Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

waitlists and waiting: what to do next?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by waiting08, Dec 15, 2008.

1. waiting08

5+ Year Member

I applied to 30-something schools (maybe half were reaches), primary in June and all secondaries by August.

I have had five interviews August through October, and haven't had any more invites. I'm waiting to hear from two schools, and am on waitlists at 3.

I had a low UGPA (3.3) and a higher SMP GPA (3.5), but neither was great. I have lots of experience in research, patient care, EMT, international experience etc. Doing work/research for my float year.

So, I was feeling pretty positive in October but more and more nervous as time goes on. I've sent a few updates to schools (re: work and general "I really want to interview" emails), but none in the past month or two - nothing to report, really. What should I do next? No interview invites - and the last invites tend to go out in January/early February, right?

Should I be sending empty "still doing research and working, hope to interview" letters to everyone? Should I be making calls? Is there anything else I can do at this point? Also, for waitlist schools, what tends to be successful in number of updates? Help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aznb0y129

aznb0y129 Oh hamburgers!
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I'm in a similar boat. Applied to 20 schools, secondaries completed by August. 4 interview invites total, none since early November, 3.6 GPA (sci and cum), 31N. I am lucky to have one acceptance so far though, so I'm less anxious at this point. Nevertheless, I am still waiting for 10 schools to invite, hold, or reject me.

Unless you have something substantial to contribute in your updates, I'd say it probably won't help too much. I'd say your username is pretty apt at the moment as many of us are still waiting for news.

4. waiting08

5+ Year Member

Congrats :) All I'm looking for is one acceptance to start.

#3 waiting08, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008