Waitlists While Holding onto and Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WuMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my issue:

I am currently accepted to an institution and holding onto a waitlist spot at another. The school which I am wait-listed at has sent me a letter informing me that they have purged most of their waitlist and I remain in a small pool of applicants and the dean has told me personally that he anticipates more movement in the days to come.

The school that I am holding an acceptance to wants me to start filling out some online training materials such as HIPPA, Course Registration, Medical History, etc. but groups it under a heading of "Orientation Materials." Since most of these are due July 1st and I doubt I will hear back either way from the institution at which I am wait-listed, can I start sending in these forms without having to withdraw from the wait-list at the other institution?

The Traffic Rules Read:

10. Immediately upon enrollment in, or initiation of an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school or program, each applicant withdraw his or her application from consideration at all other schools or programs at which he or she remains under consideration.

I would be inclined to say that this falls under either:
a) not an orientation PROGRAM, just filling out orientation MATERIALS
or
b) since it is due more than a month before orientation starts, it is not "an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment" (emphasis added)

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

"orientation program" refers to the actual orientation events themselves, which involves you physically being there. you can do all the paperwork and apply for housing and whatever, but once you show up at one school for orientation, you can't ditch that place if another place offers you a spot. that's what the rules are talking about.

As far as I understand, you can pay tuition and stuff.

But unless you physically are present and engage in orientation activities etc. You're locked in. The point of no return is your physical presence on campus at the first event for the class.