Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Waitlisters Come In and Vent, Kick, and Scream ;-)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by guardian, Jun 19, 2001.

1. guardian

guardian Senior Member

ARGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!! :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    I think PatrickO should be in here, kicking and screaming, if he doesn't... Then I'll do it for him....

AAAIIIIIAAAAAAHHH!!!!EEEEEIIIAAAAAHHHHH!!!KEEEEEYAAAAPHHHHAAAA!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. spacecadet22

spacecadet22 Senior Member

Uggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have been on the Yale Waitlist for 10 weeks!!!!!! They have told me I am on the top of second tier "consider yourself on the bottom of the first" and I keep reading about other people on the second tier getting in and It's my number one choice and people are saying it's a financial aid decision.....UGHHHHHHHH!!!! THis is my first choice people. I don't care what my financial aid package is, I wanna go!!!!
    And I so frustrated with waiting!!!!
    UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
    ok....I feel better now that I got that out.

5. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I'm on three waitlists--with no acceptances!!! My first choice is NYMC--but they're so damn slow!! My boyfriend goes there and i'm dying to get in!!! What can I do at this point???!!!

6. chem01

chem01 Senior Member

I am waiting on MCO and have been for three months now!!!!!!!!!! If anyone has ANY information on their waitlist, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!!

7. nmehta

nmehta Senior Member

AAAAAaaggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

C'mon Tufts, get your butt in gear! Make some decisions!!!

Thanks for letting me vent.

8. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Hey Neel did you get the waitlist sympathy letter from Tufts ;)?

9. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Spacecadet, do you have acceptances elsewhere?

10. spacecadet22

guardian,
    Yeah I have some other acceptances which probably earns me less sympathy. I just gave up Boston U and I'm holding Tulane (I got a scholarship there that made it affordable!)
    but I'm still whining over Yale!!!!

11. Waitlist hopeful

Waitlist hopeful Junior Member

I hear everyone's pain. I also am waiting on three waitlists: UMass, Tufts, and Rochester. Anyone have any info?

Grrr.

12. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I'm only on one waitlist, and losing hope fast that I'll be starting school this fall. Cincinnati claims that they're not ranking their list this year, frustrating me even more. Has anyone heard from them lately????

:confused: :eek: :mad: :(

BTW, thanks for starting this thread. ;)

13. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    is NYU's waitlist EVER going to start moving??? anyone know?

bud

14. nmehta

nmehta Senior Member

Guardian

If you are referring to the letter that basically states, "Don't call us, we'll call you," yes, I received that. The frustrating part is that I know Tufts is slow moving, and they tend to let a lot of people in August, but Meharry starts three weeks before Tufts does!

Aaagggh, the pain, the agony....

I have yet to hear of anyone being pulled of the Tufts list yet.

15. fastjoe

fastjoe Member

I'm near the top of the Tulane waitlist and i was told i'm in the middle third of the waitlist at MCO. However, I'm from Mass so i'm actually on the seperate out of state waitlist, so who knows? Hope everything works out for everyone. If anyone knows anyone withdrawing their acceptance from Tulane, let me know. I'd be interested to hear. Good Luck

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

Is anyone giving up their NYMed acceptance? If so, I'd be interested in knowing....

18. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Tufts waitlisters-

Did you guys get that FAQ letter? I have to admit that the three pieces of paper crammed into a small envelope made me excited :eek: but...

Let's hope their waitlist picks this year exceeds a third of the class size ;). So now demographics comes into play in selection? I don't think many people from my college applied to Tufts though.

19. BigBadBix

BigBadBix Senior Member

Waitlist hopeful:

Just wanted to let you know that the Rochester waitlist is still moving. I received a call from them on Monday the 18th, after I'd given up all hope of going to school next year. So keep your fingers crossed.

This process is enough to drive a person crazy...good luck to all of you!

20. Waitlist hopeful

Thanks a lot, BigBadBix. That must have been a great phone call to get! Will you be going to Rochester? And also, if you don't mind my asking, were you on "waitlist" or the "alternate list" and is there a difference?

Thanks!

21. Hope88

Hope88 Senior Member

Waitlist hopeful - I am pretty sure that they are on to their "waiting list" now, because that's what I was on and I was accepted over a month ago. Dr. Hansen also told me earlier that the committee is really conservative w/ acceptances until everyone has been interviewed, and then fills a LOT of the class from the alternate/waiting list. Don't give up hope!

BBB - Are you going? If so, I'll see you in August. :D Be prepared to be barraged w/ forms! ;)

22. Hamster

Hamster Member

UNC waitlisters:

My friend just got accepted off the waitlist by phone. Hurray for her ;) Boo for me ;( ;)
    I have given up hope for UNC but... Well I don't feel right complaining since I already have one acceptance..to my second choice. My friend? This was her first acceptance so it relieved some anguish for her.... Sigh I guess I can't be too jealous

Good Luck All of you are in my prayers.

23. allodoc

allodoc Junior Member

I guess the wailist of Tufts is moving because I got my acceptance on Saturday.

24. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

hey all! a friend of mine is turning down her Tufts and MCP acceptances...so a spot should open up in each of those schools! good luck to all! (and to me too!)

25. LaRa CRoFt

LaRa CRoFt Member

ARGhhhhh!! I keep hearing about movement for schools in the East but not in CA. First the school I'm waiting for said June, now they say wait for July. I'm only hoping that all this movement in the East will lead to more movement for the CA schools.

Hurrr...Ok, I let out all my frustration.

Anyone else waiting on the UC's?

26. spacecadet22

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
    Still waiting on Yale. Anyone else heard besides fre****y? I want Yale so badly!!!!

27. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Hey allodoc,
    I'm geussing your acceptance came in the form of a letter? This is a stupid question but can you describe the envelope? :rolleyes:

I'm surprised I'm not getting ulcers these days :eek: ARGHGH!

28. BigBadBix

BigBadBix Senior Member

Waitlist hopeful...yes, it was the best phone call I have received in a long time! I work full time and I haven't been able to concentrate at ALL this week. Any word from your three lists yet? I'm sure with three you will get in... To answer your other question, I was on the infamous "unranked waiting list," and I'm not sure if that is the same as an alternate list at Rochester.

I'm definitely going to Rochester. I will be in debt for the rest of my life, but I loved the school and I know I'll be happy there. My one other acceptance was at Penn State, but Hershey is a little too rural for me. (If anyone is on that waitlist, a spot will open up soon...)

Now if I could just figure out how to move across the country! I'm from Seattle so it's going to take some planning to relocate. Any info I should know about Rochester, hope88? (I've read several of your postings on the city and they are very helpful.)

OK, back to work....good luck to all of you. It is so nice to know that I'm not the only one dealing with all of this madness. :)

29. allodoc

allodoc Junior Member

Guardian,
    It was one of those big envelopes like the one they sent when inviting you to interview. Nothing out of the ordinary. The school is so expensive though.

30. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

i'm starting to lose hope that i will be able to start school in 6 weeks...
    are a lot of people pulled off waitlists in general, or is everyone on this message board just super lucky?

31. Meridianne

Meridianne New Member

if only Baylor would let me know where i stand on their list, perhaps I could figure out where I'll be next month..

32. Waitlist hopeful

Congrats again, BigBadBix! And good luck with the cross country move...maybe I'll see you there next year. :)

I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed about UMass, Tufts, and Rochester. If anyone has any other info to share, that would be great!

33. Hope88

Hope88 Senior Member

BigBadBix - I sent you a private message.

34. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

what is taking NYMed so damn long??? Has anyone gotten off the waitlist yet???

35. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    Just to let you know a co-worker of mines was interviewed late May and didn't get accepted to NYMed till mid July.... That was last year... Peace out :cool:

36. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

popoy,

thanks for the info. i have one more question--was your friend waitlisted or did he/she get an outright acceptance in mid-july? thanks again!

37. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    She got an outright acceptance!!!

38. guardian

guardian Senior Member

NYMed seems to operate in strange ways.

Neel: That sucks that Meharry starts that soon. Why don't you call Tufts up if you don't hear from them soon and tell them about it?

39. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

Doesn't anyone have any more waitlist news?? This whole process is driving me insane!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

40. nmehta

nmehta Senior Member

Guardian,

After reading the Tufts waitlist FAQ, it seems they do not care if you have other concerns or issues regarding plans/conflicts. Their attitude is that there is nothing they can do and just deal with it. So i am not sure what calling them is going to do, but I guess around mid july i am going to have nothing to lose.

I hope we are both there this fall. You sound like a good guy. Best of luck!

Neel

41. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician

Attending Physician
    After losing hope of an acceptance, I got a call today from my only waitlist telling me I'm IN. Of course, I'm very excited. The moral of the story: don't give up until classes have started!

:) :D :) :D

42. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

congrats amitha!!! you must be so relieved!!
    btw: did they call you during the day, or at night?

43. BigBadBix

BigBadBix Senior Member

Amitha...that is awesome! Which school called you??

44. BigBadBix

BigBadBix Senior Member

oops...I just read your other post, Amitha. congrats on the Univ of Cincinnati! :)

45. Amy

Amy Animal Lover
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Ivy: They called me in the afternoon.

46. phillybabe

phillybabe Senior Member

WOW CONGRATULATIONS Amitha. I can only imagine how you feel. I'm on three waitlists with no acceptances and none seem to be moving. If you dont mind, did you do anything special to get their attention?

47. phillybabe

phillybabe Senior Member

CityIvy: What other schools are you waitlisted at?

48. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

phillybabe: i'm waitlisted at three schools--nymed,umdnj,and rwj

where are you waitlisted? it looks like we're the last two on this message board that hasn't gotten IN yet. :(

49. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Neel, well at least Tufts hasn't left us in the dark completely. I haven't heard from one of my WL schools since last November! I thought it was interesting how they said something like "candidates will be chosen based on demographics: undergraduate school, location, etc." What is etc. supposed to mean? Well I hope everything works out for us!

Well City Ivy you can add me to the club. I'm waitlisted at four schools, two of them clearly don't seem to be too promising. Even though a waitlist is bad (damn can't we trade in three waitlists for an acceptance or something ;)) there are alot of people who don't even make waitlists. Btw whats RWJ?

50. CityIvy

CityIvy Senior Member

guardian: i totally feel your pain. i want nymed so much that it hurts. i don't really know if this is true, but it seems like no one really gets outright rejected after an interview--thus waitlists become huge. and to answer your question rwj = robert wood johnson (in NJ). btw: where are you waitlisted?

51. guardian

guardian Senior Member

Hey CityIvy,
    We can all use some antacids! But seriously its been mental torture.
    I'm waitlisted at 2 Sunys, Temple, and Tufts. Temple just sent me a letter telling me I'm their unlikely pool and I didn't hope too much from them to start with. Schools reject plenty of applicants. But you're right waitlists seem to be huge, guaranteeing the school that every position will be filled. I'm just mad that some people hold multiple acceptances past May 15th. May 15th is late as it is. I could understand waiting for the financial aid package between two schools, but how does that account for schools that take in 30% of their class from a wiatlist. Statistically that seems too much.

52. phillybabe

phillybabe Senior Member

Cityivy: From what I hear, the waitlist at NYmed is decreasing fast because of applicants deciding to go elsewhere. Also, I heard that their waitlist didnt start moving till early July last year. And someone I know was accepted 3 days after classes started! So dont despair.