Waiver Transfer Due to Family-Related Issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R2R_MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently matched into a program. Between rank order deadline and match day, a family member's health deteriorated rapidly and I am searching to transfer closer to home.

I would like to request a waiver, but I wanted to know that if a waiver is granted, does that mean you are no longer part of the program that you matched in or does it mean that you are free to contact programs regarding potential transfers.

I will not want to contact programs until I have a waiver as it is against NRMP policy.

Thank you for your replies

Members don't see this ad.

NRMP policy is that you show up on day one. There is nothing stopping you from asking for transfer later in the year (though for a start date of the following year). If you ask for a waiver, I think you're terminating your contract with the program you matched to, so if you don't get a new program, you're left without a job.

I know you want to be with your family during this time, but only you can decide if the situation is so dire that you're willing to give up your job over it without the guarantee of having another one.

If the waiver is granted both you and your program are free to consider other options. Whether that means you still have a job, depends on the preference of the program. They are not obligated to hold the position for you.

As noted above, if you say for 45 days you have met the requirements of the NRMP contract and are not required to have a waiver. There is no such thing as a residency "transfer".

What you're doing is potentially career damaging; I'm sure you know that positions are not widely available in any speciality. If being close to your family member will actually change things/make them better, but I'll bet that family member would not want to see you out of a. job.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, remember, expectation is to let them die alone. No, really. You'll get pats on the back if you do, and little besides negative consequences if you don't.

Start your program and finish it, and never look back.

You don't want to end up one of the OPs on here who don't have a residency slot. Just about anyone who had that happen felt they had what someone I know termed "put a gun in your mouth" levels of debt, problems. Combine that with familial loss and you're looking at a very dangerous recipe.

There were times that slot was hurting me more than anything in my life, and times when it was the only thing keeping my feet planted on the planet.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for the health crisis for your family and stress for you. It might help to know what the family member needs from you along what timeline. Is your family member actively dying right now? I guess probably not because there are still 3 months before starting. But your best bet in terms of obtaining a transfer would actually be to start your program and do well there so that they can amicably recommend you to another program. Or, start your program and then take a leave of absence if needed according to the progress of their illness. Is it that they need you to be their full time caregiver now and indefinitely? That might not be compatible with internship in any location.

Reactions: 2 users
Just know you seriously risk not being a licensed doctor if you mess with a sure thing

Don’t assume this is a risk free proposition

As mentioned, if you apply for, and are granted, a waiver, then your spot is gone. Programs are very unlikely to "hold a spot for you", in fact they will start looking ASAP for someone new, and usually fill the spot in short order.

Reviewing your post history, looks like you're an IMG, you're playing with fire here. You should stick with what you've got and make it work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Talk to the program you matched into about your family member's health. We have someone starting in our fellowship program this year who took a leave of absence a month into intern year because her mother's health deteriorated (and she ended up passing away).

But you have to decide if you'd rather be closer to your family member, or be a practicing physician, because that's the realistic choice you have right now.

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you for the replies, everyone. I think it would be best to holdout and start my internship year. If things get worse over the next 6 months, I may consider seeking a transfer through or outside the match but be upfront with my PD about it.

My goodness. A poster came to SDN with a thought, and was successfully convinced that it was a bad idea, and seemed to be seriously considering changing his/her mind from what the original post said.

If I had a nickel for everytime that happened THIS thread would likely be my first nickel.

Kudos to you, OP, for actually listening to SDN advice, rather than demanding you know best anyways.

Reactions: 10 users