Mar 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

After applying to three of my top options, I have just been notified that I have in fact been waitlisted at all three schools. I have a 26T MCAT and around a 3.8 GPA. What do you think I should do and what are my chances of getting in to at least one of these schools? All three schools are mid-level medical schools.

Thanks!

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
If they interviewed you, there must be something about your application that moderates your low MCAT score. Did you do a great job on the interviews, or were you nervous, not coming across as well as you'd hoped? Are they schools that will tell you where you are on the waitlist? Have you sent in Letters of Interest? Do you have any acceptances?

Mar 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I did outstanding for all three interviews. I also have a lot of solid and very unique hobbies/activities. I also did research for a year and volunteered several places while working since I've been in school. No acceptances yet, just three waitlists at all three schools I applied.

Advice anyone?

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did outstanding for all three interviews. I also have a lot of solid and very unique hobbies/activities. I also did research for a year and volunteered several places while working since I've been in school. No acceptances yet, just three waitlists at all three schools I applied.

Advice anyone?
3 waitlist means 1 acceptance usually....:)

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Did you try calling to see where you are on the lists? Some schools have a ranked list and are willing to tell you your spot. Others are willing to tell you if you're in the top, middle, or bottom third. Some tell you nothing.

A letter of interest is unlikely to hurt you unless schools specifiy they don't want any supplemental materials. Such a letter starts with how much you enjoyed the interview, why you think that school is perfect for you, and closes with how you look forward to receiving a letter of acceptance. If there are any updates in grades or activities you can include that in the middle, but the letter should not exceed one page. Address it to the Admissions Committee or Dean of Admissions.

Mar 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you try calling to see where you are on the lists? Some schools have a ranked list and are willing to tell you your spot. Others are willing to tell you if you're in the top, middle, or bottom third. Some tell you nothing.

A letter of interest is unlikely to hurt you unless schools specifiy they don't want any supplemental materials. Such a letter starts with how much you enjoyed the interview, why you think that school is perfect for you, and closes with how you look forward to receiving a letter of acceptance. If there are any updates in grades or activities you can include that in the middle, but the letter should not exceed one page. Address it to the Admissions Committee or Dean of Admissions.

Yes and no. I have received information saying that all three schools will not have a ranking avaliable until mid-April to early May, I assume when seats slowly become avaliable.

Where is a good place to check about whether or not a school would encourage or discourage any additional materials?

Thanks again everyone for any advice!

Oct 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

After applying to three of my top options, I have just been notified that I have in fact been waitlisted at all three schools. I have a 26T MCAT and around a 3.8 GPA. What do you think I should do and what are my chances of getting in to at least one of these schools? All three schools are mid-level medical schools.

Thanks!
I think that if you managed to re-take the MCAT and get at least 2-3 points higher overall, then you would have your pick of schools in the next round. If I were you, I would start planning to retake the MCAT by May and re-apply as soon as the next application cycle starts just in case none of the waitlists change to acceptances. The MCAT is clearly your weakest part of the application, so address this issue if you have to re-apply.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Where is a good place to check about whether or not a school would encourage or discourage any additional materials?
Check the website, or the Secondary instructions, or call the admissions office and ask.

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student

You definitely want to send this letter, and include not only why the school is perfect for you, but what you realized during your interview day that you will be able to uniquely contribute to the class/school. Address it to the Dean of Admissions, and send it around May 1, as waitlists start opening up May 15. I would send it UPS or Fed Ex so it's separate from the general mail, but not sure how much that matters.

Also, for the school that is your top choice, make it a "letter of intent", saying that if given the opportunity, you would choose to attend that school over any other school you have been accepted to. Finally, I would send a brief follow up letter/email every month until school actually starts. This might seem like overkill, but why not do absolutely everything possible to let them know your continued interest? At least you will know you did everything you could do.

I think the single thing you could do to most icrease your chances of getting off a wait list would be to study like hell and retake the MCAT in May and improve your score. Not sure if it would get automatically reported to the schools, but that would be a great thing to include in an update letter! Good luck.

Nov 12, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hi,
so i am applying this upcoming cycle, with similar stats as you, 28S MCAT and 3.86sGPA, great ECs, research publication and such..

i was surprised when you said you only applied to 3 schools and no rejection thus far and they are all mid-tier schools, this definitely gives me some hopes in the upcoming round.

Mar 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Usually it pretty good....70% or so

also depends where you are on the waitlist.

As I mentioned before, none of the three schools have yet ranked the waitlist. Also, as far as the latest rankings go, the three I applied to around ranked 56, 59, and 90 in the country...I am in-state for the two of the schools...

Does this increase/decrease chances of getting in with one acceptance from being waitlisted from three places?

Thanks again for any advice!

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As I mentioned before, none of the three schools have yet ranked the waitlist. Also, as far as the latest rankings go, the three I applied to around ranked 56, 59, and 90 in the country...I am in-state for the two of the schools...

Does this increase/decrease chances of getting in with one acceptance from being waitlisted from three places?

Thanks again for any advice!
I think instate will be the best bet....I would go and visit the schools and see if I could "talk" my way in.....

let them know how much you want to come to their school, etc.

Everyone in admissions knew me on a first name basis....

I think you will have a pretty good chance...really hard to say for sure though. Alot of factors have to play out.....:luck:

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi,
so i am applying this upcoming cycle, with similar stats as you, 28S MCAT and 3.86sGPA, great ECs, research publication and such..

i was surprised when you said you only applied to 3 schools and no rejection thus far and they are all mid-tier schools, this definitely gives me some hopes in the upcoming round.
Yeah, upper 20's on the MCAT can still get you into MD if the rest of the app is above average to strong.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Out of curiosity, did u apply to only 3 schools or I'm I misreading ur post?

anna01106

7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
letters of interest/updates never hurt. worst case scenario is that they never read it, or they do and ignore it.

are you currently working? something from your boss or supervisor might be helpful? i have a friend who was waitlisted at a school that specifically requested that students do not send LOIs or updates. so her boss just directly called the director of admissions and talked about her. it didn't seem out of blue as he is a practicing physician and was just calling to talk about a prospective student. not sure if that's overkill, but bottom line is that it never hurts.

Mar 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
letters of interest/updates never hurt. worst case scenario is that they never read it, or they do and ignore it.

are you currently working? something from your boss or supervisor might be helpful? i have a friend who was waitlisted at a school that specifically requested that students do not send LOIs or updates. so her boss just directly called the director of admissions and talked about her. it didn't seem out of blue as he is a practicing physician and was just calling to talk about a prospective student. not sure if that's overkill, but bottom line is that it never hurts.
I was able to send some letters of interest to all three schools...Does anyone really know when the hot spot window for medical schools to start giving seats to the waitlist???

Thanks again for any info!

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
I was able to send some letters of interest to all three schools...Does anyone really know when the hot spot window for medical schools to start giving seats to the waitlist???
The last half of May to the middle of June is the period with the greatest activity, but there continues to be a low rate of creep through mid August, when most med schools start classes.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I am in your position at one school. Although my mcat score sucked, the rest of my app is amazing (I only use that word because my two interviewers at this school did). The interviews went very well for me and one of my interviewers even said that he would recommend me for admission. The problem is, I am sure when everyone else of the admissions committee saw my mcat score, they were concerned which resulted in my waitlist even though I'm sure my interviewers fought for me. Basically I said all this to point out the fact that it may have not been your interviewing skills that got you waitlisted. You could have had an excellent interview and still received this outcome due to the fact that your interviewer is not the only one voting on your fate. As others have said, the letters of interest are a great idea. I also agree with the person who said, make sure people know you on a first-name basis. Don't be annoying, but find a way in which you can make people know your name. Good luck.

albertarenee

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2008
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I am in your position at one school. Although my mcat score sucked, the rest of my app is amazing (I only use that word because my two interviewers at this school did). The interviews went very well for me and one of my interviewers even said that he would recommend me for admission. The problem is, I am sure when everyone else of the admissions committee saw my mcat score, they were concerned which resulted in my waitlist even though I'm sure my interviewers fought for me. Basically I said all this to point out the fact that it may have not been your interviewing skills that got you waitlisted. You could have had an excellent interview and still received this outcome due to the fact that your interviewer is not the only one voting on your fate. As others have said, the letters of interest are a great idea. I also agree with the person who said, make sure people know you on a first-name basis. Don't be annoying, but find a way in which you can make people know your name. Good luck.
this is the story of my life!! in the same boat! i have also heard letters of interest that don't sound desperate but show your sincere interest in their school can only help you.... good luck with everything, stay strong, i know it's tough, but keep your chin up!!

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
this is the story of my life!! in the same boat! i have also heard letters of interest that don't sound desperate but show your sincere interest in their school can only help you.... good luck with everything, stay strong, i know it's tough, but keep your chin up!!
Yeah thanks a lot. Good luck to you too. This is my #1 school but for me, it's all in God's hands so I'm convinced I will get it. Considering this school tends to have a lot of waitlist movement doesn't hurt either.

Mar 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah thanks a lot. Good luck to you too. This is my #1 school but for me, it's all in God's hands so I'm convinced I will get it. Considering this school tends to have a lot of waitlist movement doesn't hurt either.
My thoughts exactly!! ;)

Anyone have any positive stories about getting waitlisted at like 3 places then finally getting in???