1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Waitlisted...now what?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rachmoninov3, Mar 12, 2007.

1. rachmoninov3

rachmoninov3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My plans thus far are:

1. Pray
    2. Make certain to pull the 4.0 this semester
    3. Talk with the two MD's who wrote my letters of rec. and if they know of anything else that can but done.
    4. Don't call the school to inquire until May as the letter said.
    5. Try and wait patiently for May or even later.

I already sent an update letter/letter of intent with my fall grades, do I send another one? What goes into it?

Any other ideas for getting off of waitlists?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Is it possible to arrange any more clinical experiences or shadowing? I would if I were you. I heard hospice care experiences are money.

I also think that adcoms would appreciate the fact that you could demonstrate to them that you didn't just sit on your hands-you kicked it up a notch. I'm on three waitlists right now, and I plan on switching depts in the hospital I work in, and trying to hook up some extra volunteer hours.

But if you're still in school, I realize this could be tough to do.

3. Stolenspatulas

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    screw that. at this point they'll realize you're doing it just b/c they're "money"

a few more volunteer hours won't help, IMO.

4. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If that school is your first choice, make sure that you let them know that's the case.
    Additional LOR's may help if they are SIGNIFICANT and will tell them something different about you.
    If you are doing any clinical work, simply continue it. There is no need to drastically change it to impress ADCOMMs.
    Find out how often the wait list in your school moves. For example, Florida schools move quickly and people have a good chance on those lists.
    Keep in touch with the admissions office, letting them know any significant awards or grades you have earned. However don't become a burden and drive them crazy making them think "oh this person again..."
    Have patience.
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mrs.smith

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry to hear this. I was pulling for you this round. Did you hear anything back from Colorado or other schools?

I'm not sure any of this will make a difference for UNM because they've already ranked their alternates, haven't they?

6. OP
    OP
    rachmoninov3

rachmoninov3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Negative from CO, so UNM is my only hope. How about you, did you get in anywhere else?

7. mrs.smith

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Waiting on UCSF & Colorado decisions and I have another interview scheduled for April (late!) that I will cancel if I get in somewhere before then.

Worried, I'll be reapplying.