Waive the right to read letters of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monoloco357

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It appears that if you don't waive your right to read your letters of recommendation, AdComs will discredit the merit of those letters. That said, how do you waive your right, exactly? Is this something you have to actively reach out and do, or is it assumed if you take no action towards reading the letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a box you check. You may have to sign something as well.

It appears that if you don't waive your right to read your letters of recommendation, AdComs will discredit the merit of those letters. That said, how do you waive your right, exactly? Is this something you have to actively reach out and do, or is it assumed if you take no action towards reading the letters?

I have the same question. I have completed my primary and all of my secondaries, and have all of my LORs completed and assigned. But I never saw any option to waive or see my LORs. Where is this option supposed to appear?

don't worry about it when you're supposed to do something about it, it will be brought to your attention and just click/checkmark the right box

my uni had a LOR request form that you printed from the website and gave the instructor when you asked for a LOR. Some unis they collect the letters for you so they have you give them such a form or checkbox if it's an online process.

Some places none of this happens. I went online and found a generic "waive my right" form to sign and give some of my writers that asked, and this led me to including it to all who I asked when there wasn't a formal process as described.

Notice that you can waive your right to view your letter, and if your LOR writer offers to let you read it, that is not a violation of the waiver of your right.

The waiver thing is a legal issue you can read about but I won't get into.

Reactions: 1 user
don't worry about it when you're supposed to do something about it, it will be brought to your attention and just click/checkmark the right box

my uni had a LOR request form that you printed from the website and gave the instructor when you asked for a LOR. Some unis they collect the letters for you so they have you give them such a form or checkbox if it's an online process.

Some places none of this happens. I went online and found a generic "waive my right" form to sign and give some of my writers that asked, and this led me to including it to all who I asked when there wasn't a formal process as described.

Notice that you can waive your right to view your letter, and if your LOR writer offers to let you read it, that is not a violation of the waiver of your right.

The waiver thing is a legal issue you can read about but I won't get into.

Since I have not seen the option regarding waiving the right to see LOR anywhere in the primary/secondary apps, is my right going to be automatically waived or will my letters be invalid?

I am just worried cuz I have seen a lot of threads on this but I just dont see in anywhere on the apps!

Since I have not seen the option regarding waiving the right to see LOR anywhere in the primary/secondary apps, is my right going to be automatically waived or will my letters be invalid?

I am just worried cuz I have seen a lot of threads on this but I just dont see in anywhere on the apps!

On Interfolio, when you send the request to a professor there's the option for "confidential" which means you won't see it. Did not see anything on AMCAS but I sent everything from Interfolio

Yeah, if you do it through interfolio, it asks you if you wish to waive your right, to which you answer yes waive it.

@AAAmeds, @Monoloco357 -- did you use interfolio or the AMCAS letter service? You should, when you were submitting letters, have had the option to waive the right to see them.

This really applies to letters from anyone you relate to as a student in an academic institution. Federal law that is known by its acronym, FERPA, give you the right to see anything that a school has on file about you unless you've waived that right. Most people feel that a letter that the student has waived the right to see might be more frank than one that the writer may be required by law to share with the student, if the student requests it.

You don't have a right to read the letters your boss has written about you so there really is no right to waive in those cases.

Yeah, if you do it through interfolio, it asks you if you wish to waive your right, to which you answer yes waive it.

@AAAmeds, @Monoloco357 -- did you use interfolio or the AMCAS letter service? You should, when you were submitting letters, have had the option to waive the right to see them.
I did not use Interfolio. I used AMCAS Letter Service for all my letters and did not see this option. Did I miss something?