Waiver from the surgeon general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOLAdentist2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started applying for the army and navy HPSP back in September. I figured I'd start early and guarantee myself a scholarship. Unfortunately, due to the medical pre-screening process taking forever, it looks like at the back of the pack though and might miss out on a year of the scholarship (or any scholarship at all). Apparently I have a permanently disqualifying condition (von willebrand's bleeding disorder).

I just spoke with my army recruiter about 2 weeks ago and he said that after my app going back and forth between the AMEDD MEPS and his office (they needed more documentation a few times), that my file was sent to the Surgeon General for an official waiver. Does anyone have experience with this part of the process? Do these usually get granted if they make it up to the Surgeon General? And does this really take 60-90 days? I feel like by the time it comes back, it will be way too late, even though my recruiter keeps assuring me it's not a problem and there will be a scholarship for me. He really doesn't seem to know too much about anything though.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually just got a call from my recruiter and he said it passed! wow, I can't believe they got the waiver done 2 months earlier than expected!