Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Waitlisted? What do they do with your application

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by oldman, Mar 19, 2002.

1. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    If you are waitlisted, do they continue to review your file? Or are you given an acceptance as soon as there is a spot open??

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator

Resident [Any Field]
    That depends on if you're ranked or not. If you're ranked, they're not going to continue with any further review, BUT if you're not ranked, then they'll review your app when a spot opens up (or at least that's my understanding).

4. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ThingAMaJig:
    <strong>That depends on if you're ranked or not. If you're ranked, they're not going to continue with any further review, BUT if you're not ranked, then they'll review your app when a spot opens up (or at least that's my understanding).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">so if they review the application, could there be a chance they'll suddenly decide to reject you?

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member

As I understand it, if a waitlist is unranked and a spot opens up, all the applications are reviewed to try to find an applicant that will fill the same niche that the person who withdrew occupied. So no, you're not likely to suddenly be rejected.

6. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SMW:
    <strong>As I understand it, if a waitlist is unranked and a spot opens up, all the applications are reviewed to try to find an applicant that will fill the same niche that the person who withdrew occupied. So no, you're not likely to suddenly be rejected.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ok, so if there is no ranking. they just look at the pile of applicants and see who is most deserving of a spot.