waitlists and financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vyc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
here's a scenario that i need advice on.

let's say i've been accepted to school A and plan to matriculate there. but their financial aid package kinda sucks...

then let's say i've been waitlisted at school B but i know i won't go there over school A, no matter what.

should i still stay on the waitlist, see if i get in, and see what kind of financial aid package they might offer me?

if they gave me a better financial aid package, could i negotiate better with school A and try to get them to match school B's package?

i know it's not nice for me to stay on the waitlist at a school that i don't want to go to but i really don't want to be in $200K debt... and will do anything to decrease that even just a little...

what do people think?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really believe that people actually negotiate with medical schools. To be blunt, if the school felt that they really, strongly wanted you no matter what, they would have offered a scholarship to begin with. Unfortunately, as applicants, we are very easily replaceable.

negotiate financial aid packages? the school won't give u a dime more because you got into another school.....they will be like...if you don't like it...then go to the other school :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
•negotiate financial aid packages? the school won't give u a dime more because you got into another school.....they will be like...if you don't like it...then go to the other school :D •••••This is just not true. You CAN have schools "battle" over you. If you are talking in a "couple thousands" range. Not if it's 20K or full ride. If the schools are relatively similar, but you really want to go to one school and another one gave you a full ride, call them up and say you want to go BUT this other school which is nice, but not exactly where you want to go is giving you a ton of money..then they should try to give you a little more...

My friends have done it in the past...and it has worked...