Waiving OOS tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WellWornLad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

waive tuition? As in you don't want to pay anything or you want in-state tuition. The only way you can get in-state tuition is to follow the guidelines and see if you can prove your residency in that state.

ps, i would start getting your mail sent to your family who lives in that state

As in, I would like to get in-state tuition.

I know it sounds crazy, but I have read at least 2 posts where people talked of schools waiving their OOS status after acceptance so that they only paid in-state tuition. That certainly wouldn't be publicized in regulations or "official" residency guidelines.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, who cares if its appropriate, whats the worst thats going to happen? They aren't going to suddenly decide to reject you because of it, but I'm skeptical of these stories you've heard

A lot of OOS's in TX get in-state tuition. TX law grants those with any scholarship in-state tuition, so most schools give OOS's a small scholarship (~$500) so they get the tuition break. Of course, TX law also requires the schools to fill their classes with mostly in-state residents (~90%).

well, who cares if its appropriate, whats the worst thats going to happen? They aren't going to suddenly decide to reject you because of it, but I'm skeptical of these stories you've heard
It's true that some schools waive the extra tuition OOS students have to pay, so they only pay in-state tution. I'm speaking from personal experience. However, I think you do need to have some ties to the state to be considered for the tuition waiver.