Waitlistees and Financial Aid/ Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liv2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am concerned that I am leaving it too late to sort out loans for medical school. I filled out FAFSA back in February, but have not done anything else. Do we only find out about our financial aid award package once we are accepted somewhere? What should we be doing towards scholarships/ private loans, considering that we are still waitlisted? Also has anyone filled out the College Scholarship Service (CSS) profile for schools at which they are waitlisted? Any ideas/ advice or websites to look at about financing medical school would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you are way ahead of me. i havent even filled out fafsa yet. even though rxfudd is always on my case about it. i think i will do that today. thanks for the reminder!

i don't think you have anything to worry about. if you filled out the fafsa and designated all your waitlist schools, then when :wink: you get accepted the financial aid office will send you all the info you need, concerning gov't and private loans and school scholarships if applicable. i don't know anything about outside scholarships. some schools require the css, but i don't know what you do about that if waitlisted. i think i'd just wait, then send it in later if you need it, because it's fast to fill out once you've done the fafsa. good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think those of us who are waitlisted should just apply for loans as if we are going to our chosen med schools. Then, even if we don't get in we can cancel the loans and if we do get in all are loan stuff is ready! Alot of student loan programs don't charge for cancelling the loan application.

< :)

You will be fine. You can do one of two things: Designate all of your waitlist schools on the FAFSA and get it in (this will give the fastest turn around if you are accepted) or wait and (re)submit the FAFSA once you here from a school (this will delay things). As long as you act quickly once you get accepted you should be fine. As for loans, I would apply/borrow until you know for sure where you are going. There is no rush on those things and there are usually plenty of funds.