I am almost a year later, attening an MSOT program that I love.

Being waitlisted is definitely NOT the end of your journey! Sometimes you just have to wait it out!! Goodluck to everyone

This is just what I needed! :) Congrats to you. Being waitlisted sure is stressful!

OMG! That's awesome! Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to hear!

West Coast wait listed me about a week after my interview (in November). Salted me up. Then they offered me admission three days later. In my wait list offer email, they said they do rank their wait list and people shift places as the process goes on. They also said students would get updates to the status of their position/rank. Hunger Games for sure. I assume I had been placed near the top as I never received any ranking. I don't think all universities rank via points like this, though.

I chose acceptance elsewhere, but I think wait listed people, in general, have a pretty decent chance at admissions. Even though the program cohorts are small, most applicants are juggling several possibilities. I have even heard rumors of admission offers just days before the start of class. Don't give up hope!

Also, you may find your own personal university rankings change as you go through interviews. Some schools completely impressed me that I had not given much consideration to, and some that I had high expectations for fell flat (or simply ignored me.)

I ask the school that I am waitlisted if they would tell me what my rank is but unfortunately, they will not release any information regarding the waitlist. I have heard many stories where those who have been waitlisted usually do get accepted. I was talking to a current OT student and they said they found out they got accepted a week before school started. At this point, I'm crossing all fingers and toes lol. Thank you though, that's really good to know!

Same! Can I ask what school you are currently waitlisted at?
I'm waitlisted at TWU Houston. Received a rejection from NSU and still waiting to hear back from D'Youville. Considering applying to other schools but I'm not sure. This is my second year applying.

I'm literally in the same boat as you. I'm also waitlisted at TWU Houston. Was Rejected from UTMB, IUPUI, and two other schools. I applied to one other school but I'm also debating if I should apply to others, and this also happens to be my second year applying.

If things don't go as you hope, do you think you will apply again?

I'm waitlisted at TWU Houston. Received a rejection from NSU and still waiting to hear back from D'Youville. Considering applying to other schools but I'm not sure. This is my second year applying.

I’ve heard of a lot of student getting accepted off of the waitlist! It’s pleasing to hear since I’ve been so far waitlisted by three programs so far and I’m still waiting to hear back from two for interviews and one school on a decision from an interview on Friday. I’m staying hopeful though!

Same! It's just, I'm hopeful but it's just a nerve-wracking process lol.

Good luck!!

I’ve heard of a lot of student getting accepted off of the waitlist! It’s pleasing to hear since I’ve been so far waitlisted by three programs so far and I’m still waiting to hear back from two for interviews and one school on a decision from an interview on Friday. I’m staying hopeful though!

Did you apply to NSU’s MOT or OTD? Hoping you get good news from D’Youville!

Did you apply to NSU’s MOT or OTD? Hoping you get good news from D’Youville!
I applied for MOT. I applied last cycle and was denied in March. This year I was a little more optimistic since I was offered a video essay interview, but still got a "we're sorry to inform you...." So. Here's to hoping TWU or D'Youville pan out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm literally in the same boat as you. I'm also waitlisted at TWU Houston. Was Rejected from UTMB, IUPUI, and two other schools. I applied to one other school but I'm also debating if I should apply to others, and this also happens to be my second year applying.

If things don't go as you hope, do you think you will apply again?
I'm not sure? Probably. I have a completely different career currently (that I don't really love) so I've been working really hard to transition into healthcare specifically OT of course. I'll cross that bridge if I get to it....really hoping that I just get in this cycle!

Stay hopeful friends!! The TWU waitlist is moving! I just got accepted to Houston! Literally right after replying to some of y'all.

OMG, that's so exciting! Congratulations! I wish you all the best!

Stay hopeful friends!! The TWU waitlist is moving! I just got accepted to Houston! Literally right after replying to some of y'all.

Definitely don’t give up guys. After being waitlisted to 3 programs I was accepted into another program today

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering if anyone else is on the priority wait list at Chatham and if you’ve heard anything!

Congrats to everybody!
Does anyone know what priority waitlist is vs regular waitlist? I got priority at Dominican Uni in Cali. I am on another thread for them and it seems everyone is accepting their invitations. Just worried.

I also got denied at my top choice hours after I sent an email asking for updates on admission since they had held two interviews already and I submitted my application early. I am not sure if it was because of the email or what not.

For schools that you get waitlisted to, is it recommended to email saying you are interested still if a spot opens up or is it better to leave it alone?

For schools that you get waitlisted to, is it recommended to email saying you are interested still if a spot opens up or is it better to leave it alone?

I don't think it would hurt to email them...I personally did email the school I am waitlisted in and told them I was still interested if a spot opens up.

I don't think its a negative to email them - I think it would show gratitude and interest and that's better than staying completely silent

I agree on not giving up. This is my 2nd cycle of applying to schools and after being waitlisted a few times, I managed to finally get into 2. My grades were not great, but there was an improvement over time.

I will offer this if it helps because I think it helped me:
  • Even after you get waitlisted, email the Admissions dept to ask for tips on strengthening your application
  • If there are any Open Houses, go - if not, maybe try to make an appt to meet with an Admissions officer to go over your application (ask for tips to make you a stronger candidate)
  • If you didn't have enough OT shadowing hours when you 1st submitted your application, you can still get OT shadowing hours and update your application (OTCAS has options to do this - I also emailed the Admissions dept to let them know that I added info to my application)

I say this because: Waitlist is definitely better than full on rejection because you can still work to move yourself off the waitlist (or get bumped up on the waitlist). So while it is still frustrating, don't resign yourself to not getting in. Waitlist still means anything is possible.

Reactions: 6 users
Definitely email them!! Some schools will notify you and ask as well. This happened to me and I told them I was still interested and a week later I got a message saying I was accepted!

Definitely email them!! Some schools will notify you and ask as well. This happened to me and I told them I was still interested and a week later I got a message saying I was accepted!

I've been debating on doing that, what school did you get off of the waitlist for?

Hi everyone! I am waitlisted for Carroll University right now and I went to the open house. The director of admissions told me that he "knows in his heart" that I will get off the waitlist. He also said that I am number 9 and explained that there are 3 spots available, and once you get your acceptance letter you have 10 days to accept/decline, so I'm hoping I will know relatively soon! Anyone else apply to Carroll?

Does anyone know anything about the waitlist process for UW? ><

Stay hopeful everyone! I was placed on an alternate list on Feb. 10th for St. Kate’s MAOT program and just received the call I have been waiting for! I am in! Keep up the positive vibes!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I am waitlisted for Carroll University right now and I went to the open house. The director of admissions told me that he "knows in his heart" that I will get off the waitlist. He also said that I am number 9 and explained that there are 3 spots available, and once you get your acceptance letter you have 10 days to accept/decline, so I'm hoping I will know relatively soon! Anyone else apply to Carroll?

I was accepted to Carroll on 3/16! Good luck to the rest of you who were waitlisted, there's hope! :)

Hi everyone! I am currently waitlisted at Elmhurst College (top 25) and University of Illinois at Chicago (31). I was wondering if anyone was taking off their name for the waitlist at either of these places or are not accepting their spot? Also, if anyone knew how the waitlist process worked at these universities?:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk